PDA

View Full Version : Wiggins targets Roubaix?

MattTuck
02-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Is it too early to discuss the classics? No! Not sure that having GC guys in the mix will figure into the final outcome.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-target-paris-roubaix-113900

Sir Bradley Wiggins (Sky) will try to go from Tour de France king to cobble crusher, taking aim at Paris-Roubaix this spring.

He will also target the Tour of California and support Chris Froome at the Tour.

“I always remember the press cuttings from when I was a kid,” Wiggins told The Guardian. “Roubaix is always something and I’d love to win it, to be part of that final [shakedown], that final 40 or 50 kilometres, so many things come together to have to win that race, or play a part, even if it’s doing a job for Geraint Thomas or whatever.”

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-target-paris-roubaix-113900#Mel7DA1sowhti0Ks.99

Fixed
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
I am waiting on pins and needles
Wiggins winning p.r.
I don't think so
F.c. has that as a goal
One thing it will be exciting
Cheers

bluesea
02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Is it too early to discuss the classics? No! Not sure that having GC guys in the mix will figure into the final outcome.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-target-paris-roubaix-113900

"GC guys" have ridden strongly in and have won P-R, and I'm not talking about EM.

MattTuck
02-18-2014, 11:18 AM
When I read "GC guys", I am thinking that the folks teams will bring to the race are going to be the Contador, Nibali, Schleck type riders... to give them 'exposure to real race conditions' on the cobbles. The GC guys who can time trial probably have a more realistic shot to figure in the race, like Wiggins.

If Schleck wins Paris-Roubaix, that means something very interesting must have happened.

It doesn't matter though, as I've already picked Phinney for the win.

cfox
02-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Wiggins was a GC guy once in his life*: a climbing-lite, TT heavy TDF in which he wasn't the strongest rider on his team. He is actually more suited to a race like PR vs a grand tour, especially with a little track muscle back on him.

*ok, he was pretty good in 2009 too

jpw
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
It's Strade Bianche on the 8th of March. I really like it. Can't wait.

firerescuefin
02-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I am waiting on pins and needles
Wiggins winning p.r.
I don't think so
F.c. has that as a goal
One thing it will be exciting
Cheers

Disagree with this. He's got the type of engine that could be tuned for the race.

Not likely the winner, but if it's a targeted race, he could be in the final selection.

…just saw CFOX's post…agree with his take

blessthismess
02-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Not sure if he will win or not but it is exciting to see some more "big name" guys getting excited about the spring classics. It used to be that people raced almost all year, starting with the classic 1 day races and then the vuelta, giro and tour etc. Now it seems its all about the big tour. I guess the giro too.

Shortsocks
02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Wiggins is one of my favorite riders for sure. And as much as id love to see him win, I feel as if it's a advertising thing for sky. Team Sky doest have a really good contender for PR. He's not what he used to be two years ago but he's still a massive draw for England and Sky.

I wish him all the luck in the world. But Fabian and The Coke head are hard to beat.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Wiggins is one of my favorite riders for sure. And as much as id love to see him win, I feel as if it's a advertising thing for sky. Team Sky doest have a really good contender for PR. He's not what he used to be two years ago but he's still a massive draw for England and Sky.

I wish him all the luck in the world. But Fabian and The Coke head are hard to beat.

I wouldn't count out Thomas or Stannard if they're on a good day for Roubaix. Thomas has won the junior edition of Roubaix after all. Not sure if he's got Roubaix as part of his program this year though.

jpw
02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't count out Thomas or Stannard if they're on a good day for Roubaix. Thomas has won the junior edition of Roubaix after all. Not sure if he's got Roubaix as part of his program this year though.

Thomas has a chance....*if* he can stay upright for long enough. he's a bit of a crash magnet at PR.

jpw
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Tony Martin can tt but he's unlikely to win PR. Cancellara can also tt (as we all know), and 2010 was his ultimate demo of that art. Wiggins could win if he makes the final selection, others miss it, and he's on a great day. an unlikely combo, but it does happen.

I'd like to see a wet PR this year.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd like to see a wet PR this year.

I think we all win if that happens.

My dark horse for the race is Stybar. Save for an idiot fan, he's on the podium last year.

cash05458
02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
wiggo "targets" P-R? He had better find a new target I think...

he will get crushed...guys in the order of empire have not really faired very well in that great race...luck to him tho...I am sure it will be great publicty tho in England...

cash05458
02-18-2014, 03:04 PM
this from me as well:

"My dark horse for the race is Stybar. Save for an idiot fan, he's on the podium last year."

He rode a great race last year...first timer as well...monster...

Shortsocks
02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

No. No. Youre right. I agree with you. Thomas and Stannard are very solid. Damn Brain Farts. Good Thinking. :eek:

Fixed
02-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Disagree with this. He's got the type of engine that could be tuned for the race.

Not likely the winner, but if it's a targeted race, he could be in the final selection.

…just saw CFOX's post…agree with his take
I am a fan of b.w. But
I do not think he has the typical body type for
p.r.
Nothing wrong with the engine though
Cheers :)

Fixed
02-18-2014, 03:07 PM
It's Strade Bianche on the 8th of March. I really like it. Can't wait.
Cool

cash05458
02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
the problem is Sky...not matter the lip service given to the press...won't really back a Classics team...they will be there, sure...but it won't be serious...it will be all Froome and tour this year...alot like postal and hincapie...I can't see a Brit winning a big Classic in any way this year...maybe a minor one with Stannard or Thomas...