PDA

View Full Version : bucket list: must-do rides

weisan
02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
So velonews came up with their own bucket list of must-do rides, many of which i have never even heard of, whch of course is not surprising as I am not loaded with cash nor retired to be out looking for them. However, I am curious what our very knowledgeable group think of the list, whether we have anything to add or subtract from it? Thanks for contributing. banana:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/velolife/bucket-list-17-must-do-rides-and-races-in-north-america_317212

The list includes:

Blue Ridge Parkway
Going-to-the-Sun Road
The Snowy Range
Dirty Kanza 200
Lake Champlain Bikeways
Natchez Trace Parkway
White Rim Trails
LOTOJA Classic
Mount Washington Hill Climb
Tour de Tucson
The Trans-Sylvania Mountain Bike Epic
L’Etape du California
RAGBRAI
Tour of Utah Ultimate Challenge
West Yellowstone to Mammoth Hot Springs
Mount Evans
Leadville Trail MTB 100

Dromen
02-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Mauna Kea - HI
Pikes Peak - CO

mjb266
02-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Mount Baker Highway-WA
Comfortably Numb-BC

witcombusa
02-19-2014, 04:43 AM
D2R2 :banana:

PSC
02-19-2014, 04:45 AM
In the PNW, I would have to say Hurricane Ridge. From the ferry terminal to the top is about 19.5 miles with over 5200 feet of elevation gain, and spectacular views.

nighthawk
02-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Great Divide is on mine.

Kirk Pacenti
02-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Great Divide is on mine.

This is the one I want to do as well. My goal is to do it in the next 2 years.

nighthawk
02-19-2014, 05:37 AM
This is the one I want to do as well. My goal is to do it in the next 2 years.

The race or just the route? I'm torn, but for me I'm thinking just the route, and to spend some time enjoying it.

1happygirl
02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
(but just the route fer sure)

WHERE DO I START?

I have this goal to do rides to keep me motivated riding (well until $ runs out)
I follow this ladies bicycling blog and this year she's doing Dirty Kanza 200 (DKR200 as she calls it-I had to look up what she was talking about. looks good)
Im with you Weisan, most I have never heard of.
Cino Heroica
Little Red Riding Hood Ride (largest women's ride anywhere I think, UT)

RAGBRAI -been on the list for years

Ride across Canada -not epic Im sure, just on my list
Tour de Tucson another been on the list
I'll stop as I have a data base of all the rides I wanna do that I made when I got re-enthused with cycling to keep me motivated. Okay couple more:
GRABBWR
Leadville Trail Yeah
P-B-P
Solvang Century
Lotsa CA and OR rides
Hmmm. Europe could take a whole lotta time too.

christian
02-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Those are some good US rides, but I think D2R2 and Cino Heroica would be on my personal list.

The weird thing about that list to ms is that some are serious races and some are just nice roads to bike ride. It's like saying the two best bike rides in Italy are the Sella Ronde and Milan-Sanremo. Which might well be true, but they're not exactly comparable.

Kirk Pacenti
02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
The race or just the route? I'm torn, but for me I'm thinking just the route, and to spend some time enjoying it.

I have no interest in racing it. I just want to take 4-5 weeks off and ride my bike through the mountains.

kramnnim
02-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Paia to the top of Haleakala? (Maui)

nighthawk
02-19-2014, 07:21 AM
I have no interest in racing it. I just want to take 4-5 weeks off and ride my bike through the mountains.

Sounds like a blast!

45K10
02-19-2014, 07:25 AM

+1 This is definitely #1 on my list. I would love to do a through hike on the AT as well, not cycling but it is also on my bucket list.

skijoring
02-19-2014, 07:28 AM
D2R2 :banana:

Their food better improve this year. 2013 it was pretty bad at the finish!
I need to talk with MLSabourin or Sandy about that. Iceberg lettuce? :confused:

The snacks and drinks along the course are fine, but that dinner was pretty grim.

45K10
02-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Mount Baker Highway-WA
Comfortably Numb-BC

I've done both of these, definitely bucket list worthy!

dogdriver
02-19-2014, 09:10 AM
I've been lucky enough to do most of the Western US rides on the list. I'd add the LaSalle Loop east of Moab...

Kirk Pacenti
02-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Sounds like a blast!

Yeah, I think so too.
The Mrs. decided it's not for her. She's excited for me to do it, but doesn't want me to go solo. The hardest part of the ride might be finding a partner who can take off for 5 weeks...

Cheers,
KP

JAGI410
02-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Seattle to Portland (this year)
Almanzo 100 (again this year)
Arizona Trail north to south (someday)
Ragbrai (someday)
Minnesota River Trail north to south (someday)

MadRocketSci
02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
it might not be "epic," but I think the Big Coast Loop from Woodside, CA is a must do for every cyclist...has a bit of all the great things that bay area riding has to offer - redwood forests, coastal towns, a touch of hwy 1, and the best twisty descents.

http://paloaltobicycles.com/resources/big-coast-loop/

katematt
02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Sandy Hook National Park out and back as soon as all this freaking snow gets out of here.

Then I'll look into crossing the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Med someday.

etu
02-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Terrible Two

Bradford
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
When I bought a touring bike from Peter Mooney in the early 90s he told me that Cape Breton Island was the best ride in North America. I remembered that and did it on my tandem with my wife about 10 years ago. He was right, it is a spectacular ride.

I would also add to the list the Icefields Parkway as a route and Ride the Rockies as an event.

gdw
02-19-2014, 09:50 AM
"The hardest part of the ride might be finding a partner who can take off for 5 weeks..."

That's easier than you might expect. Check out the forums at Bikepacking.net. It is a good place to find partners and the best website for info on the long trails. I've had invitations to ride the Divide for the past three years but not been able to take the time off. I'm planning to ride half of it this year in August and have been invited to join several groups or individuals for either the northern or southern sections.

bluesea
02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Cycle to the Sun, Haleakala ... On a road bike. The latter detail is the real challenge.

plattyjo
02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Paia to the top of Haleakala? (Maui)

This is on mine and gonna do it next week!

PBP is also on my list for next year, and I'd also love to ride L'Eroica and London-Edinburgh someday.

texbike
02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
They're not North American, but two specifics on my bucket list are the Gavia Pass and the Paris-Roubaix route through the Arenberg Forest.

Other than that, I would love to have a bike and a few months to randomly explore Tasmania and Scotland (especially the Hebrides).

texbike

christian
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
(especially the Hebrides).

I'm starting a thread. I'll call it the "Get texbike a rain cape" thread.

texbike
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm starting a thread. I'll call it the "Get texbike a rain cape" thread.

That's right. You've been there haven't you (Skye?)? Yes, a rain cape and maybe even a set of "floaties".

texbike

bking
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
101 oregon coast into northern calif red woods, hit it in the fall (lower traffic, in fact, traffic is no problem), get the weather right, not much on this continent gets better for a road ride. 5 best days i've ever spent on a bike.

Liv2RideHard
02-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Rouge Roubaix (did it last year)

Maratona dles Dolomites...must do it before I die.

http://www.maratona.it/en/

Dromen
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Then I'll look into crossing the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Med someday.

Had a kinda invite to do this in August/Sept. Hope it turns into a firm offer.

Elefantino
02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
The original bucket list:

√ l'Alpe d'Huez
√ Col de Galibier
√ Mont Ventoux
√ Champs Elysees
√ RAGBRAI
_ California AIDS ride
_ Madonna di Ghisallo
_/√ Puerto de Navacerrada*
_ Poggio, Cipressa
_ Passo dello Stelvio
_ Haleakala

*-Saw the stage but didn't ride

alessandro
02-19-2014, 03:34 PM
The list includes:

Lake Champlain Bikeways

Six-gap ride > Lake Champlain Bikeways.

I know it's just list journalism, but the bikeways are a collection of loops and rides located near Lake Champlain in VT, NY, and Quebec. You could do it as a ride, but my point is that while the routes are nice, quiet, and scenic, they're far from epic.

The Six gaps, 200 on Rt. 100 (http://100-200.org/)... anyone else want to chime in with a route?

William
02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Great Divide is on mine.

&

101 oregon coast into northern calif red woods, hit it in the fall (lower traffic, in fact, traffic is no problem), get the weather right, not much on this continent gets better for a road ride. 5 best days i've ever spent on a bike.

Have done it but would again in a heartbeat....as well as many other parts of Oregon.

William

Kirk Pacenti
02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
"The hardest part of the ride might be finding a partner who can take off for 5 weeks..."

That's easier than you might expect. Check out the forums at Bikepacking.net. It is a good place to find partners and the best website for info on the long trails. I've had invitations to ride the Divide for the past three years but not been able to take the time off. I'm planning to ride half of it this year in August and have been invited to join several groups or individuals for either the northern or southern sections.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Idris Icabod
02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
I live in Tucson and honestly I would strike El tour de Tucson from the OP's list. Not very interesting roads ridden with several thousand people, plenty of crashes, I did it my first year here and never again. If you're visiting Tucson ride Mt. Lemmon or Mt. Graham instead.

tv_vt
02-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Six-gap ride > Lake Champlain Bikeways.

I know it's just list journalism, but the bikeways are a collection of loops and rides located near Lake Champlain in VT, NY, and Quebec. You could do it as a ride, but my point is that while the routes are nice, quiet, and scenic, they're far from epic.

The Six gaps, 200 on Rt. 100 (http://100-200.org/)... anyone else want to chime in with a route?

I'm with you, Alessandro. LC Bikeways? Are you serious?

For something to put on a bucket list in Vermont, either LAMB (4 gaps-Lincoln, Appalachian, Middlebury, and Brandon - total ride about 110 miles, iirc) or Six Gaps, or Length of Vermont, end-to-end, in a day (about 200 miles). Or farther afield - in NH - the Grand Tour in the White Mountains maybe (80 miles or so).

nighthawk
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I think so too.
The Mrs. decided it's not for her. She's excited for me to do it, but doesn't want me to go solo. The hardest part of the ride might be finding a partner who can take off for 5 weeks...

Cheers,
KP

It's a 5 year plan for me. I'm hoping to move to the Pacific NW in two, and sometime in the three years following do the Great Divide. Lets catch up in a few years, maybe it'll be in the cards to ride together. My girlfriend sure as shoot isn't going to go for it.

moose8
02-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Haven't done it but the big wild ride 1200 in Alaska is on my list.

OtayBW
02-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Tahoe sounds like a hoot.

1happygirl
02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Ooo Mr Kotter, mr Kotter

I forgot the Chris king gourmet century just for the factory tour- not the food, I heard

rustychisel
02-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Canal du Midi cycle path, end to end

The Danube cycle path, end to end

Birddog
02-20-2014, 08:12 AM
I live in Tucson and honestly I would strike El tour de Tucson from the OP's list. Not very interesting roads ridden with several thousand people, plenty of crashes, I did it my first year here and never again. If you're visiting Tucson ride Mt. Lemmon or Mt. Graham instead.

I'm with you on that one,TdT making the list is s a head shaker. If TdT is on the list then HHH should be too. HHH is bigger, hotter, better supported and most of it is out in the country albeit not that scenic.

jlwdm
02-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Agree on comments about Tour de Tucson and Hotter'n Hell. Rode each once and not bucket list rides.

Jeff

Cornfed
04-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Checked RAGBRAI off the list last year. Cannot recommend highly enough, as long as you have the right attitude -- i.e., your goal should be to finish it as SLOWLY as possible. ;)

Next on the list:
California Coast Classic (great cause)
Tour de Tahoe

josephr
04-20-2014, 09:28 PM

For something to put on a bucket list in Vermont, either LAMB (4 gaps-Lincoln, Appalachian, Middlebury, and Brandon - total ride about 110 miles, iirc) or Six Gaps, or Length of Vermont, end-to-end, in a day (about 200 miles). Or farther afield - in NH - the Grand Tour in the White Mountains maybe (80 miles or so).

still hoping to take you up on the Mt. Lemmon ride someday if I can ever get back to Tucson area! Its on my list for sure...

Too many great rides to say though to come up with a short list though. Pike's Peak definitely NOT on my list....nope, not a bit.
Joe

Cornfed
04-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Checked RAGBRAI off the list last year. Cannot recommend highly enough, as long as you have the right attitude -- i.e., your goal should be to finish it as SLOWLY as possible. ;)

Next on the list:
California Coast Classic (great cause)
Tour de Tahoe

Also meant to mention Death Ride. Way down on the bucket list. Maybe last on the bucket list, in fact, if you know what I mean.

don compton
04-20-2014, 10:55 PM
After two Hampsten Tuscany tours, My bucket list is to head back there and maybe explore a few different roads.:banana:

PaMtbRider
04-21-2014, 07:52 PM
After two Hampsten Tuscany tours, My bucket list is to head back there and maybe explore a few different roads.:banana:

A Hampsten Tuscany tour is currently at the top of our list. Hopefully it will happen in the next year or two.

weisan
03-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Not mine, theirs:
Europe’s Best Bike Routes In 2014
http://travellingtwo.com/13772

#1. The Pirinexus (through Spain and France)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/12104202683_e4b9864d98_o.jpg
The Pirinexus is a 350km loop, of which 280km are in Spain and 80km are on the French side of the Pyrenees.

At the moment, it’s southern Europe’s longest marked bicycle route. The route is mostly flat, taking in a part of the Costa Brava and former railway lines. That said, you will have to climb a couple mountains with peaks of 1,000-1,500 meters. The roads leading up these mountains aren’t too steep, however. Part of the Pirinexus also tracks EuroVelo 8 from Athens to Cádiz.

#2. The Tour de Manche (France and England)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7301/12104202733_327a2ae138_o.jpg
The Tour de Manche is a bike route around the English Channel. Ferry services help you make the connection between England and France. In total it’s a route of 1,200km but there’s also a smaller version of 440km, which takes in the Channel Islands.

The Tour de Manche doesn’t always follow the coast. Sometimes it uses old railway lines and small tracks to cut across Normandy. The English section involves a few steep climbs. On the return leg, you get a wonderful view over the cliffs. You can also use the Tour de Manche route to hook up with the Vélodyssée, which runs down the coast of France towards Spain.

#3. Valsugana (Trentino, Italy)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/12104202713_4c58519eb2_o.jpg
The Valsugana route follows the Brenta river valley between Pergine Valsugana and Bassano del Grappa. It’s fairly short at just 80km. You bike nearly entirely on dedicated bike paths. The route climbs very gently (you’ll barely notice it). It the Western part you can take on some extra loops around local lakes.

The Valsugana connects to the Adige (Etsch) cycle path from Austria to Verona and the Via Claudia Augusta, going towards the Adriatic coastline.

#4. Vennbahn (Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/12104202633_4b0aa93962_o.jpg
The Vennbahn is a dedicated bike path that follows old railway lines from Troisvierges (Luxembourg) to Aachen (Germany). It’s 125 km long.
Leaving Aachen, the route climbs to 500 meters but the grade is never more than 2% so it’s a gentle climb. Save your energy! There’s a 10% climb just before the Luxembourg border. As far as the landscape goes, the bike path mostly goes through green areas and there are many signs of the area’s railway history. We’ll be cycling this route over Easter, so there’s more information to come!

Andreas
03-20-2015, 09:08 AM

6 gaps https://www.strava.com/activities/70300106
Rapha GR Hanover https://www.strava.com/activities/11572242 https://www.strava.com/activities/9652674 https://www.strava.com/activities/9723103

or any of the local UVE rides

Andreas
03-20-2015, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=weisan;1727720

#3. Valsugana (Trentino, Italy)

#4. Vennbahn (Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg)
[/QUOTE]

Done 3 and 4

ok but not great
many rides from my house in northern new england on dirt I would rate higher
be prepared for some serious slow sight seeing riding on both

weisan
03-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Andreas-pal, thanks for chiming in, what's your favs?

Andreas
03-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Andreas-pal, thanks for chiming in, what's your favs?

I have lived in New Zealand, US and various places in Europe - I limit it to stuff I have actually ridden.

Fun Loop during midsommer night sun in Sweden:
http://vatternrundan.se/
Rode this in the late 80's couple times

Favorite riding on dirt with no cars:
Upper Valley NH/VT
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2190926
many other loops like it, eg RGR 2012

Alps:
1) The Berbenno-Caldenno in Lombardy
2) http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hochalpenstrasse/strassenprofil.htm
3) Col du Jandri
Ridden many thousand miles in the alps, nowadays too much traffic for my taste though

Andalucia:
Pico de Veleta-Tijola
46km climb gaining 3000m

Thanks all for contributing, got some ideas.

joosttx
03-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Paris Roubaix sportive

Balch camp road in Kings Canyon NF

poff
03-20-2015, 10:45 AM
I have done most of the EU big passes and should say Grossglockner and Zillertaler Hohenstrasse were the best of the bunch.

bironi
03-20-2015, 11:21 AM
it might not be "epic," but I think the Big Coast Loop from Woodside, CA is a must do for every cyclist...has a bit of all the great things that bay area riding has to offer - redwood forests, coastal towns, a touch of hwy 1, and the best twisty descents.

http://paloaltobicycles.com/resources/big-coast-loop/

I'd ride the loop in the other direction because the descent of Page Mill road is one of the best I have ever encountered. That is a beautiful and challenging route.

holliscx
03-20-2015, 11:36 AM
La Marmotte
Trans-Pyrenees
Camino de Santiago
Paris-Roubaix