PDA

View Full Version : Tucson, Arizona..eyeball a purchased bike?

pinkshogun
02-17-2014, 10:34 PM
i bought a bike from a party in Tucson. im assuming its their first time shipping a bike so im looking for someone in the area to either help them pack it up or eyeball their packing job

the bike is from the early 1970's if that helps to persuade

off-list PM please

cmg
02-17-2014, 10:56 PM
ask the seller what's the nearest bike shop near him, then call the shop and ask if they will ship a bike. get the seller to drop off the bike. Did this twice, it's a pain but it can work.

sjbraun
02-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Fairwheel, IIRC somewhere around $110 to pack and ship.

4Rings6Stars
02-17-2014, 11:16 PM
ask the seller what's the nearest bike shop near him, then call the shop and ask if they will ship a bike. get the seller to drop off the bike. Did this twice, it's a pain but it can work.

The two worst packed bikes I have ever received came from bike shops. Both times, they were essentially dropped into a box with a few parts removed and a few things stuffed in the box.

Send the seller some pics on how it should be done and offer some cash for his time and supplies.

Birddog
02-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Dave Thompson who used to frequent here more oftenat one time posted some pictures of how he packs a bike. It's worth a "search". I too received a frame/fork from a "Bike Shop" that was packed in a peculiar manner. I'm guessing that the lowest guy on the totem pole packed the frame. Another time I received a frame/fork from a private party that was wrapped in a used shower curtain.