PDA

View Full Version : Be careful trying to match colors on computer screen.

bobswire
02-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Been wanting a Wound -Up fork for a Serotta and saw one on Ebay that looked like a good match. Boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the fork and got a good deal on it because it was painted and came off a Seven.

But looking at it on the screen then getting it in person next to the bike....See below. Like I said I'm very happy with the fork and since I was contemplating new paint for the frame anyway,I'll have them matched.

This is the frame:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2wqwwmb.jpg

This is the fork:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ivicl2.jpg

And this is how they really look together:

http://i58.tinypic.com/9bajph.jpg

Like I said fork rides great ,much improvement over the Kestrel that was on it.

pbarry
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
When it matters, ask how/if the seller adjusted the images, and what their monitor settings are. My screens are calibrated to Adobe RGB. If a seller has a different calibration, all bets are off regarding a color match. The fork looks great! I heart rootbeer.

bikinchris
02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
You need to know if the camera was set to the color of the light at the time of the photo. (White balance) If you shot one part in tungsten light and the other in daylight, you are just plan out of luck.
Even if both parts are shot in the daylight, you need to have both cameras adjusted to the same color space and the white balance needs to be correct. Granted daylight is easy for almost every camera. Even when shooting flash in the camera, the age of the flash and how much it has been used, changes the color of the light coming out subtly, but it's there.
In other words, two pieces shot in different places by two different people? Forget getting the colors right.

People who shoot art and reproduce copies of paintings for the original artists are fanatics.

cekte
02-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes, what Pbarry and Chris said. Unfortunately just too many variables in matching colors via screen. Still will look great though after re-paint!! Or just strip the paint so the raw carbon matches the carbon seat stays.

Keith A
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Hey Bob -- When I saw the picture of your bike and the fork, I thought you found a close match...too bad reality was different. I say that a clear carbon finish would look nicely with the carbon on the back end.

BTW, what's the rake on the Wound Up?

bobswire
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Hey Bob -- When I saw the picture of your bike and the fork, I thought you found a close match...too bad reality was different. I say that a clear carbon finish would look nicely with the carbon on the back end.

BTW, what's the rake on the Wound Up?

Hey keith , I'll ride as is for awhile then send it off to Wanta for paint on the frame and nude fork with clear coat, the rake is 45.

eddief
02-11-2014, 10:23 PM
too much stuff matches in the world. that two tone orange is a quite fine approach to paint. put on some blue bar tape and my mom will turn over in her grave.

sworcester
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Figure that most people don't calibrate their monitors and that even if they did, yours likely wouldn't match theirs . And this is the age we live in. Visual perception vs representation, I know, kinda deep.
But those are pretty off. Looks like the painted the orange over black without going to white first, what I would have done over a deep color if I wanted a match.

MattTuck
02-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Well, atleast your experience provides a lesson to the rest of us. :)

In all seriousness though, this is not an uncommon issue. When I got my bike, it was being painted by Joe Bell (3,000 miles away) and I had several phone calls where we talked about color. How am I to know what his impression of a color is going to be? I did my best to explain it, and he ultimately got the color I was looking for. Still, it is not a trivial matter to make sure the color is what you expect.

biker72
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Figure that most people don't calibrate their monitors and that even if they did, yours likely wouldn't match theirs . And this is the age we live in. Visual perception vs representation, I know, kinda deep.
But those are pretty off. Looks like the painted the orange over black without going to white first, what I would have done over a deep color if I wanted a match.

I have 2 monitors on my work computer. Quite a color shift between them.

bikinchris
02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
I have 2 monitors on my work computer. Quite a color shift between them.

Which brings us to another variable. Calibrating screens is not always possible. The high end screens like the NEC PA302W come with a calibration system:
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa302w

avalonracing
02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Which brings us to another variable. Calibrating screens is not always possible. The high end screens like the NEC PA302W come with a calibration system:
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa302w

And of course everyone sees colors a little differently. Hell the color balance of my right eye is slightly warmer than my left. (My optometrist said that this is common).

cat6
02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I like the looks of it. Happy accident.

Dale Alan
02-13-2014, 04:18 AM
I like the looks of it. Happy accident.
+1
I like it,a little contrast can be a good thing .

bewheels
02-13-2014, 05:33 AM
I spent many years doing high level color reproduction work. As others have alluded to, there is the capture of color (photography for example), the projection of color (a monitor for example), and the reproduction of the captured color (printing, paint matching, etc).

In short...the general public will never have colors be accurate through out the capture -> reproduction cycle for a large variety of reasons.

Personally I agree with cat6's comment of a 'happy accident'.
But that is just my opinion looking at the capture (photo) of the bike/fork projected through my monitor...