PDA

View Full Version : Us being into what we are as riders and depression...

cash05458
02-14-2014, 04:20 PM
just wondering if others have noticed this...

Black Dog
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Not sure what you are asking here. Are you supposing that there is a link between cycling and depression or that people who are drawn to cycling tend to have higher rates of depression or susceptibility to depression (pre-cycling)?

dekindy
02-14-2014, 04:52 PM
True in my case and cycling is the best medicine!

avalonracing
02-14-2014, 08:42 PM
"Us being into what we are as riders and depression..."

Maybe it's a poem?

kykr13
02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess I notice it more during the winter, when the only riding is on the green machine of doom. As in, the trainer... :rolleyes:

joosttx
02-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I think overtraining can lead to depression if you are predisposed. I hypothesize that overtraining lowers testosterone and other stuff and increases cortisol which ultimately can lead to depression.

Seramount
02-16-2014, 06:03 PM
we need subtitles...

the OP is apparently in some kind of code.

cash05458
02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
sorry...thought it seemed clear but guess not! just wondering if we cyclist tend towards depression more than in other sports...maybe a silly question...I have always thought there were quite a few suicides amongst ex racers plus maybe a tendency towards depression...and maybe something about endurance sports and depression...ie, as a way to fight it...

jemoryl
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Maybe, I don't know. But my SO has observed that I am "grumpier" when I can't ride. I'm sure those around me must be hoping that the snow we have been having in the NE melts quickly!

Nags&Ducs
02-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Maybe, I don't know. But my SO has observed that I am "grumpier" when I can't ride. I'm sure those around me must be hoping that the snow we have been having in the NE melts quickly!

That is certainly true for me!

CunegoFan
02-16-2014, 07:19 PM
I think there are people who self-medicate with activities like cycling, so the percentage of those with depression issues in cycling is greater than the general population.

Shortsocks
02-16-2014, 07:22 PM
That is certainly true for me!

Im with you on that. For sure. If I dont get out and ride I feel horrible. Grumpy and snappy as hell. And if I see other cyclists out enjoying themselves..oh man. I turn into a Dick. :banana:

commonguy001
02-16-2014, 07:23 PM

I'm with you
Our Midwest winter just keeps going and going.

cash05458
02-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I think there are people who self-medicate with activities like cycling, so the percentage of those with depression issues in cycling is greater than the general population.

guess this is what I was thinking as well...beyond grumpy...grumpy is nothing... pick your poison...this is better self medication than many other forms...maybe it is also why cycling folks are abit obsessed, touchy, argumentative at times more than the rest...

Fixed
02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
I have anxiety and depression but add cycling and iam fixed

Much
Better
Cheers

pbarry
02-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Good thread here.

I used cycling as my therapist in my teens-twenties-early thirties. Many of those long miles were used to process family/relationship stuff. It's much harder for me to put in big miles now, since those issues have subsided/been dealt with.

Also: I've dated a few endurance athletes who came from homes with serious family problems. The daily workout was far superior to anti-depresants for them.

cash05458
02-16-2014, 09:17 PM
P...appreciate the comment of good thread here...didnt mean to be vague...but folks seem to get abit uptight talking about this stuff...I DO think there is something that goes with melancholia and our sport and just wanted to open up a discussion about it...I think there is an underlying thread, maybe a small one via personalities as we are as folks and how we deal with world...that is there and prolly goes deep than campy vs shimano or carbon vs steel...personally, steel and lugged here and certainly am more melancholic....!

memory and time...how is that for vague?

Seramount
02-17-2014, 09:56 AM
people that engage in activities that they enjoy and that produce endorphins experience some symptoms of deprivation when they can't run, swim, cycle, etc...

not all that complicated.

Fixed
02-17-2014, 01:48 PM
This is serious stuff many people suffer from mental pain that is unbearable some would do anything just to have it stop .
One day can be beautiful the next horrible beyond description it is the roller coaster I know well ...
then there was today in all it's beauty and a perfect few hours ..
Cheers

JAGI410
02-17-2014, 03:32 PM
My life would be absolutely miserable without cycling and music. I tried anti-depressants before and hated the way they made me feel. Not that they didn't help, but knowing you're reliant on a little pill to put you in a good mood is more depressing than having depression in the first place! For some though it's a god send. What works for me is getting lost in a song or turning the pedals.

Netdewt
02-17-2014, 07:56 PM
This wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've been on SSRIs before and I did not like them. Unfortunately winter really sucks here and I struggle to find anything active to do. The gym kind of helps, but it's depressing all on its own.

MattTuck
02-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I can't say that I've been particularly prone to depression in the past, but when my marriage fell apart and during the ensuing divorce, I was pretty low. This forum and cycling in general really gave me an outlet.

I feel like I'm on a good path now and cycling is definitely a part of that.

giverdada
02-17-2014, 08:27 PM
totally.

kinda like when i reconnected with my (formerly) close cousin whom i hadn't really seen or hung out with in years. turned out we were living parallel lives, down to liking the same doughnut! (sour cream glazed) anyway, it seemed that all of a sudden, all of us had huge similarities: BIKES, medium format photography, donuts, etc. here on the forum, it's often amazing how much in common we all have OTHER than just the bikes. i really enjoy how people, with whom i would never have a conversation, open up to their complex sides and enliven and enrich the 'place', and teach me a thing or few in the process. it's pretty great.

i have coped with most of life through physical activity, most early in my adolescence with bikes, and more recently with bikes and running. my doctor told me i needed to start running again when i went to see her in my mid-twenties with vein pain in my leg. i was a new dad and a new teacher and the world was breathing down my neck and ripping the balance out of my wallet and then my legs hurt. doc told me to run. i haven't stopped since. also started commuting on my bike again; haven't stopped since. as low as i can get, i can almost always dig myself back out to the light in a couple hours on the bike. (and like the rest of yas: when i'm not riding/running i'm nastier than a badger trying to quit smoking!)

oh, and my most recent discovery within this crap winter: 6x the dose of Vitamin D drops. total accident, but has been awesome! alright. off to shovel again…

n.

Scuzzer
02-17-2014, 08:40 PM
My life would be absolutely miserable without cycling and music.

Mine too. Unfortunately I tend to like depressing music as well so I have to make sure I don't spin something like Cale's "Music for a New Society" too often.

I tried anti-depressants before and hated the way they made me feel. Not that they didn't help, but knowing you're reliant on a little pill to put you in a good mood is more depressing than having depression in the first place!

I'm the opposite here, my doctor put me on Cymbalta for a short time about 7 years ago and it had no effect on my mood but it really messed me up for about 4 weeks while coming off of it. It was the worst month of my life and I can't believe they're advertising it as a chronic pain reliever now. Maybe it will work for some people but I feel sorry for the folks who only get the side effects.