PDA

View Full Version : Mavic CXP 30 ferrules?

paredown
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
(First thread--woot!)

Anyone with a long memory know if the CXP30s used to come with a package of the special ferrules when you purchased a new rim?

Or does anyone know if they are still available from somewhere?

I've got an older Campy 8 speed rear wheel I am trying to create a matching front for a project...

Dean

ultraman6970
02-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Answer I think is yes, they came with a bag of ferrules wedges thingys.

Asked time ago to potato and looks like he had a few moving around, maybe enough for a single wheel?

Never seen them even at ebay.

No idea if you could kind'a put like 3 or 4 washers together to accomplish the same effect.

aaronf
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes, CXP30 rims came with a bag of inserts that matched the inner shape and were required. Given the shape, I don't think you can reliably "wing it" with washers.
There were usually a few (like 2-5) extra in each package.

I have a few around, maybe enough for a full wheel. I also have a dented tubular now used as a stretcher rim that has most of them still inside. Can go fishing if you can't find a stash. Difficult (time consuming) to retrieve as the diameter of the inserts just cleared the holes in the tire bed. But I guess I could just cut the rim and pour them out...

How many do you need?
Send me a pm or email.
aaronmfreeman at gmail d0t c0m

Gummee
02-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I've got a pair of the later CXP-30s that came with em built in.

I'm not planning on using em if anyone is interested. Gold. 24h

M

02-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Yes, the rims came with a bag that contained the ferrules plus a little tool for installing and pulling them. Mavic even back then rarely had any spares available. Vecchio's did have some available recently.

These are very sturdy rims but at the expense of extreme weight. They did finally switch to some thin machined ferrules that were adopted very shortly afterwards in the CXP-33's. Still a heavy implementation but one that spread the load away from the spoke hole. There are so many good (i.e., better) alternatives available these days, that this is not really a rim I'd go out of my way to use. Try the Pacenti, the Hed C2, H+Son Archetype, or any of a variety of other H+Son or Velocity rims.

sales guy
02-18-2014, 06:34 AM
We just machined our own. They were similar to the ones in the cosmic pro wheels. Lighter on the cxp30's but same idea. My buddy had some, eventually al, of them crack from age so we just made our own. Ended up making dozens. I'll see if we have any left.