PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question: Is 11pm too late for the doping police to knock on your door?

MattTuck
02-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Link does contain spoilers on the results of a race that happened today. (http://boston.com/sports/other-sports/olympics/2014/02/12/austria-protests-doping-test-eve-olympic-race/ZbXyUj5j2xBnC0dgoYBn7H/story.html)

The Austrian Olympic Committee has filed a complaint with the IOC after Alpine skier Elisabeth Goergl was drug-tested the night before the women’s downhill at the Sochi Games.

The Austrian committee said doping officials visited the 2010 bronze medalist at 10:55 p.m. local time for an unannounced test, and it interrupted her preparations.

Black Dog
02-12-2014, 12:54 PM
If they set times that are off limits from doping tests that just opens up a safe window to dope or get past the noticeable traces of the doping. Random 24 hour testing is part of the game.

nooneline
02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
If they set times that are off limits from doping tests that just opens up a safe window to dope or get past the noticeable traces of the doping. Random 24 hour testing is part of the game.

no, random 17-hour testing is part of the game, because people are allowed to sleep.

what banned substances are only detectable within <7 hours of their application?

Lewis Moon
02-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Sorry, this test was out of line. There are 16 hours in the day and everyone is around after the race. This was bullying.

summilux
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Police state habits die hard. Apparently the doping people are harrasing the Canadian figure skaters too.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/figureskating/2014/02/08/kaetlyn_osmond_latest_in_long_line_of_canadian_ska ters_in_sochi_to_undergo_drug_testing.html

rice rocket
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
At least they're not popping snowboarders for weed again.

tiretrax
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
At least they're not popping snowboarders for weed again.

There wouldn't be anyone to compete.

spartanKid
02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
no, random 17-hour testing is part of the game, because people are allowed to sleep.

what banned substances are only detectable within <7 hours of their application?

The half-life of regular testosterone is 2-4 hours. Testosterone esthers, that is testosterone molecules with different length carbon chains bonded to the OH group, have much longer half-lives and longer lasting effects because of the extra esther groups.

http://www.anabolicsteroids-hormoneknowledge-bigmuscles-drugs.com/images/test2.gif

vs.

http://www.anabolicsteroids-hormoneknowledge-bigmuscles-drugs.com/images/enanthate.png

The second image of test-enanthate, has a half-life of 5+ days.

cachagua
02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
(I think you mean "ester"?)

spartanKid
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
(I think you mean "ester"?)

You would be correct.

cachagua
02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
(I wasn't sure whether to say anything. Spelling is so optional these days.)

Louis
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
(I wasn't sure whether to say anything. Spelling is so optional these days.)

But parentheses are required? ;)

cachagua
02-12-2014, 11:13 PM
For me they are! It's part of my self-effacing, apologetic portrayal of myself.

In real life, I'm an insufferably pretentious, arrogant a**hat.

cachagua
02-13-2014, 12:53 PM
The half-life of regular testosterone is 2-4 hours... test-enanthate has a half-life of 5+ days.

Interesting. But how long does it take for their effects to be meaningful? Can you take a hit of testosterone the night before competition, or the week before, and fly up the hills or shred the half-pipe or whatever (ask your boss for a raise, or your girlfriend for, uh, a kiss), or does it have to be administered steadily over time?

And presumably if the latter, you just have to administer steadily up 'til, maybe, a day or three before your event? That, I suppose, is the art of doping.

CunegoFan
02-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Interesting. But how long does it take for their effects to be meaningful? Can you take a hit of testosterone the night before competition, or the week before, and fly up the hills or shred the half-pipe or whatever (ask your boss for a raise, or your girlfriend for, uh, a kiss), or does it have to be administered steadily over time?

And presumably if the latter, you just have to administer steadily up 'til, maybe, a day or three before your event? That, I suppose, is the art of doping.

Testing at the Olympics is window dressing. They will catch a few stupid people. The serious doping took place in the months (and years) prior to the Olympics.

Lewis Moon
02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Testing at the Olympics is window dressing. They will catch a few stupid people. The serious doping took place in the months (and years) prior to the Olympics.

Yep. Slap on the muscle, stave off the inflamation, wash, repeat.

spartanKid
02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
That, I suppose, is the art of doping.

Bingo. Ben Johnson says that he and his coach were sold a different steroid than the one they wanted. He ended up failing his test for Winny (Winstrol, aka stanozolol), when he expected to be taking Furazabol, which has as a shorter half-life

Joachim
02-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Even then, they can test at 9pm and again the next morning. There is nothing out there worth taking that will be non detectable after 7 hrs. Half lives do not follow linear excretion, it's takes around 6 half lives for the parent compound to be out of the system ( assuming first order pharmacokinetics). Quite a number of tests focus on detecting metabolites which has a much longer window of detection. Now if you want to start messing around with blood passport values, it's a different story.

tuscanyswe
02-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Bingo. Ben Johnson says that he and his coach were sold a different steroid than the one they wanted. He ended up failing his test for Winny (Winstrol, aka stanozolol), when he expected to be taking Furazabol, which has as a shorter half-life

And the really weird part is that would have been legal too.

RFC
02-14-2014, 11:50 PM
And the really weird part is that would have been legal too.

When I saw Ben Johnson cross the finish line, there was no doubt in my mind. He has actually become a very interesting guy.

spartanKid
02-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Yep. Slap on the muscle, stave off the inflamation, wash, repeat.

http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/how-i-beat-a-steroid-test

If anyone needs more detailed steps to beating WADA tests

PQJ
02-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Even then, they can test at 9pm and again the next morning. There is nothing out there worth taking that will be non detectable after 7 hrs. Half lives do not follow linear excretion, it's takes around 6 half lives for the parent compound to be out of the system ( assuming first order pharmacokinetics). Quite a number of tests focus on detecting metabolites which has a much longer window of detection. Now if you want to start messing around with blood passport values, it's a different story.

I love your posts Joachim. Every time I read them I regret not having become a scientist (this completely setting aside that I was never all that good with the sciences)!

Ahneida Ride
02-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Suppose you wake up a figure skater the night before the gold medal
event .... and you let her competitors sleep ?

Joachim
02-15-2014, 07:07 AM
I love your posts Joachim. Every time I read them I regret not having become a scientist (this completely setting aside that I was never all that good with the sciences)!

Thanks! It's never too late, you can always apply for a phd student position in my lab :). You might have to take an enormous salary cut compared to your current salary, but hey..it's for the love of science. Just look at Dr. Ferrari!