PDA

View Full Version : morning or night person/rider?

Climb01742
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
i'm curious about how folks fit riding/exercising into their lives and schedules.

1. what time do you wake up?
2. what time do you go to bed?
3. what time do you (usually) ride/exercise?

does it vary week/weekend? winter/summer?

davids
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
I've really become a morning person as I've started riding seriously. It's the very best time of day as far as traffic and general peacefulness.

Winter (actually, most of the school year, say October - April):

Weekdays I'm up at 6:00. 30 minutes on the trainer 2x/week. 30 minutes stretching/abs/push-ups 3x/week. Then coffee - breakfast - shower - commute.

Weekend: I get one long ride. Either mountain biking when it's cold, or road riding when it's not. E.g. I rode Saturday afternoon with 2 friends. 36 miles in 2 hours.

Summer:

Weekdays, I'll still get up at 6:00 or so. Earlier on riding days, maybe 5:45. I try to ride 2-3 mornings for about 90 minutes/25 miles.

Weekends are similar to the Winter, only I ride longer (40 -60 miles), and almost exclusively on the road.

I'm in bed by 10 - 10:30 most nights, year round. TV sucks.

znfdl
01-31-2006, 10:37 AM
My usual schedule:

Weekday:

Up at 5:00 am out of the door at 5:30 ride my 20 miles to work.
Leave work at 4-4:30PM, ride my 20 miles to home

Days that I miss my commute, 1-3 hours on the trainer.

Weekend:
Try to get a 100+ mile ride with lots of climbing or do a shorter (75+ mile) very intense ride.

coylifut
01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
My schedule for the last 6 weeks, soon to be changing.

M- up at 6 and on the rollers for 1/2 hour. I leave work around 3 and hit the weights for 1 hour immediately followed by another 1/2 hour of rollers.

T - I leave work about 3 and ride my fixed gear over rolling to hilly terrain for 1.5 hours.

W- up at 6 and on the rollers for 1/2 hour. I leave work around 3 and hit the weights for 1 hour immediately followed by another 1/2 hour of rollers.

TH - Mr. Mom

F - I leave work about 3 and ride my fixed gear over rolling to hilly terrain for 1.5 hours.

S - Team ride about 3 - 3.5 hours

Sun - Watch football all day long

So, only 10 total hours for me right now. Kind of hard for me to do so little, but my goals aren't until fall.

mflaherty37
01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
My schedule is like this YO

M - F: Work and Watch TV because it is too cold to ride in the AM, too dark in the PM.
Sat & Sun: Ride at 1PM if not wet.

Check Please

Hysbrian
01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
M-F
Wake 8am
Riding by 9:30
Class 2-5pm
Asleep by 10-11

Leaves little time for binge drinking.

Tom
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Winter:

(1) 0500
(2) 2000-2130
(3) 0600, 1hr trainer 4of5 weekdays

Weekends? This year 2-3hr ride Sat, 1.5-2.5 Sun, late morning

Summer:

(1) 0430
(2) 2000-2130
(3) 0530, 1.5-2 hr 4 of 5 weekdays

Weekends as much as I can get away with

manet
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
coffee

gone
01-31-2006, 02:49 PM
i'm curious about how folks fit riding/exercising into their lives and schedules.

Usually in bed between 10:00-10:30, up by 7:00 (usually up between 2-4 AM also, but that's another story). On the road at around 9:00-9:30 after the "go to work" traffic has gone and the drag strip at the nearby high school has closed.

Greg

inGobwetrust
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/10/43/28m.jpg

Ken Lehner
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM

Currently, due to the wife's new job as a teacher, I'm up at 5am and in the pool by 5:20, out by 6:15am (bleah), 3-5 days per week. When my calf injury heals, I'll be getting up like that M-F to swim or run. I'm in bed by 10pm. I try to get home and cook dinner for the family; while they eat I ride the trainer at about 6pm.

All this will change when there is enough daylight to ride/run after work, and come summer when I'll be at work by 7am so I can ride/run long during the week.

The Spider
02-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Weekdays:
bike training once or twice a week in the morning...up at 5 on the road by 5:40...2 good hours. Weights 3 times a week in afternoons (arms/legs/chest session). non training days I commute for 9 miles each way (14km) on the singlespeed followed by cat & camel yoga stretches at work (gotta keep the girls happy).

Weekend: one nice big juicy ride, the kind where the wife rings you to see if your O.K or if your EVER coming back home.

Kevin
02-01-2006, 05:45 AM

1. Around 6:00
2. Around 10:30
3. First thing in the morning.

Kevin

William
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM
3:30

9:30-10:00

1:00

S&S:
~6:00

Whenever

~7:00-7:30 (though sometimes later if I feel like sleeping in more).

William

Ray
02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Back when I worked at an office, I'd be up a 6, at work by 7:30, and out by 3:30 or 4:00. So I'd ride 2-3 hours many afternoons in the summer, plus weekends. Now that I'm self-employed, I try not to combine my rides with rush hour. I get up with the family at 6-6:30, work for a few hours, ride for 2-3 hours late morning/early afternoon when the weather's half decent (above freezing, dryish, and nothing too slippery on the roads), work for another few hours, to bed by 10-11. If we ever get more than a few days of really bad weather, I'll start going to the gym again, but it hasn't happened this winter yet. Oh yeah, I do a half hour of yoga most mornings before I start working.

So far the money sucks (but is showing signs of improvement), but the lifestyle is unbeatable!

-Ray

TimB
02-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Wake: 4:43am M-F, usually by 5:30am on weekends.
In Bed: 9-9:30pm (though often up again once or twice for baby duty before 3AM)
Exercise: 5:05-6:05AM M-F, weekends vary with family committments.

jeffg
02-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Indoor:

2-3 days after work, often between midnight and 3AM

Outdoor: early morning (leave between 6 and 8 AM).

Bruce K
02-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I get up at 5:30 every morning and leave my house for work by 6:15 as I am in my office from 7:00 to 4:00 or so.

All my weekday riding is evenings. Spin classes 2 nights per week, working on a 3rd, but that is at the whim of my wife, son, and family stuff.

Weekend rides are all early mornings (and they can last all morning) when the weather gets better. Right now, the group is riding mid-day and that's kind of disruptive to "honey-do" projects, so it's early spin classes or early solo rides.

BK

spiderlake
02-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Wow - a bunch of early risers on this forum!

Weekday(s) - I generally wake up around 630-7AM. In the office by 9AM and leave around 430-5PM.

Workouts in the winter (trainer in the basement) typically begin between 7-9PM. I try to finish my workouts by 10PM so that will usually dictate the start time.

In the summer, I adjust my work hours (come in earlier) so I can take advantage of the weather. I also have the advantage of being able to work remotely when the mood strikes.

Usually in bed by midnight.

Weekend(s) - up around 6AM

winter workouts - try to get them knocked out in the morning
summer workouts - early morning before it gets too warm

in bed around 11PM

spiderman
02-01-2006, 09:54 AM
but all the riding is outdoors
which is a very big plus...
up at 5:45
my commute one way is roughly 3 miles
i get a ride in at noon most days between 12 and 22 miles
depending on time availability
...averaging lately 16 to 18.
typically in bed by 11 pm.
ended up with 500 outdoor, fixed miles in january
with 200 roller miles.

Keith A
02-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Weekdays (all seasons which means lights for much of the year):
Up by 5:45am, and try to be out the door by 6:15am and in bed by 10:00pm

Weekends:
Group training ride starts at 8:00am and I leave (on the bike) the house by 7:30am and up by 6:45am. I still try and get to bed by 10:00am, but with two teenagers in the house this is often a challenge and a point of frustration at times for everyone :argue:

Ti-Boy
02-01-2006, 11:34 AM
The alarm goes off at 3:44am M-F to accomodate a workout and my one way 50 mile commute to be at work on time. I do spend some time in the home office as I cannot roll out of bed and into exercise mode immediately. The flip side is I'm usually in bed by 8:30pm.

Morning workouts are the best.

spiderlake
02-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I think I might have to give this morning workout thing a try..... The Army was the last time I had to be up early for physical activity so maybe I'm due for a change. Would be nice to start the day knowing I have my workout complete and out of the way.... I truly dread those nights when I have 2.5 hours scheduled on the trainer! I'd almost rather stay at work...... ; )

Rapid Tourist
02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
1) up at 6:00am on weekdays
2) in bed by 10:00pm on weekdays.

up a little later on the weekends

like to ride very first thing in the am. If I try to ride in the afternoon I feel more sluggardly and that's no fun.

interesting question.

jerk
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my... time

The show usually starts around seven
We go on stage around nine
Get on the bus about eleven
Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

We been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone
He's been knockin'
He won't leave me alone
No, no ,no, he won't leave me alone
I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't do
So the little got more and more
I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
Said the little better than before

Now I get up around whenever
I used ta get up on time
But that old man he's a real mutha****er
Gonna kick him on down the line

Shoved it in the bindle and I shot it in the middle
And it, it drove outta my mind
I should've known better, said I wish I never met her Said I,
I leave it all behind Yowsa!

or maybe that's someone else.

jerk

Ti Designs
02-01-2006, 11:16 PM

During the week my alarm goes off at 4:30, On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I'm up, fed and on the bike a little after 5:30. I head into Harvard square to pick up the team and we head out form there. After leaving them back at Harvard square I do an extra little loop that gets me back home aroung 10:00. Then it's off to work. After work I play piano for at least an hour and then head into my shop to do that titanium artist thing for a few hours. I go to bed somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00AM. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm at the gym for a few hours, then off to work, then back to Harvard square to run the indoor training sessions with the team. Saturday is the long ride, leaving my house a little after 8:00 and getting back after 2:00. By Sunday I don't want to get out of bed...

Keith A
02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
During the week my alarm goes off at 4:30, ...I go to bed somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00AM.How in the world can you do all that on just 2-3 hours of sleep? If I don't get close to eight a night, I don't have all the energy I'd like...but with only 3 hours, I would be a zombie
http://www.nevillesgarden.co.uk/flash/zombie_icon.jpg

spiderman
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
During the week my alarm goes off at 4:30, On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I'm up, fed and on the bike a little after 5:30. I head into Harvard square to pick up the team and we head out form there. After leaving them back at Harvard square I do an extra little loop that gets me back home aroung 10:00. Then it's off to work. After work I play piano for at least an hour and then head into my shop to do that titanium artist thing for a few hours. I go to bed somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00AM. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm at the gym for a few hours, then off to work, then back to Harvard square to run the indoor training sessions with the team. Saturday is the long ride, leaving my house a little after 8:00 and getting back after 2:00. By Sunday I don't want to get out of bed...

the fountain of youth must be at harvard square...

sirroada
02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Up every morning at 6:30.
I own my business so I set my schedule around all my other obligations. I am also a dad of a one year old and I have number two due in June. My business is also about a year and a half old so I am working to build it...and we're getting there.
Mon, Wed, Fri-wake up get family ready, kid to daycare by 8:30, me to work by nine. From 1-3pm I go to the gym and spin for 30 minutes, lift for 30 minutes. In the summer I say screw the gym, I ride from 1-3. Work till 6. Bed by 11pm.
Tues, Thurs-Daddy Day Care in the AM, work till 6. Bed by 11.
My evenings are mandatory family time. However, I have talked the wife into allowing me to ride thursday evenings with the club this summer YEEHAW!!
Sat-up at 6. (I do nothing in the winter, in the summer I do a 2-3 hour ride).
Sun-Like the good lord said-a day of rest...unless I feel moved to RIDE.

george
02-02-2006, 10:11 PM
I wake up between 9 and 10 o'clock, put in a ride between 11:00am and 1:00pm, then eat, shower and start work at 4 oclock. :)

Ti Designs
02-03-2006, 06:02 AM
the fountain of youth must be at harvard square...

Well, when I say I meet the team in Harvard square, I mean women's team. Coaching them is my version of the fountain of youth. As for the lack of sleep thing, some people are born with it. I tried to go to sleep at 10:00, I just wake up around one and eat about 6 meals before the ride - doesn't work for me.

It's 36 degrees and raining out now (7:00AM), looks like a few hours on the trainer. I'm catching up on watching all the pro racing that y'all keep talking about while I'm on the trainer. This morning it's the 95 Giro - hey, I'm getting there!

Tom
02-03-2006, 07:19 AM
36 degrees and raining? Dude... you should be riding outside. No ice, it's ridin' weather!

I envy your ability not to sleep. There simply aren't enough hours in a day. I forget who said it but I liked the quote: "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

The Dominatrix
02-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I tried to go to sleep at 10:00...

You go to bed when I TELL you to go to bed!!!!

fiamme red
02-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I tried to go to sleep at 10:00...

You go to bed when I TELL you to go to bed!!!!Have a grudge against someone, Roy? :rolleyes:

bcm119
02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Y'all are a bunch of go-getters. I need 8 hours minimum/night. Getting up before its light never appealed to me.

I can barely get out of bed by 7:30, sometimes I listen to npr til 8.

Work at 8:30, ride from noon to 2 or 2:30, then work until 6 or 6:30.

Saturdays I usually do a club ride at 9, but if its too windy or I just don't feel like it, I'll sleep in and ride later.

I'm in bed by 11. If I didn't have a job I'd go to bed at 3 and wake up at 11. I'm a night person.

Like my grandma used to say, "Everything in moderation"....My days of being hard core about sports are long gone.

jcmuellner
02-03-2006, 11:10 PM
1. Wake up around 7 or 7:30 a.m. Clean kitchen, drink tea.
2. Go to bed between 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. after wine consumpition
3. Ride/exercise during the week:

M - nuthin'
T - weights 1 hour
W - try for a ride 25+ miles or rollers
Th- weights 1 hour
F- nuthin' or ride 25+ miles or rollers
Sa - ride 25+ miles
Su - 75-100 miles

It varies by season more than by week and mostly by work, family, volunteer boards and other time intensive activities. If I had my way, all I would do is ride. Lately, all I do is work all week and ride 75-100 miles on Sunday...as all my events are for randonneuring, time in the saddle is good, but I can make do with less if necessary and just battle through the events. It's more mind than body for me, but I am also inherently lazy.

Cadence230
02-04-2006, 12:54 AM
I feel like such a slug easy livin' in tall cotton comforter reading these replies.
Up at 8am. On the road by 10 or 11am till about 10 min before sunset. Every day of the week(they're all the same for me). Except for two short days a week for recovery and speed work or weather, in which case some inside roller riding. Cripes. If had to work like you all I'd quit riding! :) I'm lazy. Maybe not. Cheers. mike