PDA

View Full Version : New Saddle or fitting needed

roadie7
02-19-2014, 06:42 AM
After 10 years riding on a Terry Men's Fly saddle I had the oddest problem recently. While riding one of my usual routes, my right thigh started to hurt with the pain radiating to my waist.

Since the weather has been so poor here I've only riden two times this year but was wondering if the pain came from non-use or another cause.

I was hoping that the collective wisdom of the forum could help.

Thanks.

charliedid
02-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your pain.

I would give it some time and see if the pain persists. My recommendation is to NOT change anything with your fit. That said, you might check to see that the saddle isn't broken and that your cleats have not moved.

For what it's worth it's impossible to diagnose this over the internet but my 'guess' is barring something wonky with the bike, it has nothing to do with your pain.

Good luck

AngryScientist
02-19-2014, 06:54 AM
was it cold? my muscles can do strange things when they are cold, especially if i'm riding for the first time outside in a while and it's chilly - they'll tighten right up and can cause weird results...

RedRider
02-19-2014, 08:05 AM
If the issue is the bike first look at the saddle. You've been riding the same saddle for 10 yrs... the rails might be slightly bent, the paddling might have "settled" unevenly, etc. Old saddle are often the problem and issues are often resolved by replacing even with the identical model just a fresh one.
Agree with the above. Check cleats and shoes. Are you wearing the same shoes for winter riding?
If your weight, fitness, flexibility and range of motion haven't changed in those 10 yrs your current fit should be good.

ultraman6970
02-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Maybe you are getting just old and it is time to lower the saddle a tiny bit?

zap
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Total lack of miles, could be a funky saddle, etc.

Are you stretching? Get a foam roller and roll the heck out of your muscles.

CNY rider
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
After 10 years riding on a Terry Men's Fly saddle I had the oddest problem recently. While riding one of my usual routes, my right thigh started to hurt with the pain radiating to my waist.

Since the weather has been so poor here I've only riden two times this year but was wondering if the pain came from non-use or another cause.

I was hoping that the collective wisdom of the forum could help.

Thanks.

I like the Fly saddle but I have never had one go for 10 years.
It may or may not have anything to do with your recent pain but it's time to spring for a new saddle.