PDA

View Full Version : road tubeless rim design and safety

dekindy
02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I primarily adopted road tubeless for what I consider the safety factor. Stiffer sidewall and tire/rim interface design that make the tire less likely than a normal clincher to dismount when the tire goes flat.

I am going to have to replace my Shimano 7850SL and am wondering if all tubeless compatible advertised rims have the same rim design as Shimano and are as secure? Or am I giving up something in security because Shimano has a proprietary design protected by patent that other manufacturers cannot replicate?

cachagua
02-19-2014, 01:21 PM
I primarily adopted road tubeless for what I consider the safety factor.. less likely than a normal clincher to dismount when the tire goes flat...

Does this happen enough to be meaningful? Once, in a lifetime of cycling, I had this happen -- due to nothing but my own inobservance.

And do you get traction that can save you from crashing when a flat tire stays on the rim, rather than blowing off? A flat tire and a bare rim get roughly equal traction -- that is, practically zero -- in my book.

I can't speak to the question of different manufacturers' rim designs, but if this really going to steer your decision, would you have to look at tires too? Just the same as rims, some fit looser and some tighter. . .

dekindy
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Bontrager support did not even understand what I was asking. They just kept saying that all road tubeless tires are compatible with road tubeless compatible rims.

Mechanic at LBS says all the road "tubeless compatible" rims are designed the same so that is good enough for me. Just because you can "convert" a rim does not mean it is as secure as tubeless compatible; something to keep in mind if you value the additional safety factor of road tubeless over traditional clinchers.

Mikej
02-20-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't know about road tubeless. As for as mountain tubeless, the stans rims with bead lock are prone to blowing off with tubes at 40 psi - a technique used to seat the yellow tape. To me, this indicates a weak rim sidewall. Most of the tubeless mtb set ups have a 35 psi max pressure, so what do road tubeless max out at? If you want safety run tubies.

dekindy
02-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I don't know about road tubeless. As for as mountain tubeless, the stans rims with bead lock are prone to blowing off with tubes at 40 psi - a technique used to seat the yellow tape. To me, this indicates a weak rim sidewall. Most of the tubeless mtb set ups have a 35 psi max pressure, so what do road tubeless max out at? If you want safety run tubies.

If you have a tubeless compatible rim and tubeless tires, which it appears you do, then I do not have a clue as to why the tire would be blowing off the rim will using a tube to seat the tape. The only thing I could think of is that the tape is not positioned properly. Call Stan and ask why.

Road tubeless tires on tubeless compatible rims will inflate to max pressure of rim or tire and will not come off. I have always ran Shimano road tubeless so have not dealt with the tape issue. Conversions I have no experience with but if installed properly and it is a rim that Stan approves; have not been a problem but not anything I want to contemplate.

pcxmbfj
02-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I cannot give references but having recently gone to the road tubeless after running mtb tubeless for years, believe that there are two "standards" similar to the mtb Universal Standard Tubeless (UST) and Tube Less Ready (TLR).

Your choice of rim will determine which tire selection is available to you, one that uses sealant as a preventative or one that requires sealant to use.

Check the Hutchinson web site and you see a select set of wheels, the Shimano rims being one, they are made to fit.

Bontrager/Trek goes the other direction.

Used the OP's experience to setup my Shimano wheels so interested in what you determine.

Mikej
02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
If you have a tubeless compatible rim and tubeless tires, which it appears you do, then I do not have a clue as to why the tire would be blowing off the rim will using a tube to seat the tape. The only thing I could think of is that the tape is not positioned properly. Call Stan and ask why.

Road tubeless tires on tubeless compatible rims will inflate to max pressure of rim or tire and will not come off. I have always ran Shimano road tubeless so have not dealt with the tape issue. Conversions I have no experience with but if installed properly and it is a rim that Stan approves; have not been a problem but not anything I want to contemplate.

No, it just doesn't work over a certain psi. Pretty well known fact in mtb circles that Stans rims with compatable tubeless tires max out at 40psi for Crest rims as stated on Stans web page, and 40 psi with tubes -from experience. The tape sort of keeps the tire from burping, which is another story....Road tubeless stans state 80-101 psi, but it says to use two layers of tape to prevent burping. Good luck. Maybe check on RBR?