PDA

View Full Version : Weighed myself last night...

Louis
02-11-2014, 03:29 PM
First time in a few months, and the damage wasn’t as bad as I expected, but still not great news.

Time to get motivated to start to lose that handful of lbs I put on over the winter. (which still puts me well above where I really need to be)

I need to find a better way to lose weight. Right now the only way I can manage to do it is if I'm riding a lot, which of course isn't happening at this time of year.

fiamme red
02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
I need to find a better way to lose weight.I don't recommend my way: come down with a stomach virus, have almost no appetite for a week, lose 3 lbs. :crap:

1happygirl
02-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Awww.
:hello:YOU CAN DO IT, LOUIS:hello:

I'm the last training person to ask after not riding for a long time even with good weather but….

I have been writing down all the calories I eat plus riding inside and using calorie count on gps so I eat less than I use exercising.

Can you go to spin class and/or lift weights? I'm doing that 3 times a week and weights 3-4 times (I like weight machines).
If in the house, maybe core work?

I feel your pain.:help:

1happygirl
02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
FR:
Sorry you were sick but it seems like that is a faster way than the way I suggested. I would have rather done that myself.

Even not training I know Louis you are in better shape than 95% of people.

Louis
02-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Even not training I know Louis you are in better shape than 95% of people.

Don't I wish! But even then, that might not be setting the bar very high...

rePhil
02-11-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't know how much you want to loose but there is a great thread ATH:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/help-losing-20-lbs-22684.html

cash05458
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
really, the best way to lose is not eat much...sounds silly and of course you have heard this before...but exercise only burns so much...much easier to both exercise and say cut your calories by a third...even half maybe...you lose fast and keep it off if you don't start pounding calories again...I do anyhow...this last year I dropped from 185 to 158 just by tweaking food....and of course tons of riding...and I still eat fine, just less...

slidey
02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Diet: Slash all sugars/fats. Cut down cals to <=2k, depending on your estimate of your physique (for eg: I'm at 1300~1400cals/day).

During ride: Only water

Core: (100 crunches with feet slightly off the ground+150 chair crunches+4 mins of scissor figure-eights)*4

All of the above works for me, with adequate adjustments I don't see why it can't work for anybody.

crownjewelwl
02-11-2014, 04:53 PM
You can get a piece of mesh sewn to your tongue that makes it extremely painful to eat...used by beauty pageant contestants around the world!

Louis
02-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Diet: Slash all sugars/fats. Cut down cals to <=2k, depending on your estimate of your physique (for eg: I'm at 1300~1400cals/day).

Core: (100 crunches with feet slightly off the ground+150 chair crunches+4 mins of scissor figure-eights)*4

I didn't realize it was that easy!

fiamme red
02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
FR:
Sorry you were sick but it seems like that is a faster way than the way I suggested. I would have rather done that myself.

Even not training I know Louis you are in better shape than 95% of people.Personally, I'd rather lose weight voluntarily. :)

My weight is somewhere between that of the two elite athletes facing off in this photo:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/25/article-2476435-18F94C6000000578-543_634x410.jpg

cash05458
02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
there are lots of different ideas on doing a diet...personally I dont like to look at it as a "diet"...just a cut down of the stuff I am shoving into my mouth......personally, I think you need some fat while working out...and some sugars are good...but hell, I don't think it is a secret, just cut food and train...no point in weighing food or grams of whatever...just cut down...it comes off fast if you are riding a good bit, say ten hours a week...I weigh less than I did in high school and am 50...oh yeah, depression helped this year on not eating much so I was lucky there! One thing I have found is that when you stop eating and get over the first few days of hunger, it goes away...your calorie intake seems to even itself up and you don't notice after a bit...that's my 5 cents anyhow...good luck B.

witcombusa
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
First time in a few months, and the damage wasn’t as bad as I expected, but still not great news.

Time to get motivated to start to lose that handful of lbs I put on over the winter. (which still puts me well above where I really need to be)

I need to find a better way to lose weight. Right now the only way I can manage to do it is if I'm riding a lot, which of course isn't happening at this time of year.

Nothing has changed

Eat less, do more

Tandem Rider
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM
2-a-days will do a lot. We all know that more calories are burned during exercise. When we stop the exercise the metabolic rate slides down to basal over a period of time. In other words, two 1 hour workouts spaced 8 or more hours apart will burn more stored fat than a single 2 hour workout in a 24 hour period. These don't have to be leg breaking intervals or even all cycling. An endurance pace is all it takes.

Add in dietary control and you will see success. By dietary control I only mean watch the glycemic index and portions. You still need a balanced diet.

azrider
02-11-2014, 05:58 PM
2-a-days will do a lot. We all know that more calories are burned during exercise. When we stop the exercise the metabolic rate slides down to basal over a period of time. In other words, two 1 hour workouts spaced 8 or more hours apart will burn more stored fat than a single 2 hour workout in a 24 hour period. These don't have to be leg breaking intervals or even all cycling. An endurance pace is all it takes.

hmmmmm...........interesting

MattTuck
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Louis,

I'm down about 8 pounds this year. Doing three things mainly. 1) tracking everything I eat with a website called myfitnesspal.com, and trying to stick to its recommended calorie intake for my goal. 2) tracking my weight through the forum weightless spreadsheet. (PM me if you want the Link) and 3) Trying to put in some hours on the trainer and hours in the gym.

A few tips I've heard about trying to lose weight.

1) When you're eating bad food, eat with your non-dominant hand.
2) Take a picture with your phone of any junk food you eat.
3) Don't eat after 8pm

Good luck!

JasonF
02-11-2014, 06:13 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=339748&postcount=4

Years ago I posted the procedure I used to lose 20lbs of FAT (i.e., I retained lean mass while on a 'diet'). IMHO, nothing new has come down the pike and the above still works. Our family is now gluten-free and not eating refined white flour has really helped things too. Finally, I still highly recommend Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - I regard it as the bible for fat loss.

Good luck, you can do it!!!!

bluto
02-11-2014, 06:22 PM
diet and exercise......same concept that's been around since the beginning.

F150
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
1. Move Laz-y-boy to curb, place "Free" sign on headrest
2. Chain beerfridge in closed position
3. Chase wife around the house. Repeat.

pbarry
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Buy a vintage Alfa Romeo, sight unseen, off an AR discussion group: It will be in marginal condition upon delivery. Push it to the nearest garage whenever it breaks down, [frequently]. You will gain serious core and leg strength from this exercise and lose any fat you have, (as well as learning how to swear in Italian). :hello:

Scooper
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I discovered this weight loss regimen after a 1995 accident which incapacitated my right arm for four months and forced me to eat using my left hand (I'm right-handed).

I quickly lost 20 pounds.

Now, when I notice I've added a few unwanted pounds, I start eating with my left hand (no cheating!) and the extra pounds quickly and magically disappear.

Fixed
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
I am 5'11"and weight was 145 four months of riding most days for a couple hours a day now I weigh 152 ..got my legs starting to come back a little .
Cheers :):)

JAGI410
02-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm also on myfitnesspal, it's been great. Really helps with accountability, and while my diet logging isn't perfect all the time, it has taught me a lot! I use the same user name there.

sales guy
02-11-2014, 09:10 PM
I don't recommend my way: come down with a stomach virus, have almost no appetite for a week, lose 3 lbs. :crap:

You could try my way last year... removal of infected and dying gall bladder and lose 25 pounds.

Louis
02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Buy a vintage Alfa Romeo, sight unseen, off an AR discussion group: It will be in marginal condition upon delivery. Push it to the nearest garage whenever it breaks down, [frequently]. You will gain serious core and leg strength from this exercise and lose any fat you have, (as well as learning how to swear in Italian). :hello:

With advice like this I'm all set. :)

soulspinner
02-12-2014, 05:51 AM

All of the above works for me, with adequate adjustments I don't see why it can't work for anybody.

Lost weight since November with a similar tack. Core work, reduced intake, especially at night with beer munchies:p, and lots of stretching and shoveling. Its working..........

commonguy001
02-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Seems like tracking calories in a smartphone app is an easy way to make sure you're not taking in too many calories without knowing.

Moderate portions, cutting out junk food and beer along with burning 500 calories a day during the week on the trainer always do the trick for me when needed.

Mr. Pink
02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
No beer.

Which hurts a lot.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2014, 09:02 AM
there are lots of different ideas on doing a diet...personally I dont like to look at it as a "diet"...just a cut down of the stuff I am shoving into my mouth......personally, I think you need some fat while working out...and some sugars are good...but hell, I don't think it is a secret, just cut food and train...no point in weighing food or grams of whatever...just cut down...it comes off fast if you are riding a good bit, say ten hours a week...I weigh less than I did in high school and am 50...oh yeah, depression helped this year on not eating much so I was lucky there! One thing I have found is that when you stop eating and get over the first few days of hunger, it goes away...your calorie intake seems to even itself up and you don't notice after a bit...that's my 5 cents anyhow...good luck B.

E B E L D L R L

Eat Better, Eat Less, Drink Less, Ride Lots...need clearer streets...maybe today??

roguedog
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Is that how you got your handle?? ;)

I discovered this weight loss regimen after a 1995 accident which incapacitated my right arm for four months and forced me to eat using my left hand (I'm right-handed).

I quickly lost 20 pounds.

Now, when I notice I've added a few unwanted pounds, I start eating with my left hand (no cheating!) and the extra pounds quickly and magically disappear.

redir
02-12-2014, 09:11 AM

I hear ya. Been lazy this year and drink way too many empty calories! I'm gonna pull out the scale tonight. I expect to be 15lbs over what I was last year :(

But on the bright side the days are getting longer though we are expecting a foot of snow today.

malcolm
02-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Louis,

I'm down about 8 pounds this year. Doing three things mainly. 1) tracking everything I eat with a website called myfitnesspal.com, and trying to stick to its recommended calorie intake for my goal. 2) tracking my weight through the forum weightless spreadsheet. (PM me if you want the Link) and 3) Trying to put in some hours on the trainer and hours in the gym.

A few tips I've heard about trying to lose weight.

1) When you're eating bad food, eat with your non-dominant hand.
2) Take a picture with your phone of any junk food you eat.
3) Don't eat after 8pm

Good luck!

Hey Matt, all sound advice the non dominant hand thing is interesting. When I was power lifting many many many years ago and needed not to gain weight I would eat everything dry (no sauces, gravies or anything to make your food wet) also I didn't drink while eating only once done I had finished. Those things supposedly lead to eating less/full earlier.

One thing I'll challenge is the don't eat after 8pm. I've seen some pretty good but not extensive studies that suggest a modest portion of good protein 30 min to 1 hour before sleep is helpful in shedding fat/improving lean mass ratio and also helps you sleep better. The one I remember was a serving of whey protein powder in water.

malbecman
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Try to eat more nutrient dense, calorie poor foods, eg, salads, soup. They'll fill you up and keep you full for longer. A whole head of romaine lettuce only has 106 calories and when you eat a salad that big (with appropriate savory bits), you'll feel satiated.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2475/2

Most "bad" foods are the opposite, eg, calorie rich, nutrient poor.

For me, I need to both exercise more (aerobically) and eat less to really lose weight. Lifting weights just makes me bulk up and/or retain weight.

stien
02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Herbalife + lots of running for me has been wonderful this winter. I've lost a lot of weight I didn't know I had to lose. Almost at race weight.

malcolm
02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Try to eat more nutrient dense, calorie poor foods, eg, salads, soup. They'll fill you up and keep you full for longer. A whole head of romaine lettuce only has 106 calories and when you eat a salad that big (with appropriate savory bits), you'll feel satiated.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2475/2

Most "bad" foods are the opposite, eg, calorie rich, nutrient poor.

For me, I need to both exercise more (aerobically) and eat less to really lose weight. Lifting weights just makes me bulk up and/or retain weight.

Try lifting supersets as intervals or circuits it can be aerobic as you want.