PDA

View Full Version : Who has a road bike with disc brakes?

d_douglas
02-15-2014, 01:03 AM
No polemics here - I love disc brakes and have them on two CX bikes, but I am curious as to how many people out in the Paceline have AN ACTUAL ROAD BIKE with discs? I mean 370mm a-c fork with clearance for 28mm max tires and a max 415mm chainstay - a real road bike.

If you have one, post a pic please! Points for cool handbuits vs a Volagi ;)

Pete Mckeon
02-15-2014, 02:38 PM
I do not have a new bike and have not upgraded any forks,wheels,frame to install:mad: pete

kohlboto
02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
...but you were already aware of this one...376 a-c on the fork though...chainstays might be 42 as well...

d_douglas
02-16-2014, 01:20 PM
That bike's just OK.😍

How much longer is the fork A-C on this bike than a standard road fork? We road forks 367mm or something?

So nice and it would fit me to the MM - dreamy...

Anarchist
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
One of my personal bug bears ....

ROAD BIKE.

What on earth is being defined as a ROAD BIKE? It has to be stupid short chainstays, short fork, no ability to take fenders, no ability to run 25c tires .... Or?

I think we have Balkanized cycling far too much.

That said that DeSalvo is a pretty bike.

d_douglas
02-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Agreed, but I am not talking about a 400mm chainstay and 75deg angles.

No polemics here, I know these bikes exist and just wonder how the aesthetics are being pulled off.

Jays Desalvo is mighty nice, no doubt, but I am wondering about crit racing type bikes with discs. Not trying to plays devils advocate - I am just curious about these types of bikes.

I see there is another thread playing off mine on the same topic - they could be merged?!

fiataccompli
02-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Would this count as a real road bike?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/cgfiat/honkyinc.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/cgfiat/media/honkyinc.jpg.html)

d_douglas
02-16-2014, 10:18 PM
The kona is a cool bike (my buddy rides the identical one) and yes, that is getting towards what I meant.

I recommended that bike for him assuming that it was a bike with CX tire clearance only to be shocked that 28mm + fenders was a stretch. It is an oddish bike that way - I guess that it similar to the Desalvo, but mass produced, which is interesting because it is about 3 yrs old, so a bit ahead of the curve.

I seem to recall Tonic Fabrications building a 'racebike' with discs a year or two ago that made the rounds here. I thought it looked goofy then, but think I'd like it now.

Seriously, though, I am not interested in splitting hairs about what 'is' or 'is not' a road bike. Basically, what I mean is that I am not talking about a cyclocross bike. I am talking about a bike that is excusively meant to be ridden of a smooth, mostly paved surface, if you know what I mean :)

Anarchist
02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
The kona is a cool bike (my buddy rides the identical one) and yes, that is getting towards what I meant.

I recommended that bike for him assuming that it was a bike with CX tire clearance only to be shocked that 28mm + fenders was a stretch. It is an oddish bike that way - I guess that it similar to the Desalvo, but mass produced, which is interesting because it is about 3 yrs old, so a bit ahead of the curve.

I seem to recall Tonic Fabrications building a 'racebike' with discs a year or two ago that made the rounds here. I thought it looked goofy then, but think I'd like it now.

Seriously, though, I am not interested in splitting hairs about what 'is' or 'is not' a road bike. Basically, what I mean is that I am not talking about a cyclocross bike. I am talking about a bike that is excusively meant to be ridden of a smooth, mostly paved surface, if you know what I mean :)

Honestly? Not sure I do.

poff
02-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I have moots dr but no pictures yet, too busy riding.

d_douglas
02-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Honestly? Not sure I do.

Ok, seems pretty explicit to me, so maybe we can close this thread.

I am pretty easygoing on this forum, but the dogmatism that strangles this place from time to time makes it stifling. Lighthearted discussion of disc road bikes now ranks up there with 'vanilla charges too much for their bikes as the most annoying end game on this forum, personally. Maybe it's because I like disc brakes and road bikes and Vanillas, but oy vey.

It could also be te medium - this would likely be a fun(nish) conversation over a beer at a pub, but the devils advocating on here wears me out. Maybe I need a time out?

nighthawk
02-17-2014, 07:10 AM
FWIW, I get/got where you were going with this thread. Disc brakes have become more readily available for "road" use and you were curious to see some bikes built up. I think it is interesting, too and would like too see more photo contributions, if there are members out there with them.

Don't worry, d_doug... You ain't the problem. Some people just like to argue about ANYTHING. I find it best to ignore them.

d_douglas
02-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah, Spring/cabin Fever, I s'pose.

I guess my last comparison would be to look at a Sachs CX bike and a Sachs road bike. Think The road bike. They are similar bikes, but different details. I am curious about the details of the road bike side of things as they pertain to disc brakes.

And yes, the irony is not lost on me that I used Sachs as an example for disc brake use :)

tuscanyswe
02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Dont own a road bike with discs to offer pictures off unfortunately.
I know you are a big disc fan, are you thinking of adding something to the stable come spring?

Today we had such nice weather. Clear skies (cant remember when i saw blue sky last) and 7 degrees. Could feel those uv-rays just washing the crankiness away! I missed the sun alot !! :)

Joachim
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Spring/cabin Fever, I s'pose.

I guess my last comparison would be to look at a Sachs CX bike and a Sachs road bike. Think The road bike. They are similar bikes, but different details. I am curious about the details of the road bike side of things as they pertain to disc brakes.

And yes, the irony is not lost on me that I used Sachs as an example for disc brake use :)

Anarchist = Swoop

d_douglas
02-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Anarchist = Swoop

Ha ha - say no more. A stage name that is infamous in these parts!

Welcome, Swoop.

d_douglas
02-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Dont own a road bike with discs to offer pictures off unfortunately.
I know you are a big disc fan, are you thinking of adding something to the stable come spring?

Today we had such nice weather. Clear skies (cant remember when i saw blue sky last) and 7 degrees. Could feel those uv-rays just washing the crankiness away! I missed the sun alot !! :)

No, no plans soon - it is just a question of interest. I think the aesthetics will come to be much more pleasing in the next year or two and I am curious of what examples are out there with minimal clearance bikes.

It seems my curiosity is sparking the ire of certain others on the Forum. Who knew it was such a touchy subject :)

bingomck
02-17-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm also very interested in this subject, so I appreciate your post.
I'm following this build thread here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138761

d_douglas
02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Yes, that Oak Bike is a perfect example (and my size:) )

It looks very cool and I love the study that it represents. I would someday love to explore the idea with a builder but likely by that time, this type of bike be nailed in terms of geometry.

I also hope HOPE that Campagnolo releases a hydro disc brake that uses mechanical levers whenever they enter the fray :)

oldpotatoe
02-18-2014, 05:54 AM
Agreed, but I am not talking about a 400mm chainstay and 75deg angles.

No polemics here, I know these bikes exist and just wonder how the aesthetics are being pulled off.

Jays Desalvo is mighty nice, no doubt, but I am wondering about crit racing type bikes with discs. Not trying to plays devils advocate - I am just curious about these types of bikes.

I see there is another thread playing off mine on the same topic - they could be merged?!

I think one of the issues is using disc's often mean crappy condition riding, one of disc's big advantages. Along with that fenders, bigger tires and maybe the ability to carry stuff via racks...so the smaller chainstay lengths, fork crown race heights and such, are unusual..kinda like a SUV with very low profile tires/wheels.

I know what you are saying and I don't think the 'road bike with discs', is common, yet..they will be for good or ill.

I think the utility, considering the weight, complexity, cost, is tough to rationalize when compared to a much simplier, better looking(IMHO), lighter, cheaper, road bike alternative braking 'systems'.

Fixed
02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Road bike
$1500
Cheers

d_douglas
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Ahhh, cannondale does one too. I bet this rides nicely

Fixed
02-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Ahhh, cannondale does one too. I bet this rides nicely

It is on my list of possible next bikes
Cheers

bluesea
02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
The experience of commuting with a wet disc-ed MTB, now has me waiting in anticipation for Shimano to come out with their road ver.

Love the Synapse, but I will ever remain conservative with racing style roadbikes. Oth a frame like that with braze ons and room for 28C and fenders would be ideal.

timto
02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Here's a recent Strong that had me thinking of this thread
http://www.strongframes.com/out-the-door/hans-s/2014/02/21/

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/400663_10152252365979084_1823429959_n.jpg