PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a bike to Germany

vav
02-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Hello forum;

I got an offer for a frameset from german buyer. Paypal verified and excellent feedback, everything as far as I can tell looks legit and straightforward. We are working out some details about shipping and funds. Couple of questions;

Have anyone here shipped a frameset/bike to Germany?

What/Who shipping services/company did you use?

Any issues that I should foresee that I am skipping or anything I should be aware of?

TIA
Vincent

eddief
02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
putting an ad in our classifieds. That buyer had done it other times before. And if I remember correctly, he preferred using the Post Office. That one worked out fine for both of us.

accident
02-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I've heard the post office is the way to go, it's the cheaper way to go and make sure you have it sent registered or international express

pdmtong
02-10-2014, 04:46 PM
http://www.bikeflights.com/bicycle_shipping.aspx

jambee
02-11-2014, 06:36 AM
The biggest problem is the customs and not so much the shipping agency. Customs will charge 19% on the cost of the bike plus some 4.25% (I believe) for god knows what.
So when you're shipping to Germany you should put a realistic price on it.

You can also have someone carry it (I do this often). Who is the forum-member recipient in Germany?

vav
02-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies so far gents. USPS quoted me around $ 90 express mail (under 108) with "real tracking" The buyer found it reasonable. Don't know if he knows about the other charges though.

martl
02-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I am from germany and had a few bikes shipped to me from the US.

For shipment rates, it may be way cheaper to send two separate boxes (1 with the frame, 1 with wheels and parts) as the rates go dramatically up once the box exceeds a certain size.

The buyer needs to be aware that he is due to pay VAT and customs. VAT is 19%, and customs fees are +5% for bike parts, but complete bicycles are 15%. So another good reason for sending out two parcels, maybe with a few days in between.

The buyer needs to present an invoice which shows how much he has paid. They accept Ebay printouts and, for me, accepted the printout of the mails where we had negotiated the price.

If the customs officer deems the price to be unresonably low, he has the right to estimate the value. They will browse Ebay or similar if in doubt.

vav
02-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks Martl, only a frameset. F/F/HS

jh_on_the_cape
02-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I shipped my bike to Italy. US postal was basically the only way. There was a max box size so I had to split it into two boxes. There were taxes on the other end, even for a used bike. I was shipping to myself, but I have heard stories of a buyer refusing the shipment because the customs fee was so high, so had it returned and demanded a refund through paypal.

Just make sure the buyer has agreed to all taxes, etc. It was stupid expensive and in retrospect is only worth it on a screaming deal, or on something hard to find or vintage.

Germany_chris
02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
If you can stay under 108 USPS, if it needs to go over DHL.

Gsinill
02-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I would really avoid any carrier that acts as a broker for customs like UPS or FedEx (can't speak to DHL).
I had 2 instances where the value was declared wrong and UPS and FedEx paid the custom dues upfront based on this value. The recipient is on the hook to reimburse the carrier and there is literally no way to recover those $$.
UPS shipments are delivered in Germany by their post office which will send the package to customs where the recipient can pick it up and pay customs directly. This allows you to point out any errors and have customs correct them.

Just my 2 cents...

Germany_chris
02-11-2014, 11:54 AM
as far I know everything will hit the zollamt and will have to be picked up there.

jambee
02-12-2014, 04:59 AM
@germany_chris In Berlin the Zollamt are actually really reasonable. I recently had a potentially disastrous experience with my new Seven, which the Zoll (customs for all you folks) was kind enough to just invoice me, try to reduce the invoice value, and send me on my way with a smile.

Also - if you're in Berlin PM me. We should ride.