PDA

View Full Version : In other pro news, Peter Stetina thinks dossards are amateurish

MattTuck
02-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Print the numbers on the jersey directly, and each rider gets the same number for the whole year. Like virtually every other professional sport.

Speaking of which, can you get autographed dossards from somewhere?

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/16305/Stetina-wants-rethink-on-dossards-Cycling-is-still-an-amateur-sport-in-so-many-ways.aspx

“There are so many things that need to happen to really legitimise our sport and really make it professional. I feel that you would also make it a more popular sport if it was easier to follow. Every year there are a few times when the race numbers subject comes up, maybe when riders are travelling on the bus.

“We just say ‘why don’t we have permanent numbers?’ With something like motocross, you have a number for the entire season. It would be so simple to just implement a number system in cycling. There’s always give and take, but you are pinning on this little shoddy race number every race. Guys are cutting their numbers to make them fit their jerseys better and we are still using pins…it is like a joke. It is the same as a weekend 5 kilometre run.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/16305/Stetina-wants-rethink-on-dossards-Cycling-is-still-an-amateur-sport-in-so-many-ways.aspx#ixzz2thoqIqJy

josephr
02-18-2014, 02:05 PM
“It really comes down to the fact that cycling needs to be reformed. It is still an amateur sport in so many ways, even in that there is no decent riders’ union,” he explained.

yep ---- that's it...a riders' union. that's going to go over real well with the sponsors.
Joe

cachagua
02-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Aw, it'll work out. . . a few strikes, lockouts, some gunplay and deaths, and it'll settle down just like steel or railroads did. Give it time.

Mr. Pink
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
yep ---- that's it...a riders' union. that's going to go over real well with the sponsors.
Joe

F1 drivers did it successfully, and it made their sport 100 times safer.

jmoore
02-18-2014, 02:43 PM
I like the idea of permanent numbers. It would require some rework of the kits to put some space on there for them, but that's easy enough.

They could certainly color code the numbers or place a stripe or captain's C on the chest of the team leader for the race to replace the #1 designation now. Things of that nature.

torquer
02-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Dossards: I learned a new word today!
This would really be a boon to the makers of team replica jerseys, catering to all the [name] fanboys out there (or not, since they would need to stock multiple riders' jerseys).:confused:
One (maybe minor) problem I see with this is that ProTour teams have 25-30 rides under contract, so you've got numbers up to 600 or so. Add the Pro Continentals, etc. and you're well into four digits. I like the current setup, where a team leader is number 1, 11, 21 etc., and this would be lost. But that's just me.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
This would really be a boon to the makers of team replica jerseys, catering to all the [name] fanboys out there (or not, since they would need to stock multiple riders' jerseys).:confused:
One (maybe minor) problem I see with this is that ProTour teams have 25-30 rides under contract, so you've got numbers up to 600 or so. Add the Pro Continentals, etc. and you're well into four digits. I like the current setup, where a team leader is number 1, 11, 21 etc., and this would be lost. But that's just me.

But its simplified by the fact that each team's jersey is different.

No one's going to confuse #1 on Team Sky with #1 on Lotto Belisol. Except for Phil Liggett, but he still thinks Team Kelme is in the peloton and hasn't correctly identified a rider in a breakaway since 1998.

Like the the idea. You're not stuck with thousands of numbers. Each guy on the team gets a number 1-30. Each team is different. Winner winner chicken dinner.

tiretrax
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM

No one's going to confuse #1 on Team Sky with #1 on Lotto Belisol. Except for Phil Liggett, but he still thinks Team Kelme is in the peloton and hasn't correctly identified a rider in a breakaway since 1998.

Like the the idea. You're not stuck with thousands of numbers. Each guy on the team gets a number 1-30. .

Was about to say the same. The same thing is done in every pro sport. Each team uses two digit numbers. Up to some point, I believe that certain number series in football uniforms were relegated to certain positions (at least, I remember players switching jerseys in a game to play in a different position).

CunegoFan
02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Maybe the UCI should go back to allowing riders to decide whether they want to wear helmets so everyone does not look like a robot.

Cycling has a lot more important problems than dossards.

1happygirl
02-18-2014, 07:25 PM
snip

Cycling has a more important problems than dossards. Definitely!!!!

snip

me too. PBT rules

bikinchris
02-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Like the the idea. You're not stuck with thousands of numbers. Each guy on the team gets a number 1-30. Each team is different. Winner winner chicken dinner.

As a former official, that's a horrible idea. Trying to score a race with several numbers the same is a nightmare. The biggest races have automatic timing chips, but it is always good to have a manual backup just in case. There is money on the line and you don't want to have egg on your face at the finish.
Numbering the riders with last years overall placing would be fine. Each level of pro could have their own numbers to keep them below 1000 and if a lower level (continental) rider makes it to the top squads during the season, you could renumber them at the back of the pack.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
As a former official, that's a horrible idea. Trying to score a race with several numbers the same is a nightmare. The biggest races have automatic timing chips, but it is always good to have a manual backup just in case. There is money on the line and you don't want to have egg on your face at the finish.
Numbering the riders with last years overall placing would be fine. Each level of pro could have their own numbers to keep them below 1000 and if a lower level (continental) rider makes it to the top squads during the season, you could renumber them at the back of the pack.

Even at just the Pro Tour level? Considering the high speed cameras at the finish line that just showed Boonen edging out a sprint, I don't see why the same can't be used for seeing #10 from Team Cannondale edged out #10 from Movistar for 20th place.

pbarry
02-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Maybe the UCI should go back to allowing riders to decide whether they want to wear helmets so everyone does not look like a robot.

Cycling has a lot more important problems than dossards.

Right, 'cause how they look is more important than their safety. Please write your "blog from the peloton" and post a link here.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Right, 'cause how they look is more important than their safety. Please write your "blog from the peloton" and post a link here.

I'm sure Andrei Kivilev would love to contribute.

rain dogs
02-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I like the idea of tennis-like rankings. Give the #1 to the top ranked rider.

I don't like the idea of 4 digit numbers.

It's not perfect, but the alternatives seem logistically worse.

pbarry
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Pro cycling is still in the Dark Ages. Move forward.

MattTuck
02-18-2014, 09:32 PM
For the amount of money they spend to make the rest of their equipment so aero, I'm surprised pin on dossards have lasted as long as they have. Just think of the wasted watts when one corner comes undone.

Who says you have to use numerals 0-1? You could use 0-1 then A-Z (by my calculation, that would allow 36 x 36 two digit combinations (1296) you could have each team have a letter prefix, and all the team members have numbers preceding that, for example, Omega PHarma QUickstep could have numbers A0 - A99. Would allow for 26 teams.

I'm sure it could be done, cycling has undergone bigger changes, like introduction of trade teams, multiple geared bikes, etc.

:banana::banana::banana:

Mark McM
02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Was about to say the same. The same thing is done in every pro sport. Each team uses two digit numbers.

This may be true in professional field sports (where there are only two teams competing at a time), but it is not true in professional racing sports (where there may be many teams competing at the same time). For example, in professional triathlon, number bibs are assigned for each event. In professional auto racing, each racer has their own unique number, often used through out their professional life in that particular sport.

Mr. Pink
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
As someone said above, I'm surprised that this hasn't been done already, because of the large amount of money that could be made with merchandising. Anybody a baseball fan? Football? Hockey? Do you know how much money is made every year in individual numbered and named t shirts and jerseys? Sure, bicycling is a smaller market, but still........

Hawker
02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
I've thought this would be a good idea for decades. Go to a Crit and its almost impossible to identify the riders. Road racing on TV as well. Great idea.

bikinchris
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Even at just the Pro Tour level? Considering the high speed cameras at the finish line that just showed Boonen edging out a sprint, I don't see why the same can't be used for seeing #10 from Team Cannondale edged out #10 from Movistar for 20th place.

The reason is sometimes Murphy's law prevails and things don't work. Most crews do manual backups to electronic timing and writing down a list of riders like Movistar 10 and Cdale 10 is a major difference from 231,45,12--67.
In sports where people use one number all year, they all have unique numbers.

CunegoFan
02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
As someone said above, I'm surprised that this hasn't been done already, because of the large amount of money that could be made with merchandising. Anybody a baseball fan? Football? Hockey? Do you know how much money is made every year in individual numbered and named t shirts and jerseys? Sure, bicycling is a smaller market, but still........

Sorry. This is cycling. Anyone who supports their favorite pro team by purchasing a jersey or--Jebus forbid-!-an entire kit is a poseur. Most middle aged recreational riders are so lean and ripped that they will be mistaken for a pro if they wear a team jersey. I have seen the studies; it is true. It is like a form of identity theft. Even though nearly all look like pros, they did not earn the jersey so they do not want to turn down requests for autographs. Sales will be minimal, except to the freds.

gianni
02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Sorry. This is cycling. Anyone who supports their favorite pro team by purchasing a jersey or--Jebus forbid-!-an entire kit is a poseur. Most middle aged recreational riders are so lean and ripped that they will be mistaken for a pro if they wear a team jersey. I have seen the studies; it is true. It is like a form of identity theft. Even though nearly all look like pros, they did not earn the jersey so they do not want to turn down requests for autographs. Sales will be minimal, except to the freds.

Spot on luv it! I love the team rides, 2 hrs, 30 sausages, full kit with matching shoe covers --silly.

torquer
02-21-2014, 10:07 AM
In professional auto racing, each racer has their own unique number, often used through out their professional life in that particular sport.
Also, big difference with auto racing is that "teams" are what, 2 cars per race? (That's F1; don't Nascar teamates often have different sponsors?)

Mr. Pink
02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Sorry. This is cycling. Anyone who supports their favorite pro team by purchasing a jersey or--Jebus forbid-!-an entire kit is a poseur.

Well, yeah, I agree. Nothing more stupid looking than all of those people sitting in Yankee Stadium wearing what must be a few hundred dollars worth of Jerseys and hats. But, you know, ca ching, says the MLB.