PDA

View Full Version : Things you'd rather do that ride a trainer?

avalonracing
02-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I got on my trainer this week for the first time in YEARS (yes really, years). But this winter will not die!
It made me think of some things that I would rather do that ride a trainer:
-Get my teeth cleaned at the dentist
-Wait in line at the Motor Vehicle Administration
-Sit on hold with my cable company's customer service
-Get my teeth cleaned at the Motor Vehicle Administration
-Watch a reality show (that is a tough one)
-Be a contestant on a reality show (unless the show is about riding a bicycle trainer)
-Prostate exam? (I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know after my doctor's appointment later this month)
-And finally, I'd rather get my ass kicked on early Spring group rides than ride my trainer

biker72
02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Get my teeth cleaned at the Motor Vehicle Administration while watching a Kardashian reality show.

MattTuck
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Robb,

I have to say, I am not finding the trainer so bad this year. 2 hours earlier today with 2013 Ronde van Vlaanderen... 8 hours on it in January, 8 hours so far in February.

Not bad for a guy who hit 125 and 150 hours total for the last two seasons. I think part of it is that I finally have my own apartment again, a place that I can set the bike up and have really lowered the activation energy required to do a workout.

The second piece of it is that I've been finding good races to watch and finding good techno/house music mixes to play in the background. It's great to hear the Eurosport guys with a nice electronic backbeat.

Also, I have a bit more of a plan this year. Hoping to hit 30 hours of 'base' riding before I start upping the intensity. I figure that is pretty close to the equivalent of 500+ miles. By the time April rolls around I hope to be in the kind of shape that I usually hit in June or July in normal years.

FlashUNC
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Slam my weiner in a sliding glass door.

Rollers are tolerable but still not what I would define as fun.

T.J.
02-08-2014, 01:25 PM
While do dislike the trainer with a passion I am averaging 12~14 hrs a week on it since Jan.

wallymann
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
insert into left eye socket, push firmly into brain, swirl around vigorously! ;-)

seriously, i dont mind the trainer in jan/feb...it's too ·····ty out in MI to enjoy riding at all and i have well-structured workouts a coach put together for me several years ago, i do the prescribed power/hr "sets" of work, and i'm done in no time. it gets me in shape for when the weather is tolerable and is a MUCH better use of saddle-time and honestly is much higher quality training than riding outside.

dogdriver
02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Last time I was on a trainer, I was trying to decide whether to cut my wrists or shoot myself. Shortly after, bought a Pugsley. Shortly after, sold the trainer. No more suicidal tendencies.

grailedmund
02-08-2014, 02:01 PM
get a fat bike!

CPP
02-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Things you'd rather do that ride a trainer?

Drink red wine, rub my ever growing belly and repeat " I'm getting too old to race"

GregL
02-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I'll do anything to avoid the "rat wheel." Fortunately, two things have made it less painful this winter:

- Netflix app on my iPad. Enjoying catching up on favorite old movies and TV shows while on the trainer. I forgot how much I enjoyed "Slapshot." The time goes faster with my brain distracted.

- Great snow. My wife and I have been XC skiing every weekend since Christmas. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow!

- Greg

MattTuck
02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
While do dislike the trainer with a passion I am averaging 12~14 hrs a week on it since Jan.

That is admirable.

Fixed
02-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Ride in a forty degree rain storm with no fenders for 3 hours
Fun actually :)
Cheers

KonaSS
02-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't like it, but it has been a necessary evil for me this winter. Conditions outside have been too dangerous to ride. Too much ice and snow on roads and trails are even unrideable.

I did a trainer century on Superbowl Sunday and did 3 hours this morning and as it is snowing right now, probably 3 tomorrow morning as well.

Movies, music, some reading, watches races, and intervals all help pass the time.

mod6
02-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Ski, snow shoe, hill repeats on the road when the temps cracks 30. I really admire folks that can put time in on a trainer. I rather have root canal than ride a trainer

Ti Designs
02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
There are few things I would rather do than ride the trainer, knowing that it's an investment in next season.

thwart
02-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Ride rollers.

John H.
02-08-2014, 06:29 PM
If you hate the trainer, either you:
1.) Live someplace with nice weather
2.) You don't have concrete performance related cycling goals.
A trainer is your vehicle to hit those goals if you have bad weather, work all day and have no daylight, etc.
You don't even need to ride big hours on the trainer to get a bunch out of it- 1-2 hrs per session.
Simple as that.

chuckroast
02-08-2014, 06:51 PM
I have a trainer. My CSI is on it right now. I haven't been on it since December. It's ok with me. I don't mind getting a little out of shape in the Winter. It makes the Spring rides that much more fun when the weather starts to turn. Yeah, I made it out on the road 3 times in January and I'll probably get out a couple of times this month. But, if the trainer gathers dust and I don't start riding seriously until April, that's ok with me. Whatever.

avalonracing
02-08-2014, 09:53 PM
If you hate the trainer, either you:
1.) Live someplace with nice weather
2.) You don't have concrete performance related cycling goals.
A trainer is your vehicle to hit those goals if you have bad weather, work all day and have no daylight, etc.
You don't even need to ride big hours on the trainer to get a bunch out of it- 1-2 hrs per session.
Simple as that.

No, I hated my trainer (and rollers) when I had performance oriented goals. I rode them but I still hated them. Now I don't have performance oriented goals so I don't have to ride them. I will be out riding tomorrow when it is 27ºF. I won't be happy about that either but for me it is 10000000 times more fun than a trainer session in a 70º room. Trainers are riding, they are pedaling. Pedaling sucks, riding is great.

AgilisMerlin
02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Walk
Watch
Wonder
Witness
Listen
& read

Louis
02-08-2014, 10:06 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_GUSV4eAfzM/UIVlI0cyhbI/AAAAAAAAJho/4g_1ygnxbVE/s1600/annual-vegetarian-festival-thailand.jpg4.jpg

soulspinner
02-09-2014, 04:50 AM
Shovel my 160 foot driveway instead of using my snowblower:fight:

oldpotatoe
02-09-2014, 07:13 AM
get a fat bike!

'cept it don't make it warm outside..high in the republic one day last week had a minus sign in front of it.

If ya gotta ride inside, do it on rollers...with decent music and a vintage cycling vid..like Stars and Watercarriers...

Frankwurst
02-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Have one of my testicles removed with a dull rusty razor blade while a huge bodybuilder type dude is holding me up by my ears and his mother is force feeding me english peas (which I can't stand) and a guy who has no income who took the job of ripping out my toenails with pliers while sharing a conversation with the girl that was shaving every inch of my body so the next person could cover me with an ointment that would make me burst into flames. :beer:
P.S. I used to do it but fat and happy suites me well now.

cookietom
02-09-2014, 04:13 PM
I bought a trainer two years ago and only used twice. I hate it! Join the spinning class and TRX class. Will ride in the shower or rain tomorrow am. I rather be wet than being on the trainer!!!

avalonracing
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Today instead of the trainer I rode outside for over two hours in a damp, cloudy 27ºF. My fingers and toes were pissed but still better than a trainer.

John H.
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
I actually did ride the trainer today.
Tru Trainer rollers. Rode them for an hour.
More than anything I was sick of doing laundry and
washing my bike.
For a longer ride I would be outside no matter what the weather was doing.

weiwentg
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
run.

rustychisel
02-11-2014, 06:43 PM
What's a trainer?

My fingers and toes were pissed but still better than a trainer.

errrr, not a urinary reference through appropriated verb?

rounder
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
My trainer is in the cold basement next to the ping pong table. I would rather do pretty much anything than ride a cold bike in the basement next to a ping pong table. Thinking that spring is right around the corner. Can't wait.

eippo1
02-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Spent some time on the rollers tonight while watching the half pipe finals. That is not an easy sport to watch while trying to maintain balance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD