PDA

View Full Version : Campy questions

SamIAm
01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Let me start by saying that I typically use Shimano shifters, but I recently had a bike built up with Campy Chorus 10 speed. I notice that my shifts are noticeably louder with the Campy stuff. Especially when going from small to larger cogs. It always gets on to the right cog, but usually with great fanfare. Is this normal?

Secondly, I would like to use a 13-29 cassette and I have access to a short and long rear derailleur, but not a medium. Can I use the short/long or do I have to find the medium?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dude
01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
The fanfare is normal...and beautiful.

For the the 13-29 cassette, if you have a 53-39 up front, you can use the medium cage rear. der. If you have a triple up front, you will need the long cage der.

If you are switching back and forth between and smaller cassette and the 13-29 you will only need one der. but know that the actual length of chain required for the two cassettes will be different.

Does that last part make sense?

aminadab
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Campy stuff is louder -- and that's the appeal for some. But, if by "fanfare" you mean it takes a bit of time or is rough, then it sounds like you need an adjustment. Are the components new? Perhaps the cables streched and you need to straighten things up after a break-in period. Does shifting word better in one direction than the other? From everything I've read, it sounds like you do need a medium cage deraileur if you're going to run 13-29. I'd heed that suggestion, especially if you're focusing on smoothness, etc. But perhaps there's someone out there who has experience running a long cage with that cassette and can verify that it doesn't matter that much. I know I've run a Chorus bottom bracket with a Centaur despite that combo being "impossible."

flydhest
02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm fairly certain that you can't use the short derailleur. I'm certain (from experience) that you can use the medium. I think you can also use the long. What the medium allows you to do is to switch between the 13-29 and smaller cassettes. If you don't need to use the smaller ones and will stick with the 13-29, I think the long should work.

SamIAm
02-01-2006, 08:20 AM
The components are new and so are the cables. They may have stretched, but the shifting works great going down, but it seems when I shift up that it overshifts and then falls back onto the right cog. If try to jump 2 cogs it works much better.

As far as the 13-29, if I understand the responses, it sounds like if this will be my only cassette (and it will), I can use the long cage derailleur and I will need to buy a new chain. Is that right?

The Spider
02-01-2006, 08:30 AM
The long will work just not as crisp / sharp. long is definetly sold for triples with 13-29 or less....just don't tell it you only have 2 chainrings up front!

I was horrified by the performance of my Record for the first....400 to 600 miles, loud clunks a very small pause before shifts....but when they say "Shimano wears out, Campy wears in" they are talking about the break in period. After a couple hundred miles it should settle down to pure loveliness, if it doesn't - take it in for adjusting. Coming from Shimano I expected perfection off the showroom floor. Changing my 2nd bike to Campy was alot easier because of my expectations and knowledge.

PBWrench
02-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I use a medium cage with my 13-29 which I put on for trips with a lot of climbing. By the way, I run a 34/50 FSA compact with the Campy CT frt der, and that combination works extremely well (approx. same range as a triple configuration with 12-25, 39-53). I switch back out to my 12-25 and my short cage, and haven't needed to adjust chain length. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Campy!

chrisroph
02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
If you are going 13-29 with a double in the front the best option is to use a short cage centaur. It has slightly different geometry than record/chorus and it shifts fine with a 13-29. I have I think 3 centaur rear drlrs on various bikes and they shift as well as record/chorus, cost a lot less, and can run the big rear cogs for your winter bike, cross bike, etc.

OldDog
02-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Your shop can order a replacement cage in medium. They are easy to swap out. About $80.00.

SoCalSteve
02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
The components are new and so are the cables. They may have stretched, but the shifting works great going down, but it seems when I shift up that it overshifts and then falls back onto the right cog. If try to jump 2 cogs it works much better.
As far as the 13-29, if I understand the responses, it sounds like if this will be my only cassette (and it will), I can use the long cage derailleur and I will need to buy a new chain. Is that right?

Simple rear der. adjustment. You can probably do it yourself. Turn the adjustment knob (1/4 turns only, a little goes a long way) by the der. in the direction that you want the chain to go. Simple!

Good luck!

Steve

Too Tall
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Sam, your r. der. is not adjusted correctly or you are shifting in a less than demonstrable manner ;)...ummm I mean you need to shift crisply esp. with campag. None the less, your shifts should result in the gear change and no fanfare or hunting.