PDA

View Full Version : KTM making bikes (not the motored kind)

William
02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Very interesting.....:cool:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.238228103005891.1073741865.193414864153882&type=1

Making CF bikes in Austria.

William

ultraman6970
02-09-2014, 04:34 PM
They had been making bike for a while, not that is something that came up a few months ago.

William
02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
They had been making bike for a while, not that is something that came up a few months ago.

Understood, just not something that had come up on my radar.

William

sales guy
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
They have been making bikes for years. But really got tons of attention last four years ish. Especially mountain bikes. Not bad stuff. Saw them in Italy.

Walter
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
http://www.shop.flidistribution.co.uk/

William
02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Quite the nice production facility they have there.

William

slidey
02-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Is that a KTM crankset? Definitely not Shimano (like the RD).

Very interesting.....:cool:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.238228103005891.1073741865.193414864153882&type=1

Making CF bikes in Austria.

William

4Rings6Stars
02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Looks a lot like Shimano to me.

William
02-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Indeed, frame testing in 1964!

William
02-10-2014, 06:50 AM
I do dig the Orange and Black jersey!:cool:

William

Kirk Pacenti
02-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Quite the nice production facility they have there.

William

Agreed. Though, I think "assembly facility" might be more accurate. I could be wrong, but I didn't see any evidence of manufacturing there.

Their MTBs look really good, and that road bike you posted has some nice lines.

Cheers,
KP

oldpotatoe
02-10-2014, 07:33 AM
For a minute there I thought it had a threaded BB and symmetrical headtube...wow, thank goodness eddy mertz, it has a PFBB30 BB and tapered fork..........

-sarcasm intended.

William
02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Agreed. Though, I think "assembly facility" might be more accurate. I could be wrong, but I didn't see any evidence of manufacturing there.

Cheers,
KP

Except for what appeared to be a 3D-printed frame, I think you are correct in what the photo stream showed (or didn't show). I found the link to that photo album in a FB post by KTM (in response to claims that the CF road bike above was probably a Chinese open mold sourced frame) claiming that their bikes were made in-house and not Chinese sourced.

To your point, that bike does have nice lines though.

William

sales guy
02-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Cheers,
KP

They actually have a prototyping area for metal and carbon. And as shown a 3d printer. So they do tons of manufacturing there. Not shown for some reason. But they may have not wanted it shown. Since they make their motos there they certainly have the skilled people for metal. Carbon is testing and protos and primarily asian made to their specs/molds. So it isn't just off the shelf umpteen used frame shapes.

William
02-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Honestly, when I came across that photo above, I thought it was just another Car/motorcycle manufacture putting their vinyl logos on a bike. I'm happy to discover they've been in the biz for quite a while. Funny, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of it....or maybe I've just been hit in the head too many times.:roll eyes:

http://www.ktm4u.co.uk/images/ww/newproducts/ktm%20cycles/strada6000carbonwhiteCopy.jpg

http://www.leftfieldbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/ktm_revelator_prime.jpg

http://www.ktmtour.com/content_images/KTM_Racing_Bike.gif

http://www.spoke.ie/wp-content/uploads/revelatorprestige_57_carbon_teamor-compressed2.jpg

And too many Mtb models for me to post so I'll post up one for example...

sales guy
02-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Honestly, when I came across that photo above, I thought it was just another Car/motorcycle manufacture putting their vinyl logos on a bike. I'm happy to discover they've been in the biz for quite a while. Funny, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of it....or maybe I've just been hit in the head too many times.:roll eyes:

And too many Mtb models for me to post so I'll post up one for example...

The issue is they have always been known as a Moto company. But over in Europe, Austria, Germany, Italy, Swiss- they have a following on bikes. I saw them when I was over there last time. Their company sponsors a pretty strong road and mountain team. The frames are really nicely made. Ride nice too. Didn't get to ride for long but it felt good for the couple miles I zipped around on them.

BUT, USA brands a re still sought after over there. I was passing a group of guys out riding one day on the way to see the Androni giocattoli team and of the 7 guys riding, there were 3 S bikes, 2 trek bikes, one Cdale and one pina. It was crazy to see. And the shops are the same with wanting US stuff. Not sure why but oh well.

But I was told by some Italians that an Italian buying a Ferrari is like an American buying a Chevy. It's like a whatever. They would rather have German. Benz, Audi, BMW.

At least the OP photo had nice shoes on!

bking
02-10-2014, 09:12 AM
I first saw their stuff about 3 or 4 years ago.

I raced KTM dirt bikes back when John Penton imported them into the US, and rebranded them as Pentons. I picked up the first KTM branded bike shipped into California and raced in Arizona back in the mid 70's. I've still ride them (don't race, i'm really into keeping bike right side up now a days) as they make some of the best finished bikes around.

All that said, i really feel guilty that i haven't thrown a leg over one of these. I haven't purchased a plastic bike in some time. But after looking at these, maybe it's about time.

thanks for posting the pics.

Elefantino
02-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Is it just me or does that rider have some seriously BIG feet?

sales guy
02-10-2014, 10:01 AM
They look like 11's or 12's. Nothing overly huge. I think it's the photo and the coloring in it. The bike looks like a 58ish. And the crank is a compact. That'll mess up the picture too.

William
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
The issue is they have always been known as a Moto company. But over in Europe, Austria, Germany, Italy, Swiss- they have a following on bikes. I saw them when I was over there last time. Their company sponsors a pretty strong road and mountain team. The frames are really nicely made. Ride nice too. Didn't get to ride for long but it felt good for the couple miles I zipped around on them.

BUT, USA brands a re still sought after over there. I was passing a group of guys out riding one day on the way to see the Androni giocattoli team and of the 7 guys riding, there were 3 S bikes, 2 trek bikes, one Cdale and one pina. It was crazy to see. And the shops are the same with wanting US stuff. Not sure why but oh well.

But I was told by some Italians that an Italian buying a Ferrari is like an American buying a Chevy. It's like a whatever. They would rather have German. Benz, Audi, BMW.

A little more cache getting something "foreign" I guess. Obviously doesn't mean home grown isn't good.;)

William

sales guy
02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
A little more cache getting something "foreign" I guess. Obviously doesn't mean home grown isn't good.;)

William

Oh I agree. I own and have owned American made cars. Bought our first honda a bit over a year ago tho.

As for Ferrari, drove one when I was there. Funny story, a disgraced former pro cyclist we sponsored was riding around town and we saw him at the museo parking lot while I was there. Not sure if he still owes the company or not. But that Ferrari was an awesome ride. This is the one I drove.