PDA

View Full Version : Direct mount trainer, who has one, which model and what do you think?

sales guy
02-09-2014, 03:54 AM
I'm playing with the idea of a LeMond trainer. But Elite has one and so does Cyclops now. Which by the way, LeMond needs to do something about a patent, cause he's losing dough,
Anyways, what do you guys have and why? I'm not sure which to get. But I do want a direct mount. Don't like killing wheels and tires.

So which and why or which would you get?

kramnnim
02-09-2014, 08:05 AM
What about a Kickr? They sound impressive. Er, the reviews, not the actual noises.

572cv
02-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I have an older LeMond revolution. I liked the concept when I got it, and still do. It works perfectly. I have the luxury of having a trainer setup in an old greenhouse, so the fan noise, which is considerable, is not an issue. I use an old set of over the ear headphones and watch great race video on youtube, etc. My retina screen does a pretty nice job of distracting me from the stationary ride!

The trainer works as advertised. The new wahoo whatever sounds like a step up, but also a step up in price. Same idea, more contemporary execution. But in sum, one "like " for the old Lemond.

sales guy
02-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Part of my issue is I want to get a ride in in the morning while everyone sleeps. So I need quiet. Granted there will be a floor of the house between the basement and the second to muffle the noise, but I would still prefer it quietER.

AngryScientist
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Don't like killing wheels and tires.

is this a really a practical concern? i've got so many gobs and gobs of hours on my trainer over the last several years on the same old gatorskin tire. it's probably not suitable for the road anymore, but its been fine on the trainer. the wheel is none the worse for the wear either.

wanting a new-fangled trainer is one thing, and nothing wrong with that at all, but claiming that you're "killing" wheels and tires on a trainer - i'm just not buying that.

AngryScientist
02-09-2014, 11:01 AM
by the way, that comment above may have come across as snarky, not my intention at all, just some food for thought.

yakstone
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
wanting a new-fangled trainer is one thing, and nothing wrong with that at all, but claiming that you're "killing" wheels and tires on a trainer - i'm just not buying that.

I thought the same thing.

Peter P.
02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
If you need quiet, stay away from a wind trainer such as the LeMond Revolution or the Kickr. If noise was an issue for me, I'd buy neither.

Your money would be better spent preventing the noise from disturbing others.

If you can detail your current noise problem, we can provide suggestions.

kramnnim
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Kickr isn't that loud, is it? DCR talks about it in his review... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitness-trainer-review.html

sales guy
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm unhappy with the amount of flex, wear and tear on wheel mounted trainers. Also, I've had issues in the past with bearings on wheel mounted trainers die sooner than later.

Also, I hate the damage that can happen to your frame/dropouts due to the clamps.

I'm 6'3 and 240 right now. So I'm a biggerish guy. And standard trainers have just never felt solid.

In the past I've gone thru at least two tires a winter when on a trainer. And I've also had one rear wheel blow up. One of the few wheels I did not build myself. I had a couple spokes break and just would rather avoid any issues with tires and wheels.

Sounds stupid and like I'm going to waste money or whatever but I'm actually planning on doing quite a bit of riding over the next couple months and then over the summer. I have paid for a bunch of races-road, mtn and a couple tris. So I really want to use the trainer and get back into shape.

Having two little ones and a very unsupportive wife just kills everything in you/me. So I'm hoping this will help me out. No, I don't have SAD. But I could easily given our weather and the wide thrown in.

572cv
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Agree with Peter P, if you can't isolate a wind trainer, you won't be happy. If you have to have an indoor trainer, rollers are pretty quiet, if you set them up on a rubber mat. I use the 3/4" thick black recycled rubber mats they sell for horse trailers. They come roughly 4'x6' for about thirty or forty bucks. They are heavy, won't move, are indestructible and quiet everything down. On my old rollers on this set up, I can listen to the laptop on its speakers not even at full volume.

sales guy
02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I have room in the basement to use whatever. Just want quiet as the wife is pretty pissy lately, well, all the time. And I am planning on doing this when I get up at 4am. This and the treadmill. So I can do a brick and get something in. That way I don't have to listen to the wife bitch when I say I want to go ride. Which she does every single time.

I don't mind rollers, just don't want a set again. I used to have an original kreitler set up! killer headwind and all. Would just rather get a direct mount. Hell, might make the wife or 12 yr old ride. Who knows. Doubtful, but never know.

metalheart
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
A friend recently acquired a Kickr and I rode it a bit. It has a higher pitched whine, but I would not call it LOUD. It is a nice setup.

T.J.
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
I have room in the basement to use whatever. Just want quiet as the wife is pretty pissy lately, well, all the time....... That way I don't have to listen to the wife bitch when I say I want to go ride. Which she does every single time.

Dude, I do t know you from Adam but I have seen this from you in a couple of threads. I really hope you can work this out

sales guy
02-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Dude, I do t know you from Adam but I have seen this from you in a couple of threads. I really hope you can work this out

It'll never work out. Which is why I sleep downstairs and her up. It's a Massively long story which ends in us having three kids instead of two(which I only wanted two). Yet, she is grumpy when the baby wakes her up and doesn't sleep well. That's a short bit of it. But like I said, unless we sell a kid or something, the trust is pretty broken. She thinks things are whatever and I'm blowing it out of proportion and ignores the issue. I on the other hand can't forget it and can't move past it.
She's actually said I should talk to someone. I have and they've said "wow, you're screwed!" OH!!! And she says I need to get on some happy pills. Which won't fix the issue.

Like I said, just a bit of the stuff. And no, you can't make this ····· up.

2LeftCleats
02-09-2014, 09:15 PM
None of my business either but I'll chime in too. You got blindsided by a third kid. Screwed up your plans and sounds like she deceived you. (Might be interesting to hear her take.) I was pleased to have 2 healthy boys and be done with diapers. The day prior to my vasectomy I was informed of my daughter's pending birth. My lack of enthusiasm did not make me the most welcome male in the house. Once I got over myself, it was great. 22 years later she's turned out to be quite a cyclist.

sales guy
02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
None of my business either but I'll chime in too. You got blindsided by a third kid. Screwed up your plans and sounds like she deceived you. (Might be interesting to hear her take.) I was pleased to have 2 healthy boys and be done with diapers. The day prior to my vasectomy I was informed of my daughter's pending birth. My lack of enthusiasm did not make me the most welcome male in the house. Once I got over myself, it was great. 22 years later she's turned out to be quite a cyclist.

It wasn't quite so blindsided(if I wanted another and just unplanned) so much as I told her I didn't want more than two, and she told me after the third came that she planned on tricking me into the third! Amazing piece of work, huh?

Her answer is I just need to get over it, talk to someone, do something and take happy pills. Which he idea of doing something is play with and watch the kids. VS my idea of going riding to relax and destress.

So yeah....

kramnnim
02-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Ugh. Well, I hope you're able to find a suitable trainer and/or can get out to ride. If talking/typing/venting about stuff helps, I'm sure there are many Paceline ears open.

sales guy
02-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Ugh. Well, I hope you're able to find a suitable trainer and/or can get out to ride. If talking/typing/venting about stuff helps, I'm sure there are many Paceline ears open.

Honestly, I wish it did help. Unfortunately it's like pulling the scab off and just drives me more nuts over the whole stupid thing.

But thanks and sorry to bring everyone down.

:)

T.J.
02-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Honestly, I wish it did help. Unfortunately it's like pulling the scab off and just drives me more nuts over the whole stupid thing.

But thanks and sorry to bring everyone down.

:)

You are not bringing anyone down so to speak but it is obviously eating at you bad. For you own mental health/stress level, talk to someone equipped to help you deal

sales guy
02-10-2014, 08:25 AM
You are not bringing anyone down so to speak but it is obviously eating at you bad. For you own mental health/stress level, talk to someone equipped to help you deal

I have. More than one person. Funny thing is two of the three including our priest said the exact same words, Wow, you're screwed! Damnedest thing. I had to laugh when the priest said it.

LesMiner
02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I had exactly the opposite problem. I have 2 sons and after 10 years my wife discovers she is pregnant. I had great respect for her Gynecologist and she really liked the guy. Because of age and a bad knee and some physical limitations the Gynecologist recommends an abortion. I am shocked! I was ready to accept another child besides what if it is a girl this time? The Gynecologist gave me his reasoning and then reminded me that I have no legal say in the matter. In my state women can have an abortion without the father's or husband's consent. So what to do? Destroy the marriage jeopardize the well being of my 2 sons? Or roll with it inspite the abhorrence to abortion? My choice was the marriage and the two sons were more important to me so begrudgingly I accepted it. I also kept it to myself to preserve the well being of my 2 sons. It is still there in the back of my mind.

Fast forward 10 years and my wife develops breast cancer at 47. It was very aggressive but she survives to this day. Life is all about choices and consequences. What may be true today may totally change tomorrow.

mvrider
02-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Back to the original question...

I bought a LeMond Revolution (10s model) because it was cheap (on Chainlove) compared to the other options, and because I needed a trainer to recuperate from my broken clavicle. The feel is nice, but is loud. Good thing we have a basement to put it in. Noise-isolating earbuds are essential.

Once I get authorization to ride on the road (perhaps in 2 weeks), the LeMond will be up for sale. I never liked indoor riding, and still don't. Besides the boredom, my butt hurts more! Good thing I live in a place where I can ride 11-12 months a year (drought permitting).

sales guy
02-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Back to the original question...

I bought a LeMond Revolution (10s model) because it was cheap (on Chainlove) compared to the other options, and because I needed a trainer to recuperate from my broken clavicle. The feel is nice, but is loud. Good thing we have a basement to put it in. Noise-isolating earbuds are essential.

Once I get authorization to ride on the road (perhaps in 2 weeks), the LeMond will be up for sale. I never liked indoor riding, and still don't. Besides the boredom, my butt hurts more! Good thing I live in a place where I can ride 11-12 months a year (drought permitting).

Ha ha. You weren't a fan of the exit we took? Lol.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure on what I want now. I've ruled out the LeMond one though. Thinking the Elite Muin or the Wahoo after reading Charles review.

Veloo
02-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Here's a previous thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138213

dgaddis1
02-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Ha ha. You weren't a fan of the exit we took? Lol.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure on what I want now. I've ruled out the LeMond one though. Thinking the Elite Muin or the Wahoo after reading Charles review.

I've got a Muin on its way to review, will post back some thoughts. This will be my first time really using a trainer...

Sorry about the at home situation. :eek: Hope you can get it worked out.

tmf
02-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm not able to give a review of a direct mount trainer, but here are a few related thoughts.

First, some of the things you've mentioned about your wife sound a lot like my ex-wife. My ex-wife was a runner, so was actually fairly supportive in my riding, but there were definitely limits. From the things you've shared, I can relate and I know it's really difficult. Having time to ride/exercise did a lot to help my sanity. In the end (about 7 years ago), she chose to leave me and our 3 kids.

I got remarried about 2.5 years ago, and have now added 3 stepsons (yes - 6 kids now!). My wife is not very athletic, but is moderately supportive of my riding time. We put a high priority on eating dinner together, and the kids are all very active in sports and activities, so the reality is I fit my rides in when I can.

During the months when it isn't so freezing and there isn't ice on the roads, I get up around 3:45a and ride from 4:00-5:45. I have good lights on my bike, and I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are a few good loops of roads with almost no traffic that time of the day. I've found it's a great way to start the day, and I notice it when I don't get a ride in. On the weekends, I usually leave closer to 5am, and ride as long as I want. To make those early mornings work, I'm asleep between 9:30-10:00p. Our kids are in bed by 9pm, and my wife rarely wants to stay up past 10p - so it works for us.

When I'm not riding outdoors, I have a pretty decent setup in my basement. I have one bike on a trainer (CycleOps fluid), an elliptical trainer (I don't really like it, but it's easy on the knees and a good workout), and a treadmill. My typical workout is about 30-50 minutes on the bike/trainer, 15-20 minutes on the elliptical and 20-40 minutes on the treadmill (walking/running), then a 15 minute warm down easy on the bike/trainer. I vary the duration and intensity on each one day-to-day. I also got a few workout DVDs that I work in the rotation as well. I like the "Biggest Loser" workouts because they are fairly simple and have different durations as needed.

I just got a new mountain bike, and as soon as the trails are visible again I'm going to start getting some time in on the dirt, also.

I feel for you on the personal side of things, and my available workout time is pretty similar to yours, so I thought I'd share what I've worked out.

sales guy
02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
So I've gotten some good advice and checked things out. BUT, I think I'm going to get the a Elite Muin trainer. It is iPad/computer compatible AND the biggest plus.....I can get it at cost.

I called Wahoo and for whatever reason, they won't sell it to me unless it's at retail!

Their reason, we have run out and have high demand for the trainer.

And I wasn't asking for an EP or anything. Just the wholesale which is a courtesy given we are in the bike world. She never even entertained the idea. It's not out of the ordinary for an industry person to call up and ask the same of us. So I was pretty surprised they wouldn't do anything but retail. I was kind of surprised and she was a titch rude about things but she did say she was stuck at home due to the storm.

But I'm going to order the Elite on Monday and I will take pictures and post on it. It's supposed to use fluid drive and be super quiet. I will find out soon enough. And I'm getting all the electrics for it so I can hook it up to whatever. Should be fun.