PDA

View Full Version : gotta be some great riding around Carlsbad, CA

wallymann
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
possibility wifey will be out there for a conference in summertime and i wanna bring my bike along! any paceliners that know the area, please post up info about rides/routes/etc.

with this crappy winter in MI i REALLY need something to look forward to.

DY123
02-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Yes there is.

If you want rolling coastal, just head south along the 101.

If you want hills head east (Escondido, San Marcos, lake hodges, Rancho Santa Fe areas).

If you want mountains keep heading east and do Palomar Mountain or surrounding areas east of Escondido.

Check websites like strava or google the "Swami's ride".

There is something for everyone. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Fixed
02-18-2014, 11:01 AM
if you visit s.f.
p.m. me for a bike ride hook up
cheers :)

ptourkin
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes there is.

If you want rolling coastal, just head south along the 101.

If you want hills head east (Escondido, San Marcos, lake hodges, Rancho Santa Fe areas).

If you want mountains keep heading east and do Palomar Mountain or surrounding areas east of Escondido.

Check websites like strava or google the "Swami's ride".

There is something for everyone. It just depends on what you are looking for.

What he said - spectacular riding right out the door. If you're fast and here on a Wednesday, check out the Pendleton ride. Many pros check in during the offseason and compete in the final sprint. Cav was in it a few weeks ago. During the rest of the year, just local celebs, including a lot of pro motorcycle racers cross-training. If you're a climber, the Del Dios loop (Swamis and RSF above) and Palomar are musts. Also, if you're around on a Tuesday night from Spring till late fall, come down to SD and check out Tuesday Night Racing at the velodrome. Feel free to PM.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
possibility wifey will be out there for a conference in summertime and i wanna bring my bike along! any paceliners that know the area, please post up info about rides/routes/etc.

Find the road next to the coast, ride south all the way to Scripps hospital, return to Carlsbad. Great ride thru the coast communities.

Swami's ride, did that once, just once. Swami's beach still there?

bloody sunday
02-18-2014, 11:40 AM
What he said - spectacular riding right out the door. If you're fast and here on a Wednesday, check out the Pendleton ride. Many pros check in during the offseason and compete in the final sprint. Cav was in it a few weeks ago. During the rest of the year, just local celebs, including a lot of pro motorcycle racers cross-training. If you're a climber, the Del Dios loop (Swamis and RSF above) and Palomar are musts. Also, if you're around on a Tuesday night from Spring till late fall, come down to SD and check out Tuesday Night Racing at the velodrome. Feel free to PM.
I'm moving back down to San Diego soon, where's the velodrome? I got into cycling while I've been up here in the Bay.

And for the TS: every time I visit my in-laws in Encinitas, I'm out riding on the coast. It's beautiful and kinda perfect for the cyclist. Great weather, amazing routes - what more could you ask for?

Saint Vitus
02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm moving back down to San Diego soon, where's the velodrome?

Morley Field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/San+Diego+Velodrome/@32.7373495,-117.1425168,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x80d954924e1d31bd:0x74b2db4112a61 d6d)

Ken Robb
02-18-2014, 12:44 PM
I think if you search the archives here you will find lots of info on rides around San Diego County which includes Carlsbad. Temp at the beach today is only supposed to get to 65F but 75F is expected tomorrow. :banana:

Ken Robb
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
You should know that we have a rule of thumb that temps in Summer can rise 1 degree F for every mile inland from the coast so you can pick your climate for a day's ride. The coast rarely gets over 80F but 90-100F is common inland. OTOH if you go inland to the mountains you can ride in comfort at 4-5,000 ft.

Dromen
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Walter,
Whats worse, the winter or the roads around detroit? I found the Hines Park route and dont even bother with sharing the chuckholes with autos anymore.

Really, we can get back to the Carlsbad thing but PM me on where you ride in the D-troit area. Ill buy you an apre ride bevie next time i am visiting mom.

Steve

wallymann
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Whats worse, the winter or the roads around detroit? I found the Hines Park route and dont even bother with sharing the chuckholes with autos anymore.

this year, both. winter has been brutal, state gubment says the worst since 1951 when they started keeping records of that sort...and the state road commission has already warned that when the melt comes the roads will probably be the worst ever and by a big margin. i have no reason to doubt that, as the frost-heaves are really really noticeable this year and the chuckholes that have already appeared are bigger than ever. i'm dreading it, but at least i wont be holed-up in the basement.

holla when you're in the area, maybe we can linkup for a ride. i like getting out west when i can...northville, AA, dexter, chelsea, etc.

Dromen
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Cant imagine any of the items in your current or former(maybe the Bstone CX) lineup on the third world nation shoulders i witnessed.

Back to Carlsbad...better topic.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Check these rides out. Awesome riding:

1. Lilac Loop: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/347066303

2. Palomar Mountain: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/347067517

3. Shorter ride: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/347072197

carpediemracing
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
My 2004-2011 "training camps" (visiting a good friend who is a former teammate, former LBS coworker, best man, etc and his family including his ex-racing wife) was based out of Vista. Carlsbad was my throughway if I was riding on the coast, aka recovery. The PCH is pretty incredibly right down to Torrey Pines (if you skip a few blocks of Encinitas by heading west a block) and decent going north into Camp Pendleton.

There's some way to get to Double Peak but I don't know where it is off the top of my head. It's a good short ride from Carlsbad.

I spent a lot of time going out to the PCH on Palomar Airport Road. I headed inland to the Lake Wohlberg hill on the way to Palomar. The riding out there is really nice.

For a CT person the bike lane / shoulders are a dream.

There's more of course but in 10-14 days I'd usually stick with 3-4 known main routes and adjust based on how I felt.

It's great out there. Enjoy.

biker72
02-18-2014, 05:00 PM

What a coincidence. I've been looking at a quick bike trip to Carlsbad this month or next. Being old and slow I'l probably wind up doing the coastal route...:)

Lots of good information in this thread. keep it coming...

danield
02-18-2014, 06:09 PM
http://app.strava.com/segments/belgian-waffle-ride-2013-edition-3782396

Lanternrouge
02-18-2014, 09:43 PM
The riding in the Carlsbad area is fairly good, however the traffic near the coast can be a bit annoying at times. As others have mentioned, Pacific Coast Highway is a nice ride and it is a really easy route to remember. If you want to stay flat, going up through Pendleton is quite lovely and once you get past the first few miles of the base, there is little traffic.

If you want to avoid traffic lights, heading northeast out towards Bonsall is a good option. The West Lilac/Circle R ride that someone else has mentioned is very nice. It is particularly nice when you are not focused on pushing the pace and you can look around because the scenery is good.

There are a number of options here depending on what you're looking to do and how much time you have. If you have a GPS unit, you can download rides onto it and kind of feel like you know where you're going.

jbrainin
02-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Do a search on Strava (or ridewithgps.com or…) for Elfin Forest. You won't regret it.

choke
02-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Since Camp Pendleton has been mentioned a couple of times, my curiosity gets the best of me: do they still allow cyclists to ride the old highway on the base?

ptourkin
02-18-2014, 10:40 PM
You can still ride through there. The Wednesday ride that's been happening for like 30 years still does it. Personally, I take the 5 and avoid it. It's faster and believe it or not, maybe safer. A North County Transit District bus took out 3 riders going through the base last year, killing one. I finished a 300k brevet Saturday night on the freeway at night and felt perfectly safe.

If you do go through the base, you need ID.

choke
02-18-2014, 10:48 PM
You can still ride through there. The Wednesday ride that's been happening for like 30 years still does it. Personally, I take the 5 and avoid it. It's faster and believe it or not, maybe safer. A North County Transit District bus took out 3 riders going through the base last year, killing one. I finished a 300k brevet Saturday night on the freeway at night and felt perfectly safe.

If you do go through the base, you need ID.Thanks. It's been a while since I was there but I thought back then they would let civilians ride on the old highway which parallels I-5 but not on the regular roads. IIRC you could hop onto it just past the Pulgas Gate.

Congrats on the brevet!

Ken Robb
02-18-2014, 11:51 PM
If you want a nice mountain ride park at the bottom of the South Grade of Palomar Mountain and grind up the curvy road to the top. Have some refreshments at Mother's Cafe near the top. If you want a little more climbing but less steep you can ride up to the observatory and then coast back to Mother's. Then take the East Grade down. It is less steep and has more sweeping turns than the South Grade so it can be a lot of fun carrying big speed. When you get to the bottom hang a right on the highway back to your car. This leg is also mostly downhill so you are well-rewarded for the work you did climbing the South Grade.

Funny story: I was up at Mother's one day on my Ducati when an OLD guy on a nice CSi pedalled up and asked me to watch his bike while he called his wife. He lived in Valley Center and climbed the mountain 2-3 times a week. The deal he made with his wife was that when he got to the top he would call her before he bought his frozen yogurt treat. He was 83 and his wife worried about his heart. :banana:

DrSpoke
02-19-2014, 10:14 PM
I live in Escondido and often ride the roads North from me - Circle R and Bonsall mostly. On Monday I took Lilac Rd from Circle R and went up Couser Canyon and then Rice Canyon to Rainbow and returned via Hwy 395 past Fallbrook and by Bonsall. Both Couser Canyon adn Rice Canyon are very scenic routes with little traffic though with some climbing. There are also lots of nice routes in the Rancho Santa Fe area.

Hey Ken - I've got a couple of Ducatis myself though not on the road at this time. And my bicycle is a Ducati by Bianchi as well.

Ken Robb
02-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Hey Ken - I've got a couple of Ducatis myself though not on the road at this time. And my bicycle is a Ducati by Bianchi as well.[/QUOTE]

You must be one sick puppy. :)

radsmd
02-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Although there are plenty of nice rides in Carlsbad, I still long for the roads that I have either ridden in the past or have never ridden at all. I guess that everything gets boring if you do it enough times.

Used to live in the Bay Area and discovered that when I moved back down to Southern California that I had taken the amazing scenery, nice roads, and courteous people for granted. Now, I try to make it back up there to ride as much as I can.

If you are in Carlsbad/North County San Diego area, let me know. Would love to go ride with some fellow paceliners.

Tan

bloody sunday
02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Although there are plenty of nice rides in Carlsbad, I still long for the roads that I have either ridden in the past or have never ridden at all. I guess that everything gets boring if you do it enough times.

Used to live in the Bay Area and discovered that when I moved back down to Southern California that I had taken the amazing scenery, nice roads, and courteous people for granted. Now, I try to make it back up there to ride as much as I can.

If you are in Carlsbad/North County San Diego area, let me know. Would love to go ride with some fellow paceliners.

Tan

Hmm... I live in the Bay now, but originally from San Diego - and am moving back down to North County very soon. I think it's the opposite for me, I would MUCH rather ride down south than up here. Drivers are still crazy everywhere, and I like the scenery more down south.

wallymann
05-02-2014, 08:59 AM
http://app.strava.com/segments/belgian-waffle-ride-2013-edition-3782396

so i was reviewing this thread and just today i saw a post over @ PEZ about the belgian waffle ride!

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latestnews?id=125944#.U2OkgFd5HAw

ptourkin
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Neil Shirley of RBA won this year (and last.) To let you know how tough it was, Ryan Trebon only managed third - for the really good guys, it was more of a road race than a dirt ride, though.