PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sharing details on an enthusiast forum & on the Web in general

Louis
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Link to Alfa forum Classifieds posting (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/268898-1987-alfa-romeo-spider-veloce-red-drives.html)

As I mentioned the other day, I'm thinking of getting an Alfa. As I was checking the Classifieds on Alfabb.com I came across the posting linked to above. (If you're interested, be sure you read down to at least post #15.) The listing initially caught my eye because I used to have a red '87 Spider that was very similar to the one in the ad, but as you read the posts you get more and more information about the seller, and eventually you have to think "wow!"

For some reason I can't imagine anyone posting something like that either on this forum or across the hall. Maybe it's because we're a smaller community, so maybe there's just less diversity. Either way - talk about sharing intimate details... (assuming it isn't all a con, but it didn't seem to be one).

nighthawk
02-08-2014, 08:01 PM
That IS some wild stuff.

For the record, a search of the paceline forum for "breast implant" only brings up one thread (which was interestingly posted 4 days before Christmas):

forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37697 (forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37697)

Bunch of wingnuts on here. :)

fiataccompli
02-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Italian cars...i know your pain

clyde the point
02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
An effin' mess all around, the car, the owner. Buy something that is sorted out and avoid the delusion that you can "make" this car nice. Ugg. Me thinks this will cause your next post to be discussing your PTSD Alfa-style...

Louis
02-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Buy something that is sorted out and avoid the delusion that you can "make" this car nice.

+1

There are quite a few threads on the forum that start with a picture and the OP says something like "there's a rust bubble on a body panel right here -> I'm going to cut it out and fix it myself." Then, 12 months and 10 pages later, you're looking at pictures of a body that's been completely stripped down to bare metal, interior gutted, and tons of new sheet-metal welded in.

Sometimes there's a happy ending, but other times not.

dmurphey
02-09-2014, 10:23 PM
There are a good number of old Alfa's in Texas. There is a regular group of enthusiasts in the Austin area. My good friend and companion riding bikes frequently is an Alfa mechanic, Jim Sikking in San Antonio.

doomridesout
02-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Did anybody read down the thread? I think the OP was referring to the revelation later on that the owner is a transgendered woman. Revealing which is a very bold thing to do on traditionally testosterone-heavy enthusiast forums.

tuscanyswe
02-10-2014, 10:26 AM
She def had a good sense of humor! Bit weird thing to talk about in that context but i can understand if one decided to go through with something as big as a sex change one most likely feel its important to show who you really are. Perhaps its therapeutic in a way?! Good for her must be an awful feeling to believe you are truly the opposite sex of what you were brought up to be.

Think sweden recently had it up for discussion to ad a neutral sex for children born with uncertain sex. So you dont have raise a person either as a boy or girl untill they are old enough to decide themselves or something similar. Think Germany was first with this, as always i guess.