PDA

View Full Version : eBay "Dutch Auction" . . . how to win???

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2006, 08:19 PM
I know that sounds like a stupid question, but this one was for a bunch of jerseys of DIFFERENT SIZES.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7214150667&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

For future reference, can anyone explain to me how to bid on such an auction so as to be at the top of the winners list? I thought maximum bid amount trumped all other factors, but obviously I was wrong. The seller answered several bidder's questions as if that were true, but now it appears he may not know either. The info page on eBay is about as clear as mud. Now I just may be stuck with a jersey large enough to use as an emergency shelter. :rolleyes:

Here's the bidder's list . . .

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=7214150667

Is ranking based on maximum bids, which I don't see on the bidder's list page? Did all the buyers above me make maximum bids higher than mine? Or is it based on who bids first?

I'm totally confused. worse yet, I'm ADMITTING it! :eek:

Oh, well, it was only ten bucks.

BBD

Bruce K
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
so what size DID you get? :D

BK

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't know!

I am assuming that the guy at the top of the winner's list gets first pick, and so on. I may actually end up getting the size I want if a lot of other guys the size of William are above me in the winner's list and they grab the larger sizes. But that is FAR from certain! I just have to wait till the seller sorts it all out--he says for everyone to send him an e-mail with their first three choices for size and he'll sort it out according to the winner's list.

What I'm trying to find out is for future reference, how to approach a bid of this type so as to end up at the top (or near the top) of the bidder's list.

The bidder's list only shows names and all the winning bids are the same--$10--because that was the lowest winning bid. But does that mean everyone above me bid only ten bucks but got above me because they bid earlier or for larger quantities? Or does it mean they bid higher than my $12 bid, but I don't see their "true" bid, only the lowest winning bid they ended up paying?

If I end up getting the sizes I want for the jersey and shorts, then it ends up being a heck of a deal--jersey and shorts for about $25. But if I DON'T get the sizes I want and end up with XXL jersey and XXXL shorts, then I guess I chalk it up to experience--cheap at $25. Then I try to resell them--maybe here on the forum--or see if Smiley wants to use them for sails on his boat!

BBDave

Bill Bove
01-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Ya wanna be at the top of the list? BID HIGHER!!!!! Ten bucks Dave? Get the frickin fish hooks out of your pockets fer crying out loud. O.K. end of rant. I still love ya Bumble-issimo.

neverraced
01-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Dutch auctions are usually for identical items. Using them for a variety of different jerseys makes little sense to me. Either sell them individually or sell as a lot and let another seller do the work.

Does anyone remember reading (on the printed page) a rant against the Dutch, citing how perjorative the adjective is? Dutch treat, Dutch Uncle, etc.

Just trying to keep the stereotypes alive.

William
01-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Now I just may be stuck with a jersey large enough to use as an emergency shelter. :rolleyes:

BBD

I've been known to be used as an emergency shelter. What you got Big Guy (figuratively speaking of course ;) ).

William

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2006, 06:40 AM
. . . even when you rant for no good reason, Sweetie! :rolleyes: :beer: :banana: ;)

I could have bid a HUNDRED bucks, Bill, but in a Dutch auction you only end up paying the same as the lowest winning bidder. In this case, that was someone ELSE'S bid for ten bucks.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether a hundred dollar bid would have moved me to the top of the winners list.

BBD

William
01-31-2006, 06:47 AM
. . . even when you rant for no good reason, Sweetie! :rolleyes: :beer: :banana: ;)

BBD

Hey, I'm just a Bill.

William ;)

PS: I'm still only a Bill

PSS: And I got as far as Capitol hil....ok I'll stop. :D