dedicated to "things cycling" atmo cheers. :beer:
http://www.rapha.cc/

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
bump-a-rama

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=94

Hysbrian
01-31-2006, 01:10 PM
that looks awesome. i.m.o. there is nothing better than a well designed mag.
I've always been particial to mags over books. i like pictures.

fiamme red
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
"Magnus - an interview with the sinister but likeable Swede"

Sinister?!?!
http://www.glarkware.com/securestore/c181845p16493131.2.html

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=160:
Print 4 : £300.00 -- mp!

zeroking17
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
wow-ee-ka-zow-ee.
the new publication from rapha, Rouleur, is perhaps
the most beautifully designed 'zine that i've ever seen
dedicated to "things cycling" atmo cheers. :beer:
http://www.rapha.cc/

Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of Rapha before. I registered for a complimentary copy of the mag.

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of Rapha before. I registered for a complementary copy of the mag.

bump-issimo
dbrk has mentioned the apparel several times,
and i have seen some on a client .

the energy behind this marque is tres cool
and extemely au courant. my senses had a
coup d'etat when i leafed through the 'zine.
but that's just me - ymmv atmo cheers. :beer:

fiamme red
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
my senses had a coup d'etat when i leafed through the 'zine.Care to translate, for those of us ignorant of Latin? :confused: ;)

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Care to translate, for those of us ignorant of Latin? :confused: ;)

if you're ingnorant of latin i'll try to be concise.
it's an old language rarely used anymore 'ceptin
for prescriptions, college frats, and epicopalian
services. it's m.e. atmo bro. :beer:

Tom
01-31-2006, 01:42 PM
That's Latin for "Cup of the Tat"

manet
01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
pulp epiphany

zeroking17
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
the energy behind this marque is tres cool
and extemely au courant. my senses had a
coup d'etat when i leafed through the 'zine.
but that's just me - ymmv atmo cheers. :beer:

Well, it clearly sports a certain je nais sais quois.*

*I think that's French for either "head cheese" or "reverse osmosis." Please correct me if, iyho, I'm wrong.

manet
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, it clearly sports a certain je nais sais quois.*

*I think that's French for either "head cheese" or "reverse osmosis." Please correct me if, iyho, I'm wrong.

nay.

that's the mohawk's phrase for 'gay iroquois'

Catulle
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Thank you a lot..!! Stuff like this is always welcome , particularly by ignorant folk such as m'self. :beer:

Catulle
01-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Wait a sec, Mr. e-RICHIE. I might be ignorant but I ain't got no use for a place that only sells small sizes and pink colored stuff. What kind'a Brokeback Mountain cowboy place this is? Jezz, I sure ain't going to no Provo with you. Tell Rapha (what kind'a name this is anyway) to let us know when he gets the macho stuff. :D

fiamme red
01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
e-RICHIE,

How would you compare this to Asphalt magazine?

yeehawfactor
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
how does one register for a free copy?

edit: nevermind, figured it out. not too observant......

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
e-RICHIE,

How would you compare this to Asphalt* magazine?

i haven't seen one* lately, but Rouleur is just like the
art magazines you'd find at borders (or "that kinda' place")
wrt graphic design, paper stock, photography, etcetera. the
only industry 'zine that i'd say holds a candle is a short-lived
mid 80s one called Bicycle Rider - or something like that.

Rouleur looks and reads better.

Fixed
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
bro that was nice of them to name a jersey after me cheers :beer:

yeehawfactor
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
fixed i named one of my bikes after you!

when you registered for your free copy, did anyone receive a confirmation screen? i checked my email and confirmed my registration but it didn't say one was on the way or anything.

zeroking17
01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
fixed i named one of my bikes after you!

when you registered for your free copy, did anyone receive a confirmation screen? i checked my email and confirmed my registration but it didn't say one was on the way or anything.

I did not receive a confirmation of my confirmation after sending the return email confirmation. The madness must stop somewhere!

If the magazine is being shipped from the UK, it could take weeks. e-Richie, how was your copy shipped?

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
I did not receive a confirmation of my confirmation after sending the return email confirmation. The madness must stop somewhere!

If the magazine is being shipped from the UK, it could take weeks. e-Richie, how was your copy shipped?

mine was a gift from a u.k. forum-ite.
"u.k." means united kingdom. i don't
want to infer university of kentucky or
similar for fear of getting pm-ed by the
forum police atmo.

dbrk
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
We (the Tournesolers) met with Rapha briefly at Interbike and they are as fine a lot of serious minded cyclists with as keen an eye as I have ever known. We hope to have some connection with them in the future but no matter what that might be, we'll always be in admiration. The price reflects the quality and no one will be disappointed in that.

I saw the magazine too and, honestly, I know how much work this takes.
My dear pal and student Mitchel Bleier and I founded a new magazine for thinking humans interested in art, history, language, and all things yoga (think: "engagement" not just stretching in Sanskrit). Look here: http://matrikayoga.com
if you are curious...Bike related note bene: You will in the coming issues of Matrika find some stellar photographs of bicycles and likely a piece about French randonneurs with a kind of philosophical twist about things handmade, durable, thoughtfully considered, etc. And the work of a wonderful artist who happens to be the spouse of a renowned bicycle builder. (I'm actually hoping to line up another such artisan/spouse connected to our cycling world in the coming weeks as well.) There will be lots of interesting things about/near/obliquely connected to cycling in this quarterly that purports to be about "yoga."

dbrk

BBB
01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Funny that the topic of Rapha and this magazine has come up.

I saw a copy of this magazine on their website in late August/early September last year. I discussed the logic of spending 9 pounds (a lot in Australian dollars) on a magazine, albeit one that appears to be classy, with hybridbellbaske. He in turn purchased the magazine and one of their great looking jerseys. The customer service he received seemed excellent, so I took the plunge and ordered the magazine.

Unfortunately the damn thing did not come (although hbb received his jersey and magazine with no problems), although my credit card was billed more or less straight away. So I e-mail them some time in late October and get a reply saying they will look into the matter. That is the last I have heard from them and as yet no magazine.

I have sent a number of e-mails chasing the matter up without a response. I did indicate that I would ring a week or so ago, but have yet to do so. But still, when you are ordering something from overseas, it is a pain to have to ring from Australia to chase up an order that never arrived.

In any event, I received a card in the mail the other day from Australia Post saying I have an international registered item to collect at my local post office. I can only assume (and hope) that this is my missing magazine. I haven't ordered anything else from overseas and this is the only logical explanation. Fingers crossed.

Anyway I have been somewhat disappointed in the service in this case. How hard is it to respond to an e-mail querying the whereabouts of an order??? It is all the more frustrating when it is over a magazine of all things.

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
it's the inaugural issue.
mebbe there was a publishing prob or
even a prob with oz post. ya' never know.
even still, it's a smashing 'zine and i hope
that you like it. thanks alot and have a
nice day.

BBB
01-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I suspect it was probably a postage problem between the UK and here. Still, not that hard to reply to an e-mail (or e-mails) is it? I've heard it is a quality production, so I am really looking forward to receiving it.

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I suspect it was probably a postage problem between the UK and here. Still, not that hard to reply to an e-mail (or e-mails) is it? I've heard it is a quality production, so I am really looking forward to receiving it.

you'd be surprised what gets filtered out of inboxes
that passes for junk. two weeks ago i discovered at
least 40 emails in my junk folder all filtered there
due to wierd subject headers, or none at all. and
these were business related and time-specific.
but please - relax. pour a cold one. and have a
nice day.

Johny
01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Rapha may not reply emails quickly but they do have excellent customer service. Not long ago, I exchanged two jerseys (to size up) and got postage ($20) fully refunded. Not to mention that I wore one of them for a few times (and I even cut a tag off the jersey) and I got a new one back in return...

BBB
01-31-2006, 10:32 PM
The joys of modern and time saving technology hey?

If worse comes to worse, I can always swipe hybridbellbaske's copy...

Johny
01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
FWIW, Rapha merino socks rock!!!
http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=102

I've bought many from Rapha (not that I have a lot of money but seriously they offer you a 20% off coupon plus you don't have pay VATs outsides of the EU--tha's another 15% off...and they sometimes offer special sales). More importantly, these are TOP-quality and well-thoughtout CYCLING products...worth every penny.

We often discuss how much joy a frame/fork, tires, etc, can offer. And I think Rapha (and Ibex) stuff is a part of that equation.

nick0137
02-01-2006, 03:57 AM
I've never bought any Rapha gear but, having seen it on mates, it looks good stuff. But, for sure, "Rouleur" (which I have seen) is a great mag - serious photos and interesting writing. Yeah, it's v.expensive for a mag but it's so far ahead of the competition that, well, there isn't really any competition. (Declaration of interest - bloke in my club edited the mag. He also edits and does most of the reviews on www.roadcyclinguk.com.)

BBB
02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Further to my previous posts on Rouleur, finally got the magazine. Looks pretty swish although it is not exactly a weighty tome.

e-RICHIE
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Further to my previous posts on Rouleur, finally got the magazine. Looks pretty swish although it is not exactly a weighty tome.

weighty as in "avoirdupois" or content.
i'm shallow, so i really like how pretty
the magazine presentation is. the paper
stock, er, rocks imho.

Catulle
02-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I got mine coming. I sincerely hope it has at least as many interesting articles to read as Playboy because I was never one to be interested in the pictures. I never inhaled, either. :no:

Steve Hampsten
02-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I love my black Rapha jersey as shown in this month's Bicycling. Comfortable, great fabric, fits me just great.

I think it needs to become a cult with tattoos and a gospel and all...

BBB
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Not 'avoirdupois' (although it's not real heavy) but content in the sense that it will not take a great deal of time to read. The pictures are pretty cool, you are right. It's a classy production.

bluesea
02-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Some day I'll own those gloves.

shoe
02-03-2006, 02:12 AM
i like a site with lots of cool stuff and then nothing in your size....makes the wants of consumerism easier...but there was one thing in my size....good looking stuff none the less ... gear and magazine....dave