PDA

View Full Version : LeMond question

PCR
02-20-2014, 10:19 PM
I found a LeMond Zurich in a Craigslist ad recently. I was wondering if LeMond bikes still have have any popularity these days? Enlighten me please.

carlucci1106
02-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't want to say they're not popular because certainly Trek has sold a lot of them since their acquisition in the 90s. If you mean popular with Paceline members, I'd say from what I've seen on this forum, just the CX Poprad bike has a bit of a cache here.

From what I know (I've perused some Lemond catalogs recently looking for used for a buddy), the Zurich is either a Reynolds 853 frame or an 853 or True Temper OX Plat./Carbon Spine model, they call it. If half the bike is carbon, they are purported to ride a little nicer than the straight steel tubeset, but this is just how I generalize internet reviews and such (Road Bike Review, et al.)

It is not a bike that is going to draw a crowd, but I'd rather ride one than a trek/giant/specialized. The ride will not be magical, but if it's a good deal, and you want it for a 2nd, winter, commuter, etc. I wouldn't say it's a bad purchase.

Would help me opine if there was a link to the CL ad.

cmg
02-20-2014, 11:53 PM
here's the cat for the steel frames https://archive.org/stream/LemondBicycles2001Catalog/2001Lemond#page/n11/mode/1up the attach is for the spline. if the geometry fits buy, sell on ebay if you change your mind. my take is they had a slacker seat tube angle and the top lenght was adjusted so that the rider (saddle placed in relation to the BB) had the same reach as TREK that sold them.

Exonerv
02-21-2014, 06:17 AM
I own a 2003 Zurich and I think they represent a lot of value for the money. Fine examples can be found on CL for $500-650 with 9sp Ultegra. I've read that the Bontrager wheels with paired spokes are prone to cracking, but at 155lbs, so far so good. The '03 has the 853 tubeset and has provided it's share of memorable rides. Bone stock mine weighs a hair over 20 lbs.

If you find a clean steel Zurich at a good price, buy it.

kramnnim
02-21-2014, 06:33 AM
There's a full carbon one, too! http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=LeMond&Model=Zurich

...which might just be a rabadged Madone or whatever?

PCR
02-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned it is a 1999 Zurich. Yep, hoping to use it as a second bike/winter trainer. Not sure if the top tube slopes much, I'll see.

Saint Vitus
02-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned it is a 1999 Zurich. Yep, hoping to use it as a second bike/winter trainer. Not sure if the top tube slopes much, I'll see.

Owned one, '97 I think (white/red) with 9 spd Ultegra triple/Rolf Vector wheels. Excellent bike, paid a bit much, but I was a newb. Too small for me though, is in the hands of a co-worker, fits her fine and she loves it.

polyhistoric
02-21-2014, 09:20 AM
The Carbon frames were definitely NOT a rebadged Madone - completely different tubeset, design and layup. Makes it all the more surprising they dumped the line so quickly after the investment in the molds. Bike was reasonably light, rode well with no complaints - maybe a bit flexy, but stable enough for a comfortable full-day ride and some aggressive descents.

One thing to confirm is whether the Lemond geometry works for you - longer top tube, slacker seat tube angle. I typically ride a 54, but was between a 51 and 53 in Lemond's geo.

MattTuck
02-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Just got off my 2002 Lemond Zurich, Reynolds 853. It is now on trainer/back up duties.... but it is a good bike.

The mechanic at my local shop was always trying to buy it off me. There are people who really like 'em.

GregL
02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
My only data point is a 2004 Poprad, size 55. For my needs (fendered winter trainer, dirt road bike in summer, occasional commuter and local cyclocross race), it's perfect. It really has a more classic road geometry than a cyclocross geometry. Low bottom bracket, longer wheelbase, longer top tube all make for a nice ride.

Construction and finish are only "fair." Welds are not very pretty, clearcoat is coming up on some decals, and the bottom bracket and head tube were very poorly prepared. The head tube was so poorly faced that I could not get the headset to seat in it on first building it up. My LBS reamed and faced the head tube and faced/chased the bottom bracket. After that, no issues. Still very unimpressed for an American-made frame that was originally sold as a complete bike. Obviously not much QC in the factory in Waterloo...

- Greg

redir
02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
I've got a Poprad, last year they made them, and an '89 Coors Light GL bike. My wife has a Poprad also. IDK if they are still popular at large but I'm proud two own two bikes from the only American to ever have won the Tour de France :D

soupless
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Nice bikes. I had a zurich for a while and was pleased.

PCR
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Well the bike sold before I got to it. Yes, long top tubes, my norm is 54cm so a. LeMond would need to be a 53cm no doubt. I had an Alpe D'huez in 53cm... should have never sold it.