PDA

View Full Version : On T: Which Animal is your Favorite, Yak or Ibex?

1happygirl
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
So, please help Me Decide. I am looking at trailers since I am back riding and want to get into touring (eventual bucket list item, ride cross country).
I have narrowed it down to these two Bob trailer models. I really want to protect the integrity of items I carry.
Question for people who have used these these or any trailer,
Does the shock really make a difference?
The Ibex has a shock and is about 3-4 pounds more and more expensive( ~ $100-150) while the Yak model does not have a shock.

I have searched crazy guy dot com and other places without any helpful info (to me).

Since I value the forum info more than the others anyway -Skool me on trailers!
PS I also want to use a front rack with panniers along with the trailer.
Thanks.

cachagua
02-10-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't think you can make rancid butter from ibex milk, can you? To flavor tea with?

The yak-butter tea of the Himalayas is legendary.

On the other hand -- dude has got him some headgear, doesn't he.

Tough choice!

pinkshogun
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
my buddy used a BOB on a couple of flat tours so i cant speak what they're like screaming down a mountain but in general he liked the way it handled

1happygirl
02-10-2014, 03:56 PM
my buddy used a BOB on a couple of flat tours so i cant speak what they're like screaming down a mountain but in general he liked the way it handled

Hey Thanks.
My real problem is whether the shock is really worth the weight and the price difference.
I have heard about the downhill, mountain ride problems but as careful (strike that) SLOW as I am that won't be a problem that will bother me and the benefits outweigh the small handling issue for me.

My understanding (never having used a trailer before) is that it really helps the bike drive less like a tank, like it does with panniers. Plus, I'm so petite that rear panniers are a heel snagger as when my new panniers with groceries ended up coming off in the middle of an intersection!!!!
I really want to get up n' go in the mornings and not worry as much about having to pack carefully and deal with the weight /balance issue of the rear panniers.
But then again, I may be overanalyzing and not know anything I'm talking about .

MarleyMon
02-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a yak and its fine. I'd only consider the shock if going off road.
I thought panniers killed the ride on my CAAD5 so I got the trailer. A bike built for loaded touring would be a different story.

fungusamungus33
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
i've done a 1700+ mile tour with a BOB. They handle great at speed and even cobbles couldn't hurt my gear… Camping stove and gear is pretty durable though… The shock would be overkill on a regular road tour.

metalheart
02-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I have been chased by a couple of Yaks in Nepal .... not nearly as nasty as the Bhote Kukur (mastiffs) that guard the villages at night. And then there is the tea with Yak butter ....... I never got used to it and always had to drink it to be polite. One of the great gag experiences in life.

martl
02-11-2014, 02:37 AM
I have been chased by a couple of Yaks in Nepal .... not nearly as nasty as the Bhote Kukur (mastiffs) that guard the villages at night. And then there is the tea with Yak butter ....... I never got used to it and always had to drink it to be polite. One of the great gag experiences in life.

I experienced the flavour of butter tea from downright horrid, served from a thermos flask in some Ladakhi monastery, to delicious -the stuff the yak men created for own use after a very long cold day hiking in Bhutan, so... :)

And there are few things that wake you up just like a half wild 1800lbs yak - not the domesticated Dzos they usually use on tourist treks - being herded through the campsite at 5:30 in the morning, strong coffee isn't even close :D

bewheels
02-11-2014, 06:11 AM
I know you are looking for information about the model with a shock but...I have a lot of experience with the basic BOB trailer (non-shock) with a lot of weight -> little weight and on smooth roads -> very rough roads.
Several times I pulled three containers of 5 gallons of water each. Nothing like sloshing water to challenge your handling skills.

- Never had any issues with things breaking inside the trailer
- Like anything on a bike, strapping things down and/or snuggly packing things help protect your things. Otherwise they can rattle around. Besides being very announcing, it is the sounds of things breaking slowly.
- I have experienced significant isolation / whipping occurring at speed with the trailers. The more weight, the worst this can be. While you think all you have to do is slow down, this is not so easy with a weighted object behind you pushing. This is why larger truck trailers have their own set of brakes.
- If you are riding hills and mountains and are looking to 'go slow' down hills (you won't have to worry about going slow up hills) keep an eye on your brakes. You will want to carry extra brake pads you that you don't get into a situation that you need them in the middle of nowhere.
- I also rode across the country with panniers. While I personally liked that better it sounds like that is not an option for you.

With all that said - the BOB trailer is well designed. Never had an issue with its quality. Once you realize its limitations it is a great thing. If I ever did an off road adventure out west I think it would be my first choice.

weisan
02-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Neither. This:
http://www.greglasley.net/images/W/White-Rhinoceros-0026.jpg

1happygirl
02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Hahaha Guys (Weisan-pal you jokester).
I learned a lot about tea (yuck)

Ok so still undecided, I was hoping to have an affirmation of my leaning toward the Ibex but seem like we have a vote for overkill with that option but $350-450 is a lot for me to then go back and decide I wanna get the Ibex after the Yak.

Thanks for y'alls time.