PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should call it a day

don compton
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM
I am 62 and have been riding since '84. I have never raced but have ridden plenty of hard rides over the years. Here's the deal. I am increasingly not enjoying club rides. I sometimes find myself critical.
I just think that I am entering the next step in my riding experience.
Today's riding seems so different from the old days where we would try to keep a pace to keep everyone part of the group.
Probably just a rant

rustychisel
02-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I am 62 and have been riding since '84. I have never raced but have ridden plenty of hard rides over the years. Here's the deal. I am increasingly not enjoying club rides. I sometimes find myself critical.
Today's riding seems so different from the old days where we would try to keep a pace to keep everyone part of the group.
Probably just a rant

It is a rant, but likely well justified. Don't call it a day, just go lone wolf. Better yet, start a group ride and if the angst and macho gets to you just tail off the back and meet them at the coffee shop. The smart ones in the group will pick up the signals and ask an appropriate question, which is your opening to explain a group ride doesn't have to be an antsy dangerous faux-race peloton, and in fact it's a lot better if it's not.

The slightly senior in me (you've got about 10 years on me) likes to think I'm slow and old, which is true, but I also like to think the enormous uptake in cycling these last 5 years or so means there's an awful lot of dickheads out there who know jack about real riding (which I do, of course :mad::confused:). They'll barge a group, half wheel, blow off the front during their turn in a paceline, stuff like that. We all see it.

I like that my sport is becoming very popular again, I'm less admiring of the fact that such poor riders get to dictate terms because they're younger and faster. Even less that so many rides now are races for cheap thrills, so more often than not I break out the fixed gear and go at my pace.

Anyway, enough about me. When your mojo goes don't give it up, just break or vary the routine.

Anarchist
02-17-2014, 11:10 PM
I quit "group riding" about 8 years ago. The testosterone junkies and junior racer boys were just pissing me off so much I hated the rides. I figured that after riding for 40 years I was entitled to enjoy it and the prospect of ending up in the emergency ward because some wet behind the ears junior Sagan lookalike wanted to show what he was made of, made it not worthwhile.

I remember when group rides were a group of well mannered folk on bikes riding, talking and not deliberately trying to drop people, just because. I also remember when people knew how to ride a straight line.

downtube
02-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Find someone you enjoy riding with and just go out on adventures. Many times when we take off we have no plan, its as simple as turn left or right? We have seen a lot of cool places that we had never ridden. Some days there is a loose plan like let's ride to ______ and pick a route that we don't usually take to get there. We also have taken a number of trips where we pick a town and get a hotel room for a few days and ride a bunch of the local roads. Those trips take a little planning so you can maximize your time on the best of their local roads. You can always join the club rides when you need that type of day. There are a lot of ways to do this bike thing. chuck

beeatnik
02-17-2014, 11:52 PM
People try to drop each other in the C group?

Scuzzer
02-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Find someone you enjoy riding with and just go out on adventures.

This is what I do. Find a couple of like minded folks and just have fun. I'm 49 and started riding in '78 and I've never enjoyed cycling more than I do now. No stats, no shooting for personal bests just riding long and supporting each other.

Fixed
02-18-2014, 01:14 AM
I ride by myself every day

I do my ride

Cheers

Llewellyn
02-18-2014, 04:09 AM
I ride by myself every day

I do my ride

Cheers

Same here, except I don't ride every day. I love riding on my own.

And I love riding with my wife when we can organise it occasionally.

thinpin
02-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Yeah, its one of life's mile posts. Ride solo or with a few friends and enjoy it. The worst thing you could do is to quit, for a host of reasons.
Today I was talking to a 90 year old bloke who had problems with a low Hb. It was holding him back he thought. He was sharp as a tack and underwent an uncomfortable procedure to try and find out why. He reckoned when he stopped going he was finished. Another little nugget I've put in my nugget bag.
Enjoy your cycling Don, just do it smarter.

rnhood
02-18-2014, 04:21 AM
I recommend riding in a higher level group. The dynamics are better and it offers more of a challenge. Better focus is maintained. Better skills are developed. This does not mean you divorce yourself from existing, or other groups. Ride in several and maintain diversity. But go with the more elite group rides on the weekend.

I hate riding alone almost as much as riding a trainer (well, maybe not quite almost). But I generally do it only when I have to.

commonguy001
02-18-2014, 05:32 AM
I'm only in my mid 40s and stopped doing large group rides a few years back. I mostly didn't enjoy the size of the rides and the fact that I don't think they behave well on the road not to mention the handful of sketchy riders you need to keep your eye on.

I much prefer to ride with a few close friends who are mostly guys I raced with 10 years ago. It's always a good ride with skilled riders and great conversation.

Good luck with your decision.

oldpotatoe
02-18-2014, 05:46 AM
Probably just a rant

I hear ya..too much competitiveness..I mostly ride alone and enjoy doing that. I'm 63, got my first real bike in 1985(Ciocc, still have it).

bewheels
02-18-2014, 06:14 AM
For me it is all about expectations - if I ride with a group I expect it to be a group of people trying to hurt each other (they may be trying to hide it but that is what is underneath it all).

I prefer to ride by myself 95% of the time...this may have to do with age. When I was young and starting out, riding with a group meant being mentored. Then I spent a couple of decades mentoring. Now I just go out by myself.

rccardr
02-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Same age, same issues. Younger (or al least newer) riders often don't respect the discipline necessary to make a group ride safe and fun.

Found a group of people my age who are just as fast and were just as discouraged. Still a great workout, better friendships, and they know how to behave.

Until the ride's over. :banana:

Black Dog
02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Probably just a rant

I am 20 years your junior but have been riding for the same length of time. I raced and payed my dues etc… I am going through the exact same thing. The rides have become more about ego and "richard" measuring contests. I now ride on my own which I do enjoy and have a few riding partners that I also enjoy. I am tired of being the guy who hangs back to help out the stragglers and makes the apologies. It can be so easy to keep a group ride a group ride and it so so frustrating when it is not. New riders join our club and get treated like this and you never see them again after a few rides. Terrible for the sport. Also, the worst thing for me, there is only one or two of us in the club that wave to or wave back to other riders on the road…sad...:confused:

Birddog
02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
I ride with a group that has gone through the change that so many of you are referring to. Ours was a natural evolution as the testosterone set rode dumber and dumber we just sort of dropped off the back and let them keep following the guidelines in their training stupid manuals. Our average age is probably 65 with a couple of regulars in their mid 50's and a high of just shy of 70.

We can all still ride at a fairly crisp pace but most of us elect not to and instead engage in rigorous conversations about any and everything. It's a bit like barbershop talk on a bike. Meanwhile, the dick swingers are twisting themselves in knots during sufferfests that have proven to be very valuable for their mid pack finishes in races.

A few of us cross the age/racer lines with gravel rides. I'm hoping some more of my older pals get the bug. Gravel rides are a better common denominator than road rides and just as much fun, maybe more fun. Some one in our "off the back" group overheard a couple of female riders in another group: one asked "who are those guys"? The other said "oh that's the "prostate boys" they've been riding out here for year". We wear that as a badge of honor.

Rob1519
02-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Same age, same issues. Younger (or al least newer) riders often don't respect the discipline necessary to make a group ride safe and fun.

Found a group of people my age who are just as fast and were just as discouraged. Still a great workout, better friendships, and they know how to behave.

Until the ride's over. :banana:

Sage advice. Find an new group or start your own.

djg
02-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Call it a day; don't call it a life.

Ride on your own. Ride with a couple of well chosen pals. Find, in time, a group ride more to your liking. Or not -- no reason for any of this to be cast in stone or carbon.

oldguy00
02-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Everyone is different. Some folks thoroughly enjoy riding on their own, others, like me, much prefer to have company. In fact, when it comes to training, I can't do it on my own unless it is on my trainer with a workout programmed in and a movie playing. I love racing, hate training... :)
To the OP, quitting would be a huge mistake. Either go it alone, find a new group, or at very least, find another, new, activity to enjoy for a while, then maybe come back to cycling.

FlashUNC
02-18-2014, 08:15 AM
There's a core group of 5-6 guys here locally that I trust and will ride with on a regular basis. They're the ones I seek out whenever we're on larger group rides and, quite frankly, will often do whatever we can to ride away from the group of ridiculously sketchy people who look like its their first time on the bike.

Sometimes that means riding guys off our wheel. Sometimes it means sitting up and letting the hammerheads go do their own thing.

It cuts both ways. I've seen sketchy people with more strength than skill in the fast groups, and riders equally without a clue in the slower groups. Slower doesn't always mean they're going to be more sound, though I suppose it does give you more time to avoid them when they do inevitably crap the bed.

Wilkinson4
02-18-2014, 08:19 AM
I hear ya..too much competitiveness..I mostly ride alone and enjoy doing that. I'm 63, got my first real bike in 1985(Ciocc, still have it).

Dang, didn't know that Peter. My first bike in 85 was a Ciocc too from the Denver Spoke. Had to put it on layaway since I was a poor H.S. student:)

Lone wolf mostly. I have a group of good peep I ride with a few times a year but I prefer riding alone. My pace, my ride, no goal other than to just ride.

mIKE

laupsi
02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
caveat; know your group, choose accordingly :)

HenryA
02-18-2014, 08:54 AM
I'll throw in with y'all. I've mostly ridden alone for the past 10 years or so. Rarely do I find any of the groups riding in a civilized manner and I too miss the days of an intact group riding together.

I miss rolling down the road in a tight group with everyone sharing as they could in the work and having a little conversation from time to time. We'd throw in some hard efforts but always wait for re-assembly. You could go with the fast bunch and know that you could fall off and re-join the rest. You'd also know that a few miles down the road you'd come on the fast bunch sitting up and cruising, waiting for all to gather again. I miss it.

1happygirl
02-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Awww. I wish I could ride with you. You sound so welcoming and knowledgeable! I haven't been riding as long as you, but I want to validate your feelings.
I have tried to go to some of these rides (bad idea as a less experienced rider) and also get my best friend involved. He found the riders were so dick-ish and unwelcoming that it is now likely my friend will never have anything to do with bicycles. Okay more than likely, he said as such.

So sorry for the recent people. You have such love and dedication to the sport and if the Frenchman is any indication your are only half way (102 yrs old). Try to find another group of like minded riders or start a meet-up group. All ideas others have suggested. I know as that is easier said then done. Sometimes you just wanna show up and ride instead of wrangling people.
And always virtual ride on the Paceline. That's why I love it here and always give praise to the forum. Everyone here is so wonderful and helpful.
Don't hang it up, hang it a different way!?

Fixed
02-18-2014, 09:22 AM
The thing here in San Francisco there are so many cyclist out ,on any day I can ride with guys like me older riders
I sometimes ride with them I like riding across the bridge with one or more riders the the hills I ride my own tempo on .
San Franciscans know and love great bikes .I am always seeing great steel and carbon bikes when I am out riding ,
Make a friend for a few miles compliment that beauty they are riding and most riders near my age will open up.
Cheers

Mr. Pink
02-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I have tried to go to some of these rides (bad idea as a less experienced rider) and also get my best friend involved. He found the riders were so dick-ish and unwelcoming that it is now likely my friend will never have anything to do with bicycles. Okay more than likely, he said as such.

Yup. I got pulled into riding by a friend of the new wife at the time who knew how to somehow assemble a disparate group and keep them happy. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be much of a rider. Bicycled to the top of Mt. Evans with him, and shared a fair amount of drinks apre ride, too. Unfortunately, he got struck down by cancer, and now a real "dick" has become the alpha dog over the remnants of that group. I avoid them like a disease right now. Never would have kept with it with someone like that running the show. I really don't get the appeal. For me, it's a pleasant form of exercise, not a measure of self worth.

MattTuck
02-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm a solo rider 90% of the time. I'd like to hook up with a small group with similar fitness/goals, but haven't yet. Some of the best rides I've done are 3-4 people, pace-lining, each taking their turn. That's where the camaraderie is, in my opinion... save the chatting and socializing for the bar/coffee shop, where it belongs.

I've done group rides here and there, and usually find their road manners lacking. Blowing through stop signs, riding 2+ abreast and impeding traffic, etc... is not my idea of fun.

Climb01742
02-18-2014, 09:51 AM
for awhile there was a small group i rode with most sundays. all faster then me but had nothing to prove. they rode fast(ish) just because they were, well, fast. yet we talked and no one was ever dropped (meaning me). those rides made me faster.

but that group was disassembled by life. now i ride 99% solo. for me, here's the biggest difference: riding with the group i got faster and had good conversations. riding by myself i get to know myself better and think about stuff. i'm slower but maybe a little wiser?:rolleyes:

tiretrax
02-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Definitely ride by yourself or with a few other friends that share your goals. I started riding with groups and invited friends to ride with me. Some were so competitive that there were too many incidents and accidents that nearly happened that I went back to riding solo. The worst was me pulling a guy through his first century, and then he accelerated 1/4 from the finish line to beat me. I don't ride with him any longer.

My only concern with riding solo is safety. There have been too many soccer moms on their blackberries running stop signs and cholos that have tried to run me off the road. I bought a bunch of neon yellow kit last year, but I haven't noticed a decrease in near misses.

bluesea
02-18-2014, 10:42 AM
A couple of years ago the Sat. group turned into a "boy racer" ride. For years every summer this gal who had been team mates with Connie Carpenter came into town.

Seeing all the attacks on the flats, she suggested we stay together and ride as a group. For that trip she stopped coming back.

firerescuefin
02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Find your happy place and ride there.

I do wonder how many folks that criticize newer riders (all thrust/no vector) take the time to mentor them, explain the nuances of group riding, go grab a beer after the ride and talk about cycling. I'm imagining not too many. It's just easier to bitch about them (this is not aimed at the OP).

We were all "that guy" once. I was taken under the wing of 2 guys in particular. One raced pro continental in Europe for awhile and instead of wearing guys out every ride, would explain things and organize things such as attacks and pace lines, echelons. The other was a guy called Old School (Dave) that was out on his 80's something steel bike (he had about 6 of them). He loved his classic bikes and was strong enough to drop 85% of the guys on the fitness/training rides on those bikes. Another guy that loved mentoring/ teaching.

I try to be the mentor now and have no problem dropping off the back of an organize ride to get someone to the next regroup point or get em home. Yes, I do come across a few "tools" , but hopefully your group's culture is such that they will conform or move on.

Food for thought.

josephr
02-18-2014, 10:53 AM
This past weekend I thought I'd try a different group as a chance to ride a new route in an area I'd not ridden before. Turns out they were a large band guys who ride hard 4-5 days a week in between IronTribe/CrossFit days and measuring out protein portions. Their pace was killer so I dropped after 3 miles....

Ride lone wolf and/or find a different group...mix it up...while the hammerheads are earning their weekly KOMs, you're hanging back and chatting it up with the ladies. :)
Joe

Tandem Rider
02-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Don, you're in CA, has to be lots of groups you can ride with. Why limit yourself to only one. I kind of "float" in and out of several as well as riding solo. TNW's, Old Man's ride, a couple of friends, or solo. I also avoid some for reasons. What I do depends on the day, goals, and mood, mostly mood.

john903
02-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I ride by myself almost exclusively but that is the area I live in, my schedule and not to many people ride the road. It is interesting the one core group we have here is called Spoke Folk and they are all retired folks about 65 on up to 82 they ride Mon,Wed,Fri and Sunday. They are real fun to ride with they have been there, done that so there is no attitude they are very friendly competent riders. And yes they can kick it up to 20mph and hold a great pace line or if you feel like just cruising off the back that is ok too. So I guess I am suggesting trying solo for awhile or maybe start your own group of like minded riders.
Taking a page from firerescuefin maybe find a younger or inexperienced rider and spread some of your wisdom around. I had a great couple of rides last year where a friends son who is 21 and bought a new Cannondale he did not have a clue about riding. I spent a few weekends with him and he really appreciated it and I really enjoyed seeing someone improve and "get It"
Anyway have a great day

redir
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
If you ride with people who are in training than this is what you get. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has all kinds of riders from cat 1 local pro's to weekend tourists. It's a university town and if you go out with the cycling team than you have to expect that there are going to be race like moments. What we do is sprint for county lines, attack the mountains, and so on but we always regroup unless some one opts out.

If you race then you have to train to race. I know what you are saying to a certain extent. There are always some that blow up the recovery rides and long steady distance rides and of course sketchy new (and older) riders. I'm 44 and still fit enough to finish races with cat 1 and 2's and as such get respect from the young punks :D

But seriously they need older guys like us to help discipline. Without us who will pass the torch? This is how it's always been. I feel as though most of the new young kids are willing to learn and listen. If they are not then we have ways of dealing with it. ;)

bironi
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Probably just a rant

I think this is happening most places around the U.S. from what I gather in online conversations and local ones the past several years. I am your same age with similar riding history. Things just keep morphing and changing. I've been in some good, fairly long lasting groups over the years, but change always come. Life happens and individuals drift to meet their own needs. I still prefer smaller groups of like minded safe riders. We nearly always drink beer and chat post rides. Occasionally I will ride solo, but prefer company for safety and socializing. Keep your antenna up and you'll find something new or start something new.:beer:

Ralph
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm 72, and ride a lot. Can usually keep up with a B group, but usually ride about a C+ pace with a small group of similar age guys and gals. The B groups seem to all be wanting to be A group riders, blowing stop signs and lights, obstructing traffic, and (as mentioned above) just having bad traffic manners with no riding etiquette. Someone is always going down, busted colar bones, etc. They are crazzy. I think it's very dangerous to ride with them. Maybe I fear a hard fall more than they do.

The small group of older guys I ride with know how to ride, we obey traffic laws, look out for each other, and in the areas where we push it and drop a few, always wait up at next intersection. We are riding friends, out for a good ride, with maybe an interval or two, and don't want anyone hurt. We know who is fastest, no need to prove it 10 times on each ride. If a new rider shows up, we make sure that person has a good ride. We also enjoy some socializing after a ride. If I don't ride with these folks, I ride by myself.

My advice.....find a group you enjoy riding with, ride with them some, and some by yourself. To me, it's a lot about safety. I don't heal as fast as those young guys.

cash05458
02-18-2014, 02:03 PM
simple: ride alone...it is always the best and the way it was meant to be anyhow...

mtechnica
02-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Personally I'm not a fan of groups of more than 6-8 people. I think large 'competitive' group rides are dangerous and pointless. Having a go at one another here and there is one thing but constantly trying to drop people in the group outside of a race is dumb. I wouldn't want anything to do with group rides of a dozen+ with different people coming and going so I can't blame anyone else that doesn't.

pinkshogun
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
my state has an area cycling club (Narragansett Bay Wheelmen) that attracts all levels of riders. sunday rides are arrowed, maps are given out and riders leave the parking lot according to abilities...very easy to hook up with like-speeded people

i dont know if other states have a similiar style club/organization.

http://nbwclub.org/

Fixed
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm 72, and ride a lot. Can usually keep up with a B group, but usually ride about a C+ pace with a small group of similar age guys and gals. The B groups seem to all be wanting to be A group riders, blowing stop signs and lights, obstructing traffic, and (as mentioned above) just having bad traffic manners with no riding etiquette. Someone is always going down, busted colar bones, etc. They are crazzy. I think it's very dangerous to ride with them. Maybe I fear a hard fall more than they do.

The small group of older guys I ride with know how to ride, we obey traffic laws, look out for each other, and in the areas where we push it and drop a few, always wait up at next intersection. We are riding friends, out for a good ride, with maybe an interval or two, and don't want anyone hurt. We know who is fastest, no need to prove it 10 times on each ride. If a new rider shows up, we make sure that person has a good ride. We also enjoy some socializing after a ride. If I don't ride with these folks, I ride by myself.

My advice.....find a group you enjoy riding with, ride with them some, and some by yourself. To me, it's a lot about safety. I don't heal as fast as those young guys.

Nice post ralph
Cheers

rugbysecondrow
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
After 3 pages, it is apparent that there is a sport, then there is an activity. Understanding where you fit into this and how your goals align should head off some undue heartburn.

I have always preferred to ride alone. Between work, kids and life obligations, the time to myself is precious. It reminds me of my childhood, riding my paper route alone early in the morning. For me, it is an activity, hence I never learned to draft, paceline or participate in anything that even looks like I am racing. I just don't care to know it. Also, since I came to riding from triathlons, where the above is against the rules, I had to learn to ride well without the group participation.

Cycling, or riding a bike, is one of those odd sports/activities where buying a bike can buy you access to the group. In Rugby, Softball, Baseball, Soccer etc, there is a knowledge base needed, there is a training program, a B squad, training team etc. For a rider, if they can pedal fast enough, then they think they can be part of the group. It would seem that the onus is on the group to have a culture of training from the first ride, assign a mentor etc. if they are serious about the culture and rules.

Alas, some groups are just that, groups of folks who meet at "A" time and "B" spot to ride at about "C" speed. More of a free for all.

So, as stated prior, I prefer to ride alone.

zmudshark
02-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Don, Like you, I'm 62, for a few more weeks, at least. I don't do group rides, way too much testosterone and way too little sense. I ride solo, or with a friend or two, or my much slower wife.

I am a very competitive person, but have learned to enjoy riding more in the last few years. I don't mind pushing myself, but I know I'm not getting any faster, just happier.

Riding is like meditating/praying to me. It takes my mind off the day to day travails, and lets me just enjoy what I have.

That being said, when TMB has his group ride next weekend, and I'm the oldest guy there, I will try to make the youngsters suffer just a little. Yes JMoore, that would be you. Bring a barf bag ;)

fuzzalow
02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.mindparts.org/blog_images/pogo.jpg

Cyclists have always shown evidence of douche bag behaviour to other cyclists. And the easiest way to reconcile this is recognizing that it has been this way for many years and e'er shall be. Oh, the flagrant irony in cyclists pining for better treatment by motorists. And yet there is no compunction or hesitation in some cyclists figuratively throwing our own under a bus when riding in groups of our own making. The fast guys that can bring it when it counts are rarely the schmucks.

It is no reason to give up the day or to give any second thought to the insecurities and actions of the pathetic.

paredown
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Another vote for riding on your own, if it pleases you. (Full disclosure--my 62nd B'day is about 2 weeks away.)

I'm a born-again cyclist--I did the competitive thing, racing and group training thing years ago--but as coincidence would have it, since I started up again about a decade ago, I have ridden almost exclusively by myself--no computer, no competition.

Sometimes I wouldn't mind company, but I haven't met anyone in my area yet that I would want to ride with on a regular basis.

When we were still in Brooklyn, I would sometimes hook up with the maniacs in Prospect Park just to remind myself how fast was fast.

Instead of dealing with testosterone, I am more than happy to admire the red tailed hawks, marvel at the sun glinting off the leaves and talk to the deer in Harriman Park. And enjoy the freedom of being on the bike.

AgilisMerlin
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
i usually like riding crappy, heavy, commuter bicycles with sneakers, sandals, dress shoes

nice to mix it up

heavy bikes / interval training without a coach :eek:

nice to show up on group rides (with written about bicycle above)

Ti Designs
02-18-2014, 05:25 PM
I am 62 and have been riding since '84. I have never raced but have ridden plenty of hard rides over the years. Here's the deal. I am increasingly not enjoying club rides.

If you ever find yourself in the Boston area, and you have your bike with you, let me know. Group rides these days are a sort of free for all where kids fight for respect based on speed. Group rides built by brining in riders who understand it's not about ripping everybody else's legs are are far better, and probably just what you're looking for.

don compton
02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. It really helps that I am not alone in my recent riding experience. Recently I have been riding with smaller groups on rides that have been alternate choices to the bike club's non- social slug fests.
For me, the best ride is a 35-60 mile ride, a few hills, smooth pacelines at 50% effort for the guy in front, and no one gets dropped, period. We usually have a stop in the middle of the ride for the mandatory, coffee stop.
We'll still try to challenge each other, but its a very small percentage of the ride.

jmoore
02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Don, Like you, I'm 62, for a few more weeks, at least. I don't do group rides, way too much testosterone and way too little sense. I ride solo, or with a friend or two, or my much slower wife.

I am a very competitive person, but have learned to enjoy riding more in the last few years. I don't mind pushing myself, but I know I'm not getting any faster, just happier.

Riding is like meditating/praying to me. It takes my mind off the day to day travails, and lets me just enjoy what I have.

That being said, when TMB has his group ride next weekend, and I'm the oldest guy there, I will try to make the youngsters suffer just a little. Yes JMoore, that would be you. Bring a barf bag ;)

What did I ever do to deserve this treatment? And I'm not that young anymore.

zmudshark
02-19-2014, 08:40 AM
What did I ever do to deserve this treatment? And I'm not that young anymore. You'll always be young to me ;)

Hawker
02-19-2014, 08:59 AM
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but what I've gathered is that some of us as we get older don't like group rides anymore because the young guys want to push it. I'm in my early 60s and started noticing and feeling the same thing when it hit 58.

I think the bottom line is that we are getting older and some of us anyway, just enjoy the ride and camaraderie and don't really care about the mileage and the MPH like we used to when our testosterone levels were higher. ;) A couple of years ago I even removed the computer from my bike and I don't miss it a bit.

I think the solution is to find a group of guys your own age to ride with. I sort of hated to relegate myself to "riding with old guys"...but unless you are John Howard, age sneaks up on you and physically and psychologically things change. Shoot, over on another forum there is a section just for Over 50 riders and yes...there is as much chatter about prostate exams as there is about riding centuries and racing for the next stop sign.

I still do most of my riding solo but I do enjoy the occasional group ride that cleans up my bike handling skills and forces me to ride a slightly higher pace...but it is not the pace of a thirty year old. Getting old is not for the faint of heart...but it's better than the other option.

malcolm
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
My riding has evolved in stages. When I started in the mid '70s I was competitive and rode group rides and group events. New riders were welcomed and taught, mostly gently, to ride in groups, pacelines etc.. From my later experiences in group riding not so much.

For the last 10 years I either rode solo or with one or two people and found this to be the most enjoyable by far.

From there over the past couple of years I've been almost exclusively on the mountain bike and mostly solo and have found this to be nirvana. Nothing like sweet single track and only the sound of your breathing and the woods.

soulspinner
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM

:p

redir
02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Nothing like sweet single track and only the sound of your breathing and the woods.

I hear that. I just keep breaking things on my MTB! :(

Mr. Pink
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but what I've gathered is that some of us as we get older don't like group rides anymore because the young guys want to push it. I'm in my early 60s and started noticing and feeling the same thing when it hit 58.

I think the bottom line is that we are getting older and some of us anyway, just enjoy the ride and camaraderie and don't really care about the mileage and the MPH like we used to when our testosterone levels were higher. ;) A couple of years ago I even removed the computer from my bike and I don't miss it a bit.

I think the solution is to find a group of guys your own age to ride with. I sort of hated to relegate myself to "riding with old guys"...but unless you are John Howard, age sneaks up on you and physically and psychologically things change. Shoot, over on another forum there is a section just for Over 50 riders and yes...there is as much chatter about prostate exams as there is about riding centuries and racing for the next stop sign.

I still do most of my riding solo but I do enjoy the occasional group ride that cleans up my bike handling skills and forces me to ride a slightly higher pace...but it is not the pace of a thirty year old. Getting old is not for the faint of heart...but it's better than the other option.

Nope, the jerks I've been subjected to are almost the same age. Maybe ten years younger for one or two. Seems like some people die being a jerk. You would think they would mellow, but, no, they take it to the grave.

TRACK
02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Riding on your own is the best.
You have your own pace.
Line.
lol.

Ken Robb
02-19-2014, 10:58 PM
My riding has evolved in stages. When I started in the mid '70s I was competitive and rode group rides and group events. New riders were welcomed and taught, mostly gently, to ride in groups, pacelines etc.. From my later experiences in group riding not so much.

For the last 10 years I either rode solo or with one or two people and found this to be the most enjoyable by far.

From there over the past couple of years I've been almost exclusively on the mountain bike and mostly solo and have found this to be nirvana. Nothing like sweet single track and only the sound of your breathing and the woods.

Yeah, BUT: are you so alone that there would be no one to help you in a medical emergency?

malcolm
02-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Yeah, BUT: are you so alone that there would be no one to help you in a medical emergency?

Very true, but you can never mitigate all risk in life. I tend to take the technical sections a little easier and there is a short stretch of rocks on my normal trail that I'll walk because it's a 50/50 I'm coming off on them at any given time and they've cracked open several heads in the past.

Overall the risk for the serenity is worth it.

Tom
02-20-2014, 09:30 AM

I ride alone on the road nearly all the time. There are descents that if I wipe they'll find me when I begin to stink. If then. I don't worry about it.

Mr. Pink
02-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I ride alone on the road nearly all the time. There are descents that if I wipe they'll find me when I begin to stink. If then. I don't worry about it.

The vultures would give you away.

redir
02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

I definitely take less risk when riding alone in the woods.