PDA

View Full Version : Catlike Whisper - fit impressions?

vqdriver
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
i wear specialized helmets almost exclusively because i just can't get comfortable with giro or bell. i really wanted to and tried em all, but they taper in the front and pinch my temples. i don't have that problem with S helmets and so here i am.

anyhow, i'm looking at new helmets again and wonder how the catlike's fit. not sizewise per se, but more the shape they design around. does it taper in the front a la giro, or more roundish like specialized? there is a dealer with handful in stock but it's kind of a drive so i'd like a general idea before making the trek.

on a related note, they seem to have dropped out of the few local shops that carried them and are on sale everywhere online. was there some problem with these or was there just no market for the design???

verticaldoug
02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Even though the Whisper is on sale, I bought the Mixino. The mixino feels and looks more finished. I had a Giro Atmos before the Mixino and feel the fit is pretty similar. (The atmos may be more round than the later models) Both the helmets are incredibly well vented so summer riding is never an issue.

D

crownjewelwl
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
roundish...i have a round melon and the whisper fit me great

also had good luck with kask

exapkib
02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Ditto--rounder than the Bell that I used previously.

I also found the fit system inside of the Catlike to be very effective--really cinches down onto my noggin in a secure but comfortable way.

FlashUNC
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Not to totally hijack this thread, but for Catlike owners, can you fit a cap underneath one?

On all but the hottest days I usually wear a cap, either bill front or bill in the rear. On some helmets, that doesn't play nice with the retention system.

exapkib
02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I wear a cap under mine on occasion--no problem. Plays nice with thicker winter caps as well.

Not to totally hijack this thread, but for Catlike owners, can you fit a cap underneath one?

On all but the hottest days I usually wear a cap, either bill front or bill in the rear. On some helmets, that doesn't play nice with the retention system.

RedRider
02-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Catlike has a new US distributor and has changed their sales channel a couple of times since they started selling in the US a few years ago. They have introduced the Mixino as their new top of the line which is probably why you see the Whisper, which is still in their lineup, on sale.
They make a high quality helmet but only in 3 sizes, small, med & large.
I haven't heard anything negative but there are many new helmets being introduced such as POC and Kask that dealers might be switching to.

vqdriver
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
yeah, those POCs look comfy if a bit clunky. considering for when i replace my mtb helmet.

has anyone tried a specialized and a catlike? i'd be interested to hear the comparison.

christian
02-13-2014, 03:45 PM
It's very round. I am happy in Giro and Bell and the Whisper I tried on felt short front-to-back and excessively wide side-to-side.

jr59
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM
I'm a BIG guy. With a huge head and they run small. Couldn't get it to fit at all

WickedWheels
02-15-2014, 02:22 AM
I Really like the fit of the Whisper. Giro's always gave me a headache from the contact points of the retention system. The Whisper fixed that. It feels like it sits a little off your head, but in a good way. The Mixino has a different feel. It's a bit smaller. Narrower. They were trying to make it lighter...