PDA

View Full Version : OT: Atlas Lathe 10"-F Series, Model TH42

quattro
02-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Wondering if anyone is knowledgable about old machines, specifically an Atlas 10"-F Series lathe. This big old machine is sitting in the basement of my wife's grandparents house in Massachusetts and needs to be moved ASAP. Does it have any use or value? See attached pictures.
Appreciate anyone that can provide any information please respond or send me a PM.

Thank you!
quattro

oliver1850
02-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I have two Atlas lathes, don't know the model numbers. They are still useful machines. The ones with V ways are more desireable. The flat ways can get pretty worn at the headstock end. Even when worn you can still make stuff with one that would be hard to do any other way. Like most things, value will depend on condition and what tooling is included. I've seen them sell from $150 to $1200. There are several of various models on ebay right now in the $500 - $1500 range. As far as moving it, you can lighten it up by taking it partially apart. The tailstock will come off the bed fairly easily, as will the carriage. Then unbolt the bed from the stand and you should have pieces light enough to move fairly easily.

02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I have two Atlas lathes, don't know the model numbers. They are still useful machines. The ones with V ways are more desireable. The flat ways can get pretty worn at the headstock end. Even when worn you can still make stuff with one that would be hard to do any other way. Like most things, value will depend on condition and what tooling is included. I've seen them sell from $150 to $1200. There are several of various models on ebay right now in the $500 - $1500 range. As far as moving it, you can lighten it up by taking it partially apart. The tailstock will come off the bed fairly easily, as will the carriage. Then unbolt the bed from the stand and you should have pieces light enough to move fairly easily.

I have a variety of machinists' lathes and this is pretty accurate. A couple additional points: From the photos, it looks like you don't have much of value in tooling. Second, the motor assembly mounts underneath the bench; be sure you have the hardware and small parts so that can be done properly or value dropped again. Without seeing it in person or running it, there's no way to tell what kind of runout, what condition the bearings are in, etc. I'm guessing that with the overall cosmetic condition and the condition of the tooling you show, the innards, bed, etc. are beat up pretty hard.

You may find that the cast iron stand has more value than the lathe. There are people who buy those for several hundred dollars, put a piece of marble or steel on it, and make a nice retro arts and crafts table. Those who buy a lathe like this may often mount it on their own bench and not want the iron bench anyway.

Otherwise, there are lots of these around. Atlas lathes don't hold their value as well as South Bend and certainly aren't in a category with used lathes like Hardinges, which at the time were considered precision lathes. Someone who wants to buy yours will presumably want to test runout and operability, so I'd reassemble the motor to the table and add a belt so you can see if you have anything at all. Nobody will offer you much of anything if they can't see it operating.

HenryA
02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
The motor mounts on the rear of the headstock and hangs off the back of the machine. (the big part to the left in the picture is the head stock) And there is a belt that runs from that counter shaft in your picture. Look around for the belt and more things you think might go with the machine.

Someone who wants to get started in running lathe might be interested. As stated previously this is not a high end machine. But for hobby/home use its miles ahead of no lathe.

Someone will pay money for this. Not a lot but likely more than just scrap value assuming they can set it up and make something with it. My guess is $500-700 range if its got the typical accessories with it. More stuff with it equals more value to someone.

If you want to make a few more pictures of the various components we may have more comments regarding value and desirability.

You might want to look at this page: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/ for more information.

quattro
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=11.4;1500153]

You may find that the cast iron stand has more value than the lathe. There are people who buy those for several hundred dollars, put a piece of marble or steel on it, and make a nice retro arts and crafts table.

11.4, I love the idea! The lathe and motor have not been used in over 15 years, just sitting as is in a basement. I certainly can see removing the lathe from the bench and selling it separately. Do you know how I would bring the stand back to life, kind make it look less industrial, to make it look nice if I mounted a piece of marble on it?

quattro
02-16-2014, 07:15 PM
HenryA, as I mentioned above, the Lathe has been sitting for over 15 years, I don't know how to operate it or if there are any additional parts that go with the machine. We need to remove it ASAP in order to empty the house as it's been sold. I would need to find someone in MA. who is interested in purchasing the Lathe as is, without the stand. The idea of keeping the stand and putting a piece of marble on it is a really cool idea if I can make improve it's industrial appearance before doing so, any ideas on how to do that?

Guess I'll put the Lathe on Craig's list and see what it brings.

Thanks for your input.

quattro

pbarry
02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
You might want to post this here and across the hall in a FS post. There are more folks over there in the Frame Builder's Collective, with plenty of newer builders lurking. Thinking $400 firm for lathe sans stand will bring a quick sale.

Stand on CL should go easily for $250-300, (ask for more), with good images and dimensions listed. Don't worry about cleanup as the patina adds to the value. Post it in the antiques section..

quattro
02-17-2014, 07:14 AM
pbarry, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take your advice and list it in the classified as well as across the hall, $400 sounds like a good price without the stand. I believe the pictures show all of the additional parts but I'll double check.

Thanks,
quattro

PJN
02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
The point of using the stand for a table base is that it looks industrial.

4Rings6Stars
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing...

02-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Craigslist is the place to advertise. It's too heavy to ship and someone will want to inspect in person. $700 is probably on the high side for what you're showing, if you want quick action. And I don't think the stand is that valuable these days to an amateur machinist. People like bigger working surfaces and something with a bigger footing for stability, so I think you could have the stand sandblasted and then spray it with red primer and then an industrial hammer tone or other paint and add a top of your choice, and you would still get the same for the lathe itself. They usually sell without stands anyway.

Those motor mounts sometimes mounted on the back of the headstock, but usually had the hardware to mount under the bench top so the unit could be closer to the wall. It also allowed for better tensioning of the belt and isolated motor vibrations better. I've got a South Bend with the headstock mount, another with the under-bench mount, and the latter is nicer. Also I had to replace the electric motor on the under-bench one and that mounting gave me more options in motor mounts -- your lathe is just old enough that you may have to hunt for the right mounting configuration if you needed a new motor.

02-17-2014, 01:02 PM
BTW, rebuilding a lathe is a great project and if you have kids -- yours or related -- you might want to do this with them. You could rebuild it and then sell it, or keep it and they could learn the basics of tooling. It's a great learning experience that kids don't get in school any longer. Probably worth more than the cash value if you have someone who could benefit from it.

quattro
02-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Well, I was thinking of putting a piece of marble on it and using it in the foyer of my house, so I'd want to remove any rust and make it look a bit nicer. Maybe having it sandblasted would remove the rust and brighten it up a bit.

02-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, I was thinking of putting a piece of marble on it and using it in the foyer of my house, so I'd want to remove any rust and make it look a bit nicer. Maybe having it sandblasted would remove the rust and brighten it up a bit.

Get it sandblasted for about $20 and then you can get it powder coated for probably less than $50 (and a choice of a thousand colors or textures) or just rattle can it with an industrial level paint. If you sandblast it, fill any little gaps or holes in the castings, and then powdercoat it in gloss white, it'll be stunning with a scrap of ivory marble from the local granite and marble dealer. The white really shows off the curves of the stands of that era. Then sell the lathe separately and the buyer is never the wiser, and gets what he wanted. You have a nice memento for your front foyer.

quattro
02-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Get it sandblasted for about $20 and then you can get it powder coated for probably less than $50 (and a choice of a thousand colors or textures) or just rattle can it with an industrial level paint. If you sandblast it, fill any little gaps or holes in the castings, and then powdercoat it in gloss white, it'll be stunning with a scrap of ivory marble from the local granite and marble dealer. The white really shows off the curves of the stands of that era. Then sell the lathe separately and the buyer is never the wiser, and gets what he wanted. You have a nice memento for your front foyer.

11.4, thanks for the further suggestions, I really like the idea of making the stand into a piece of art/furniture and displaying it in my foyer, great project for the spring. Thanks again,

quattro