PDA

View Full Version : New Ritchey Stem + Seatpost

kirke
02-19-2014, 08:06 PM
How are folks liking the new for 2014 Ritchey WCS stem and seatpost?

Specifically, the new C260 stem redesign and the new 1-bolt clamping system on the seatposts. I need a new cockpit and am considering these or Deda Zero 100.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

pdmtong
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
How are folks liking the new for 2014 Ritchey WCS stem and seatpost?

Specifically, the new C260 stem redesign and the new 1-bolt clamping system on the seatposts. I need a new cockpit and am considering these or Deda Zero 100.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

The C260 design is noticeably stiffer than a 4-axis
The use of T20 and the need to remove bar tape to change it if your bars are not round is a PITA

I cannot see whats changed about the one-bolt post for 2014...I have been using the one-bolt the past three years and no slippage or unwanted tilt. set and forget.

dziehr
02-19-2014, 11:02 PM
If you plan on swapping bars around (for fit or whatever), the C260 will be a pain. However, if you know you're going to install your bar and leave it, the stem's a great option. Note that some bars, especially those with dramatic aero flats (e.g. Zipp Vuka Sprint) will not pass through the stem.

I have the BB and wet black versions and both are stiff and impressively light. I'm meticulous with my equipment but go pretty hard on it on the road and like the security (real or imagined) of the 260 deg. clamp design.

I have one of the one-bolt posts sitting in a parts box while I finish up the frame it will go on; haven't used it yet, but it looks well made. Note that special clamp hardware (available from Ritchey) is needed if you plan to use a saddle with carbon or other oversized rails.

Rekalcitrant
02-19-2014, 11:52 PM
I have a 1-bolt ritchey seat post on a cross bike and have had trouble with it slipping. Now I really cinch it down. To be fair, it has taken a bit of a beating.

pdmtong
02-20-2014, 12:13 AM
one-bolts on dirt invariably slip. just to much bouncing force for a lonely single bolt. but for pure road...no issues at all

soulspinner
02-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Have a regular wcs stem 1 year old. C260 is a pain as stated above. Not as stiff as my Thomson, but in the real world riding with Ritchey curve bars I cant tell the difference in anything but handlebar height...........

kirke
02-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

pdmtong: The new 1-bolt posts have the single bolt facing horizontal off on the side as opposed to underneath, if that makes sense. Love the look, but have always had better luck with fine-tubing a 2-bolt post.

Also, it seems like there is tons of lightly used Ritchey stuff floating around on eBay for much cheaper than Deda. That might be what it comes down to!

zap
02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Just be careful with bay. There are suspect parts being hawked there.

metrotuned
05-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Did anyone notice the difference in the top of the seatpost on the WCS carbon seatpost? 2013 it was flared narrower near the top (on the straight version). It appears in 2014 that it is the same diameter all the way up now. Is there a functional reason?

I use the WCS carbon instead of the Superlogic because it's the lightest seatpost Ritchey makes in straight non-setback.

pdmtong
05-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

pdmtong: The new 1-bolt posts have the single bolt facing horizontal off on the side as opposed to underneath, if that makes sense. Love the look, but have always had better luck with fine-tubing a 2-bolt post.

I have been using the side facing one-bolt. Setting up my arione takes a few adjustments since the tilt is infinite with no discrete teeth to discern how much up or down you just moved the saddle. In that sense it's a pita but once dialed it has not slipped at all whether carbon or metal rails

The old Ritchey one bolts (bolt head under saddle) worked ok.
I do like the new side design a lot more

endosch2
05-04-2014, 06:22 AM
I have a full ritchey set up with the one bolt seatpost and c 260 stem, also wcs logic 2 bars. I have had no issues whatso ever. I really like the logic bars so I have them on all 3 of my bikes and I have no plans to change. This set up was for a new bike I built in the fall, i have 700 miles on it so far, with no issues.

To me Ritchey has always been pretty light and completely reliable product. I have a full ritchey set up on a serotta i have had since 2007 also with no problems at all.

pdmtong
05-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Ritchey seems to be a polarizing road brand. I have long liked their stuff perhaps since coming from mtb in the old days and that Tom is local and I've seen him on the road a number of times.

I suppose we'd all be riding enve post bar stem if we could afford but I like the Ritchey evolution and evocurve bar shape a lot. The combination of reach top shape curve and drop works well for me.

Maybe the deda and 3T crowd look down on Ritchey. I don't know since I have a dirt and not a road heritage

tigoat
05-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Ritchey's Superlogic C260 stems and seatposts are the best out there bar none. I got ride of all of my ENVE stems and seatposts after using Ritchey's Superlogic stuff.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Ritchey seems to be a polarizing road brand. I have long liked their stuff perhaps since coming from mtb in the old days and that Tom is local and I've seen him on the road a number of times.

I suppose we'd all be riding enve post bar stem if we could afford but I like the Ritchey evolution and evocurve bar shape a lot. The combination of reach top shape curve and drop works well for me.

Maybe the deda and 3T crowd look down on Ritchey. I don't know since I have a dirt and not a road heritage

I have a Comp stem and Pro hbar, Ritchey, on the Moots. And they do a great job of hanging on to the fork and being a place to the hold levers.

Well made, reliable, not heavy, not expensive.....

UberBike
05-09-2014, 11:16 PM
If your settled on a shape and size and do not plan on swapping its great stuff.
Ritchey has always been strong and reliable. The new c260 stems are noticeably stiffer for those who tend to crank on their bars. I have both the wcs c260 carbon stem and the superlogic c260 stem. Just wish I had a nicer bike. Ritchey should make a superlogic frame!

alexstar
05-09-2014, 11:26 PM
As another NorCal guy I too have a soft spot for Ritchey... good stuff and I like to support local business when possible. My MTB (Rock Lobster) is all Ritchey, wheels included. That said, my road bikes have Deda, though I may have to try some of Ritchey's new handlebars.

Tony
05-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Fairwheel did a recent stem review
http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/2014-stem-review-3/

"The 260 was the 4th lightest stem in the test and just a couple spots below middle in terms of deflection which balance it’s stiffness to weight ratio quite nicely, 7th out of 19 makes it a couple spots better than middle."