PDA

View Full Version : O(off)T: Vacuum Cleaners

aatores
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Not really a forum topic but I'd much rather spend the time it would take to research new vacuum cleaners (as my wife has asked) thinking about my next bike.

Any favorites out there?
For house cleaning carpets and such -- not a shop vac :)

rcnute
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Not really a forum topic but I'd much rather spend the time it would take to research new vacuum cleaners (as my wife has asked) thinking about my next bike.

Any favorites out there?

The Shark! Research done. http://www.sharkclean.com/

Ryan

commonguy001
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Dyson just works although a bit expensive.
Bought one for the wife 10 years ago and it's still sucking up dirt I can't see.

Don49
02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Vacuum cleaners are the type of appliance where I would trust Consumer Reports to evaluate, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vacuum-cleaners.htm

Probably worth the $7 for one month of on-line access to read their tests and recommendations. You might end up buying a model they didn't test, but it's a worthwhile starting point.

1centaur
02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
There was a prior thread here and the most common answer was Miele. We had a Dyson and grew tired of its plastic-ness, sound, and function in the transition from carpet to hard floors. Just bought a Miele. Awesome. Feels like coming back from the wilderness.

Read reviews on Amazon of anything you see recommended here.

Ken Robb
02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Vacuum cleaners are the type of appliance where I would trust Consumer Reports to evaluate, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vacuum-cleaners.htm

Probably worth the $7 for one month of on-line access to read their tests and recommendations. You might end up buying a model they didn't test, but it's a worthwhile starting point.

Good advice and most libraries have subscriptions and back copies so patrons can review CR tests/recommendations.

Fixed
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
We have a Miele here it is very quiet .
Cheers

SlackMan
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Dyson just works although a bit expensive.
Bought one for the wife 10 years ago and it's still sucking up dirt I can't see.

For a long time, I thought Dysons were overpriced and just good at marketing hype. We bought one this year and it really does seem to be superior.

tmf
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
I've had a Dyson for around 9 years. I've been very happy with it. In addition to cleaning well, I find it pretty easy to clean.

Sheldon4209
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I agree with the plastic-ness of the Dyson but it is by far the best vacuum I have every had. I picks up dust and pet hair yet the filter is good enough not to bother my allergies.

sales guy
02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Miele. Best home appliances. My mom has had one since 1992. Been thru a ton of wars and is still kicking.

My wife and I have had one for almost 8 years. My wife is a super stickler on researching everything she buys. And she chose a Miele. Cleans very well, tons of attachments and lasts forever.

It's not as sexy as a Dyson and all, but it works. And I can turn the volume down and vacuum at midnight in a babies room without a peep from the screamy evil one(that's the wife not the baby!). Ha!!!!

FlashUNC
02-11-2014, 09:25 PM
We have hardwoods and concrete with the occasional rug. The Dyson hardwood vac is ridiculously good.

wallymann
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
this. everything else is marketing hype.

Miele. Best home appliances.

carpediemracing
02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I hope I don't jinx myself.

We have an LG Kompressor. It's bag-less, it "compresses" the debris (it sort of pats it down with a paddle), and it seems to be working pretty well.

We don't have a huge house but we have pretty big vacuum demands. I've been vacuuming almost daily for maybe a year? since my son both enjoys watching/helping/playing stay-away-from-the-vac as well as makes it necessary to vacuum. We got the vacuum cleaner maybe 18 months ago, when he started to crawl, because our then-current vacuums were not doing well.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1460169_10152111508153824_355166061_n.jpg
Helping dad.

We also have 8 cats (and since one is in a separate room we have 11 litter boxes, they're like bikes you should have N+1 boxes minimum) so I vacuum up copious amounts of litter. The latter is hard on vacuums, it's like vacuuming up your yard or something.

We had some Brielle uprights and both basically stopped working virtually immediately. So much for supporting a company that supports pro cycling.

Fixed
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Miele. Best home appliances. My mom has had one since 1992. Been thru a ton of wars and is still kicking.

My wife and I have had one for almost 8 years. My wife is a super stickler on researching everything she buys. And she chose a Miele. Cleans very well, tons of attachments and lasts forever.

It's not as sexy as a Dyson and all, but it works. And I can turn the volume down and vacuum at midnight in a babies room without a peep from the screamy evil one(that's the wife not the baby!). Ha!!!!

They also make a nice washing machine
Cheers :)

Idris Icabod
02-11-2014, 09:57 PM
We have had a Dyson for more than 10 years and it must have picked up about a million dog equivalents in hair, hoses split quite a lot but easy to get spare parts. We recently visited my sister in England and our rental car was filthy so I used her Miele vacuum to clean it, the Miele felt like it had way better suction than my Dyson, in fact it was close to sucking panels off the car. I would buy a Miele if I was back in the market, my wife's 40th birthday is coming up so perhaps I'll buy her one (wasn't that the recommendation for a landmark birthday in a different thread).

firerescuefin
02-11-2014, 09:58 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=81895&highlight=Vacuum

sales guy
02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
They also make a nice washing machine
Cheers :)

That's what I mean!! Best home appliances! Dishwasher, washer, dryer, stove, oven, vacuum. Fantastic German machinery.

jlyon
02-11-2014, 10:03 PM
That is what I bought after this thread a couple of years ago. It did not last more than 14 months and when I took it in for repairs they showed me about a dozen more of them waiting for parts so I went with the Shark so far so good.

sales guy
02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
That is what I bought after this thread a couple of years ago. It did not last more than 14 months and when I took it in for repairs they showed me about a dozen more of them waiting for parts so I went with the Shark so far so good.

Oh, I've never used an upright one. Only canisters. They are brilliant.

Aaron O
02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
My wife owns a cleaning business - she likes Miele best. She HATES Dyson and Shark, but hates dirt devil most of all. Hoover and Electrolux also score well for her.

xjoex
02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
We bought a Miele last year. Its amazing.

-Joe

Don49
02-11-2014, 10:53 PM
We also have 8 cats …….. The latter is hard on vacuums, it's like vacuuming up your yard or something.8 cats, you are a lucky man. Have you tried http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com ? It's corn based and doesn't scratch hardwood floors or furniture like the silica based litter. My cat likes it and it clumps well. Should be easier on the vacuum too.

<Now back to the vacuum cleaner discussion>

54ny77
02-11-2014, 10:57 PM
"I decry the lack of machismo in this thread. In five hundred years or more, human beings might have both sets of genitalia, male and female. I don’t want this evolution to have started already during vacuum discussion in cycling forum…"

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfig6qxcX91qga534o1_500.jpg

Don49
02-11-2014, 11:04 PM
"I decry the lack of machismo in this thread. In five hundred years or more, human beings might have both sets of genitalia, male and female. I don’t want this evolution to have started already during vacuum discussion in cycling forum…"
+1

And I apologize for quickening this evolutionary decline with the cat litter reference.

PQJ
02-12-2014, 06:55 AM
There can be only one: Miele. "Like the cockroach of vacuums." (They never die.)

sales guy
02-12-2014, 06:59 AM
There can be only one: Miele. "Like the cockroach of vacuums." (They never die.)

Never thought of it like a cockroach, but yep, they never die.

Chris
02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Anyone own a robo vacuum?

PQJ
02-12-2014, 07:32 AM

It came to me in moment of spontaneous creative genius (some might say 'stupidity' but whatever). Seriously, though, I got a Miele in 2001 and it is still going strong. It's been serviced all of twice in that period.

DoubleButted
02-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Miele. Not sure about Dysons, but other bagless vacs I've had were a pain to empty the container due to static electricity. Probably not the most eco-friendly, but I like just removing the bag and tossing it.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Any favorites out there?

Miele Jasper...this one..best I've had and I've had 2 Dyson, which were expensive, complicated POS.

93legendti
02-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Ours did after 11 years...$250 was the repair estimate...we replaced it with a Shark that cost around $150 from Target.

carpediemracing
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
8 cats, you are a lucky man. Have you tried http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com ? It's corn based and doesn't scratch hardwood floors or furniture like the silica based litter. My cat likes it and it clumps well. Should be easier on the vacuum too.

<Now back to the vacuum cleaner discussion>

Tried it but one cat went in it once. I left it there for a couple weeks but there wasn't even a paw print in that bin. Eventually I tossed what was there and gave the rest of the bag away to someone that uses it.

With 8 we have to work with the lowest common denominator. Food, litter, they're both not optimized but they work for all the cats. Currently Purina (one was allergic to every "healthier" food we tried) and Tidy Cat.

I figured there must be a individual collar-triggered litter/food thing, even cat doors (to keep food/litter in separate rooms/areas) but that was just a whimsical thought of mine.

I suppose I now need to shoot up some T or something to return to any semblance of a Cippolini type machismo level.

donevwil
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
My wife and I finally plunged on a Dyson Animal from Amazon I've forgotten the number) because we have three cats. Best vacuum we've ever used. It does have many filters, some of which are filters for filters (HEPA). Can't imagine how anyone could effectively clean them without compressed air (I do). The vacuum comes apart and builds back up like it was designed to do so. Very pleased even at the cost, just make sure to keep the filters clean.

Tried it but one cat went in it once. I left it there for a couple weeks but there wasn't even a paw print in that bin. Eventually I tossed what was there and gave the rest of the bag away to someone that uses it.

With 8 we have to work with the lowest common denominator. Food, litter, they're both not optimized but they work for all the cats. Currently Purina (one was allergic to every "healthier" food we tried) and Tidy Cat.

carpediemracing, My wife and I moved to animal bedding (same as saw dust fire place pellets, but not as heavily compacted) about three years ago. Easiest litter to clean up, just turns to sawdust when used. Costs $5 for a big bag (I think 30 lbs). Cats were transitioned from clay and our vet advised us to mix the two in gradually increasing ratios over the span of a month or so. It worked with all cats and smells much better than clay, new and used.

Saint Vitus
02-12-2014, 11:33 AM

I figured there must be a individual collar-triggered litter/food thing, even cat doors (to keep food/litter in separate rooms/areas) but that was just a whimsical thought of mine.

I suppose I now need to shoot up some T or something to return to any semblance of a Cippolini type machismo level.

The main reason I will not have cats. Gawd I hated the odor and dealing with urine drenched litter. We had 2, I can't even imagine 8, that is gluttony for punishment lol

Back to vacuums, no one has mention manly vacuums like Kirby, Interstate, etc... Those are vacuums made by and for men!

oldpotatoe
02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
The main reason I will not have cats. Gawd I hated the odor and dealing with urine drenched litter. We had 2, I can't even imagine 8, that is gluttony for punishment lol

Back to vacuums, no one has mention manly vacuums like Kirby, Interstate, etc... Those are vacuums made by and for men!

Cats don't have owners, they have 'staff'. Every time I see my neighbor walking their boxer when it's 10 degrees, I'm glad I have 2 cats.

BIG plus 1 for 'World's Best Litter', no smell, lasts a long time.

MadRocketSci
02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree with the plastic-ness of the Dyson but it is by far the best vacuum I have every had. I picks up dust and pet hair yet the filter is good enough not to bother my allergies.

yeah the plasticness serves the same purpose as on a bike...makes it lighter to pick up and go up. We haven't managed to crash the dyson yet in 7 years so it's been a benefit....

bags are so last millenium.....all the filter elements and container can be washed with water or detergents if necessary...

merlincustom1
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Miele Platinum canister here.

nicrump
02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
another miele owner here. it picks up my machismo ash and butts like no other.

Ken Robb
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
We bought a Miehle cannister with powered brush/head 10 years ago. We have a local vacuum store that only sells/services vacuums and their accessories. They sell several brands and have demo areas where we were able to test drive different types/brands. We liked the Miehle but it did cost a bit more than another brand that we liked. Then the shop owner said he could sell us a used Miehle for about the same price as the new Brand X and that they warranty their used Miehles the same as new ones. All I have done in 10 years is change the bags and HEPA filters and the system for that is very well designed so it is easily done. The bags have an autoclosing flap so when I remove a full bag none of the dirt/dust escapes into the air.

When I look at repair histories for vacuums in Consumer Reports I read that the question asked was "Have you had your vacuum repaired" with no time limit. So I wonder: If a person owned a cheap Brand X that died after 2 years of use why would they spend $$ to fix it? OTOH if that person owned a Brand B that needed first repairs after 10 years of faithful service and their dealer could make it "good as new" for less that 50% of the cost of a new one wouldn't they be more likely to have it repaired?

Heck, I wonder how many towns even have a shop that repairs vacuums any more.

Idris Icabod
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
What do a snowboard and a vacuum cleaner have in common?

Both have a dirtbag attached!

This was a joke, please don't take offense! Just thought I'd throw out the poular joke from when I lived in CO 15 years ago. It seemed to tie together the two topics of the day, vacuum cleaners and Shaun White.

merlinmurph
02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
If you decide on a Dyson and have time to wait, check woot.com every day and one will pop up at a good price. This is how we got ours.

Saint Vitus
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Heck, I wonder how many towns even have a shop that repairs vacuums any more.

You'd be surprised, heck there's one on Pearl!

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=vacuum+repair&find_loc=San+Diego%2C+CA

vqdriver
02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
posted similar thread myself before our purchase. same suggestions: dyson or miele. tried the dyson, loud as #$%@. seriously, try it out in a store and remember, your house will be much quieter when you vacuum than a best buy or whatever. even then, it was really really loud.

bought a miele. couldn't be happier.

flyhippy
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Get a maid, they bring their own.

druptight
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
For those looking not to break the bank, we were in the market for an upright bagless. Looking at consumer reports at the time (a year or two ago), there were about 5 upright vacuums that got above a 70 rating (out of 100). One of them was the Hoover Wind Tunnel vacs for like $130 at Target. They seem to work well, and you can buy a new one every 2 years and be set for 10 years for the price of one of the other ones that were rated over a 70. Filter cleans with water, air drys and re-use. Also of note, the highest rated dyson is a 56, and the next one down is a 45, and another at 43. SO yeah, they don't really like the dysons, and that's NOT taking into account the $$ you spend.

Louis
02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Filter cleans with water, air drys and re-use.

In my experience I've found that this is a big hassle. The corners of the accordion filter get full of dust cr@p and it takes quite a while to clean out the filter. YMMV

Aaron O
02-12-2014, 03:13 PM
My wife probably cleans more homes than every member who has posted combined - if she says Miele, the answer is Miele. Her business has 15 full time employees in teams of 3 who clean about 6 houses a day. She's used them all, her staff has used them all - she's the one to listen to.

Ken Robb
02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
You'd be surprised, heck there's one on Pearl!

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=vacuum+repair&find_loc=San+Diego%2C+CA

That's the one I was talking about. It's been there as long as I can remember. I think it is at least a two-generation business.

1happygirl
02-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Something I might know more about than On topic bicycles. LOL

Ok so I skimmed the thread and learned about Miele (a brand I wasn't aware of so I may not know more ,ha, and great Fixed info about other appliances in their line)

However,that being said, my 02. cents with the caveat YMMV> I suspect a vacuum cleaner has as many opinions as there are women and the preferences are just as personal.
Needed a vac for an apartment I had in the city so as someone suggested consulted Consumer Reports. Have had good luck with Kenmore products and bought a cheap one they rated highly (300$) that did okay.
It has a disposable Hepa rated bag which is a plus (see below). I also have a dog and hair and the bag lasts forever and I don't overstuff it.

I would never go with a bag-less as my friend who has animals also (although cats) let me borrow and to empty the refuse canister, you always have dust. I'm all about hypo-allergenic.

Even though Consumer Repts may grade harshly (maybe because of price- new one is like 1500$?) MY FAVOrite of all times (and the one I have at my house is this):
A Rainbow. www.rainbowsystem.com. Some people do not like the fact that you have to empty the bottom of the vac occasionally (cuz it's filled with water that the stuff you pick up goes into) and that also makes it heavy, round, larger container but no dust. Rainbows been around forever. A friend found a circa 50s model (little design change except no Hepa filter) for ~$3.00 and it worked great!!! All metal too I might add.
I have an older model from the 1980s-90s passed down from family and still works great.
My country place is -surprise- in the country and SANDY, so the fact I don't have to continually run to town to purchase filters and bags is a plus.
Dumping the container-dumping the water- to me, another plus as no dust.
If I accidentally pick up something that I didn't mean too, I can see it in the see thru water container and fish it out. Again with no dust or digging through a bag with junk in it, another plus to me. Sorry for going on so but I really like the Rainbow. YMMV.

Saint Vitus
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Something I might know more about than On topic bicycles. LOL

Even though Consumer Repts may grade harshly (maybe because of price- new one is like 1500$?) MY FAVOrite of all times (and the one I have at my house is this):
A Rainbow. www.rainbowsystem.com.
Some people do not like the fact that you have to empty the bottom of the vac occasionally (cuz it's filled with water that the stuff you pick up goes into) and that also makes it heavy, round, larger container but no dust. Rainbows been around forever. A friend found a circa 50s model (little design change except no Hepa filter) for ~$3.00 and it worked great!!! All metal too I might add.
I have an older model from the 1980s-90s passed down from family and still works great.
... I really like the Rainbow. YMMV.

Yes, Rainbow, another manly vacuum (as is a Filter Queen lol)!

rugbysecondrow
02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Miele, we have the upright and love it.

We had an expensive Dyson for about 2 weeks, I returned it quickly. It was the most expensive hunk of plastic junk I have ever purchased. Its quality reminded me of a hamster ball. Also, when I went to clean the dirt out of it, the mess it created was astounding.

bewheels
02-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Never thought I would write a comment about a vacum...say nothing of actually reading pages 4 pages about them ...on a bike forum. But I will have to say that the money we paid for a Dyson years ago is some of the best money we spent. We have 4 dogs and a cat. We were going through a vacum every 6 months when buying low priced junk from the big box stores.

The Dyson is well thought out. You can take any/all parts apart that get cloged with out tools and clean things.

Never tried a Miele.

dsimon
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
ON my 3rd Dyson wife with OCD Vacuums twice a day and still going strong. this one last me about 5 years, when I was buying a new vacuum a year just my 2cents

sworcester
02-12-2014, 06:23 PM
We are an Oreck house. Had 2 over the 20 years we could afford a good vacuum. Have awesome warranties (we got 21 years), but in a house with a real long haired wife, 2 short haired cats and a short hair pup, they do need you to cut some hair off the roller every now and again.

Kind of surprised no one mentioned them.

Idris Icabod
02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
If after 4 pages of opinion you're ready to buy, I just got an email that Dyson animal is on sale at Amazon deal of the day today (41% off).