PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ultra Shift Clamp band bolt corroded....stripped

Ralph
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Had my handle bars off, wanted to change the position of the hoods on the bars, put on some new cables, etc, and the alloy bolt is so corroded with salt from sweat my T 25 Torx screwdriver just spun around. And I'm very careful to make sure it's well seated in bolt before I apply pressure. So gotta get clamp off and replace the bolt. This on Campy Centaur 2010 10 speed Ultrashift.

Does this take same clamp and bolt as the 11 speed Ultrashift?

I imagine I can either drill out bolt, or cut clamp. Which are you guys doing? If I could save the clamp, are there any replacement bolts available in steel?

Looks like replacement clamp and bolt as a kit run around $25 online. Thanks for any info.

ultraman6970
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Are you sure you did not put the wrong torx key in there??? Asking because pretty much that bolt needs to be under water like for 500 years to corrode that bad that the Torx key just turns.

If im not wrong it should be a T25... seen guys using allen instead of torx aswell.

ultraman6970
02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
I would try to use a screws extractor 1st... the clamp is too thin to use a dremel, easy to scratch the handlebars.

Ralph
02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I always use a long shaft Sears T25 Torx driver for these things. Best tool I've found for this job. Go in from side also. Here in Florida, in summer, I can wring water/sweat from my gloves after a ride. We sweat a lot.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Had my handle bars off, wanted to change the position of the hoods on the bars, put on some new cables, etc, and the alloy bolt is so corroded with salt from sweat my T 25 Torx screwdriver just spun around. And I'm very careful to make sure it's well seated in bolt before I apply pressure. So gotta get clamp off and replace the bolt. This on Campy Centaur 2010 10 speed Ultrashift.

Does this take same clamp and bolt as the 11 speed Ultrashift?

I imagine I can either drill out bolt, or cut clamp. Which are you guys doing? If I could save the clamp, are there any replacement bolts available in steel?

Looks like replacement clamp and bolt as a kit run around $25 online. Thanks for any info.

Check to make sure it's not a 5mm Allen,

Ralph
02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
These are new hood style Carbon Centaur Ultra Shift....2010. Uses the T 25 aluminum bolt. When I peel the hoods back, there is a layer of salt on everything. And I don't live near the ocean. Haven't had them off in a couple years.

terry
02-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Do what you can to save the clamp. I used a brake bolt once, the recessed one. I forget if it was one that was long enuf for the rear bridge or the fork, but it did work beautifully, it fit in the ergo body perfectly. If you have to replace the bolt in the band just get a bolt that fits then get a file and go to work to flatten the head and the sides so that it ends up rectangular and fits in the clamp. No need to pay campy money for those bits.

Ralph
02-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Just drilled it out. Lost the alloy head and bolt, but clamp is good. Unfortunately, looks like bolt and clamp come together. Might as well get an extra also. Got two bikes with these bolts and clamps. A few years ago, someone was selling these bolts in steel with allen head. Although I'm a fan of Torx.

zmudshark
02-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Ralph, if you end up with an extra band, I sure could use one. I know the damn thing is somewhere in my garage, but I sure can't find it. I just need the band, not the T-bolt.

Had my bike at the folks in S. GA once, I couldn't believe how quickly salt builds up, it's like a science project gone wild.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Just drilled it out. Lost the alloy head and bolt, but clamp is good. Unfortunately, looks like bolt and clamp come together. Might as well get an extra also. Got two bikes with these bolts and clamps. A few years ago, someone was selling these bolts in steel with allen head. Although I'm a fan of Torx.

Jim@vecchios.com has steel bolts/nuts for these.