PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise: Top Tube Brake Braze On Water Damage

donridesalot
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Bike is an all carbon Fierte. Some time ago I noticed a nick in the clear coat (no paint) near the braze on of the top tube. Over time it has begun to discolor but there is no surface damage. Looks like water and salt has gotten under the clear coat. Of course this is an expensive repair as it requires a re-paint beside stripping and reassembly as well as shipping. The total would easily reach $1K. I would be lucky to get $1500 if I sold the bike.
Without a picture that shows damage, how worried should I be? Any advise by others who have experienced this issue?

Black Dog
02-20-2014, 10:43 AM
I would suspect that if the damage is localized to one area that you could sand a re-clear that spot and not have to sand and re-spray the whole bike.

donridesalot
02-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks. Have considered this option but more concerned about how secure the cable braze on is. As there is no surface damage nor any sign of corrosion the only question remaining is how well the bond between carbon and braze on will hold up over time. I have since learned that this type of discoloring or cloudiness is not uncommon.
Thanks again.

Black Dog
02-26-2014, 11:36 AM
The braze on would have been bonded before the clear coat was applied and should not have any issues that are conflated with the discolouration. You should be good to go in terms of the braze on. Besides, a failure, if it did occurs would not be catastrophic since you would still have 80% of your braking power left intact with the front brake.

tiretrax
02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Send a picture and then call Calfee and Spidertech to get bids. If you like the frame and plan to keep it, it's worth every penny you'll spend.