PDA

View Full Version : Cancellara sets date for Hour Record attempt

FlashUNC
02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
A week after the Tour, in Mexico. Time for Tony Martin and Bradley Wiggins to step up.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/cancellara-scheduled-for-hour-record-possibly-in-mexico_317439

MattTuck
02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Awesome. Wish him all the best.

Interesting that the high altitude is preferable. I would have thought the thinner air would make it harder on the lungs/heart, but I guess the aero advantage dominates that effect.

Bring your own bottled water Fabian!

jmoore
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Nice. I'll love watching this.

I'm curious to see the bike and setup he will be using.

phcollard
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
The hour record has taken a backseat since 2000, when the UCI introduced new rules and rolled the record back to Merckx’s 1972 distance of 49.431. Its new rules stated that the cyclist must attempt the hour on a traditional bike.

Can't wait to see this! :banana:

redir
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Brutal!

nooneline
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Interesting that the high altitude is preferable. I would have thought the thinner air would make it harder on the lungs/heart, but I guess the aero advantage dominates that effect.

One acclimatizes: the body produces more red blood cells and then you stabilize. And at that point, everything is normal, but the air is thinner and you go faster.

Separately - here's Ondrej Sosenka on his Hour Record bike:

http://stefix0.tripod.com/sosenka.jpg
http://img.radio.cz/pictures/ctk0507/sosenka3.jpg
http://www.dt-sport.com/UserFiles/Image/Testimonials/Sosenka_bike_02_big.jpg

Hopefully Canc can look a bit better doing it.

Climb01742
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
wow, Sosenka's saddle and bars are in two different time zones.:rolleyes:

it will be cool to see sparticus go after the hour. hope someone will televise, if only live stream it on the web. go FC!

fuzzalow
02-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Separately - here's Ondrej Sosenka on his Hour Record bike:

Hopefully Canc can look a bit better doing it.

The UCI rules mandate use of a standard fixed gear track bike. But what should still fit within the range of homologation is a narrowing of the handlebar width, perhaps by a substantial amount. In the photo above, I am struck by how far Sosenka's arms are spread out - catching wind as it were.

Even if the UCI imposes a wide bar, Cancellara could drop into his phantom aerobar position with his forearms resting near the stem, praying mantis style.

MattTuck
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
The UCI rules mandate use of a standard fixed gear track bike. But what should still fit within the range of homologation is a narrowing of the handlebar width, perhaps by a substantial amount. In the photo above, I am struck by how far Sosenka's arms are spread out - catching wind as it were.

Even if the UCI imposes a wide bar, Cancellara could drop into his phantom aerobar position with his forearms resting near the stem, praying mantis style.

No personal experience riding on a track, but I'd guess that position might be tricky when you're dealing with banked turns at a high frequency.

I do hope it is televised also, though it may be the most boring commentary ever. They'll spend 15 minutes just talking about his equipment.

I guess the last sentence in the article was spot on. Trek has dedicated 15 people to the project, which it will use as a marketing opportunity.

Also with regard to acclimatization. Is July 22 - August 3 enough time? I hope so!

La Gazzetta dello Sport reported today that Cancellara would train on the track from April to June and build up from July 22 onwards. If he races the Tour de France, he may decide to leave early to make the 12-hour trip, with its seven-hour time difference, to Mexico City. Aguascalientes sits 500km further to the north.

FlashUNC
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
No personal experience riding on a track, but I'd guess that position might be tricky when you're dealing with banked turns at a high frequency.

I do hope it is televised also, though it may be the most boring commentary ever. They'll spend 15 minutes just talking about his equipment.

I guess the last sentence in the article was spot on.

Also with regard to acclimatization. Is July 22 - August 3 enough time? I hope so!

He could rest his forearms on there easy. The banking ain't no big thing if the track's smooth.

nooneline
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
The elbow-rest wouldn't be legit - UCI track rules mandate hands being in the drops, though the sphinx position (below) counts (sphinx bars, however, are now banned).

I'd expect Cancellara to get very comfortable with a position like that - a bit of texting to get a Hour Record-compliant bike set up with a position that will be very aerodynamic and very closely mimic his well-tested TT position.

http://www.diarioya.es/store/llaneras.jpg

ultraman6970
02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
In altitude is easier to roll a bike, thats why they are doing it in mexico.

Hope this time the thing is televised or something because from sozenka there is not even a single video and like 3 pictures moving around.

UCI should change the rules and specify steel bikes and box profile rims aswell.

jpw
02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
"The Aguascalientes track sits at 6,190 feet elevation and the thin air allows for faster speeds." - cheating :-)

"According to the report, a TV broadcast will allow fans worldwide to see the event on August 3. Trek has dedicated 15 people to the project, which it will use as a marketing opportunity." Novel.

wallymann
02-19-2014, 12:56 PM
boardman rotated his bars downward so he could rest his wrist on the now-slightly-upturned ends of the drops:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/07/27/1312189373098-350mbrl93gef-670-70.jpg

cachagua
02-19-2014, 01:02 PM
UCI should change the rules and specify steel bikes and box profile rims as well...

Yes! And you have to pin on a couple of those primitive dossards!

soulspinner
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Love to see him do it, but.........

wallymann
02-19-2014, 01:09 PM
and eddy just bludgeoned the pedals to take the record.

http://elcyclista.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/eddy_hour.jpg

David Kirk
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
If they can make a cobblestone surface on the track that would make him faster!

dave

fuzzalow
02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
The elbow-rest wouldn't be legit - UCI track rules mandate hands being in the drops, though the sphinx position (below) counts (sphinx bars, however, are now banned).

Then the UCI has certainly come a long way - going forwards with back to the past; which I have no disagreement with the UCI on this matter. This is a long way from the no holds barred rulings that allowed all of Moser's funny bikes to elbow their way into the record books. *Poof*

and eddy just bludgeoned the pedals to take the record.

In the photo, it can barely be made out the on the headtube a vertical decal. A "Windsor" sticker, as lore has it, affixed to the headtube on Eddy's hour record Colnago-built bike at the last moment.

And so, poisoned forever the relationship of Eddy & Ernesto.

tylerbick
02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
This is exciting! Truly setting modern precedence for younger riders to head back to the velodrome, the best place for JR riders to learn how to race, handle a bike, and go fast! Hooray for Spartacus!

Fixed
02-19-2014, 02:38 PM
http://pelotonmagazine.com/feedzone/trek-says-cancellara-has-not-scheduled-hour-attempt/
Cheers

nooneline
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
To me, that sounds like they're being publicly noncommittal so that Fabs can focus on Flanders and Roubaix and not even think about anything after that.

But hey, they do say it's a real project and they have a team working on it. That sounds like: UCI-compliant aero bike, Fabian in a Merckx-setup that resembles his TT position, and wind tunnel testing.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Then the UCI has certainly come a long way - going forwards with back to the past; which I have no disagreement with the UCI on this matter. This is a long way from the no holds barred rulings that allowed all of Moser's funny bikes to elbow their way into the record books. *Poof*

In the photo, it can barely be made out the on the headtube a vertical decal. A "Windsor" sticker, as lore has it, affixed to the headtube on Eddy's hour record Colnago-built bike at the last moment.

And so, poisoned forever the relationship of Eddy & Ernesto.

He pissed Ugo(DeRosa) off too by not using a DeRosa.

moose8
02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
This sounds like the perfect excuse to watch with friends and drink some beer. How often do you really get to watch someone with a real chance of breaking a record. I hope there's a bar in boston that will be showing it.

Rada
02-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Having never watched someone try and break the one hour record, I think it would be fun to see. Go Fabian. Could also spur some of the other big names to give it a try.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Having never watched someone try and break the one hour record, I think it would be fun to see. Go Fabian. Could also spur some of the other big names to give it a try.

Mee too, I wonder if it'll be on anywhere in the republic, maybe Amante's.

ultraman6970
02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Well pretty much the 1st thing you will notice is that the DS or coach will be walking around the track, some steps forward, some steps back depending on how well the rider is doing based in their time/distance chart (no idea if they are still doing this walking thing but probalby not if all the stuff is electronic). Second thing you will notice is that the 1st kilometer will be around 1:18 to 1:20 (that is not that impressive), then all of the other ones will go around 1:14 or less.

Then you will wonder how in the world the guy can do it because he will look riding extremely fast.

Then you will sheer and stuff till the attempt is finish.

Done :P

pbarry
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
The ultimate test for a cyclist. I'll be rooting for FC!

bluesea
02-19-2014, 06:53 PM
And yet if one were to read the three part interview posted in Cycling News, Ernesto has kept many fond and respectful memories of his times with EM. But yeah, a little bit of other people's dirt always brightens up a day.

jmoore
02-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Don't ask me why but this sounds like something I'd like to try. Obviously I would not be setting any records but an hour time trial on the track is intriguing.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

plattyjo
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Can't wait to watch this - he's my favorite pro cyclist!

MattTuck
02-19-2014, 07:22 PM
This sounds like the perfect excuse to watch with friends and drink some beer. How often do you really get to watch someone with a real chance of breaking a record. I hope there's a bar in boston that will be showing it.

One can only imagine the drinking games you could come up with!

Fixed
02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Rapha in s.f. Will show it I bet
Cheers

paulh
02-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Will a drone be flying overhead covering this?

kirke
02-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Cool article on the hour record in the 21st century, including the UCI rules on hour record bikes:
http://inrng.com/2013/11/uci-hour-record/

choke
02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
The Final Hour (Chris Boardman) used to be on Youtube but it appears that it's no longer there. It's well worth watching if you can find it.

zennmotion
02-20-2014, 10:00 AM
So watching this will be perverse (pain!) pleasure (ride it like you stole it!)

So- I'm sure Fabian is accepting advice from the forum. What advice shall we offer?

Silence or music choice? Constant or as "reward" for fast laps?
The day before prep? Sex or no sex?
Handlebar tape choice and color?
Post-ride beverage if he beats it? If he drops out before completion? If he just barely misses the record?

What's the advice from the peanut gallery?:help: