PDA

View Full Version : Pro's Closet on E-Bay

campy man
02-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Hate to use the E-word on this forum but does the Pro's Closet have a good reputation?

When they describe an item being in good condition, is the description accurate? Their prices seem to be a little high but I'm more concerned about the accuracy of the condition.

Any insight is appreciated.

Steve in SLO
02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Descriptions and measurements seem to be pretty accurate.
Qualifiers such as miles on components, # of times clothes worn, etc, come from the consignees, so accuracy might be variable.

mgm777
02-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Hate to use the E-word on this forum but does the Pro's Closet have a good reputation?

When they describe an item being in good condition, is the description accurate? Their prices seem to be a little high but I'm more concerned about the accuracy of the condition.

Yes, they're good folks, here in Boulder, running a legit business. I have used them to sell many bike related items. If you have a question about a particular item, just call them and ask. They do their best to provide accurate descriptions, but those descriptions are subjective. Since their specialty is selling bike-related products and they write their own product descriptions, I believe they are conservatively accurate.

velotrack
02-08-2014, 12:13 AM
I've tried selling stuff to them and getting quotes for my stuff, but, they really don't give much. Business sure, but, the figures I was getting were CRAZY.

mjbrekke
02-08-2014, 12:13 AM
I've purchased from them in the past without problem. Descriptions were accurate, prices seemed slightly on the high side but still fair enough to me. ebay has backed me up on unfair descriptions in the past with other sellers, so I wouldn't be too concerned unless it is a high-dollar item.

TRACK
02-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Yeah they are legit. actually knows what they are selling.
super descriptive. and they respond questions within 24 business hours. :)
You can still return the item if you dont like it!
But theres a restocking fee.

KJMUNC
02-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Have bought several wheelsets and a bunch of parts. Always just as shown/described and easy to deal with. Great seller.

campy man
02-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Looking for help on their item descriptions regarding condition.

If they describe an item as having "good" condition, does it meet the same standard as Paceline?

I know they accept returns but it seems like a waste to pay return shipping and a restocking fee for an item that was obviously in "good" or "average" condition but described as "excellent"?

KonaSS
02-08-2014, 04:11 AM
I had one bad experience with them in their early days, but they took care of it. They described a carbon seatpost as new, only it arrived and had clearly been used and was scratched up.

They took a return and refunded all of my money without any fees. Since that time, it appears that they have really tightened up on the accuracy and detail in their descriptions. And I have purchased from them again.

I have a simple rule with ebay purchases, before I bid, I have to feel confident that I understand the condition the product is in and that I won't be surprised. That feeling comes from positive feedback, a good description and good pictures that support the description. I also tend to avoid sellers who don't seem to know much about the product they are selling. They may not know what to look for in verifying condition. If something doesn't add up and I don't feel confident about it, I just pass.

With the Pros Closet, they usually pass all of these tests. That being said, Pros Closet does tend tell sell lots of things from actual Pros. I tend to not be interested in most of these items unless they are new/like new. Bikes and parts are tools for Pros, they are used in all conditions and used much longer and harder than the average rider. Not something I am interested in.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2014, 07:33 AM

I know those guys, have for years, they are good people. I dealt with Pete Lopinto all the time.

They are selling on consignment mostly, they are very knowledgable and if they aren't they call to get more info from somebody that is..

Dale Alan
02-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I have bought from them a few times. Always very happy with their description. No fluff involved,they are honest folks.

yakstone
02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Consignment operation in Boulder. Honest folks who do their best to get the descriptions right.
I have been by their shop to pick-up items that I have purchased and always been impressed with how they do business.

bobswire
02-08-2014, 10:22 AM
I know those guys, have for years, they are good people. I dealt with Pete Lopinto all the time.

They are selling on consignment mostly, they are very knowledgable and if they aren't they call to get more info from somebody that is..

Hey Pete, those are the guys who sold me the "Gravel Grinder" I'm building that I posted about on another thread. ;)

http://i58.tinypic.com/2cdxu0g.jpg

pbarry
02-08-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm a long time customer and have always been happy with goods from PC. Their selling template is kind of klunky tho. Look closely at the zoomed "ebay" images at the top of the listing page. They don't have a zoom function on the PC images, lower down the page.

FlashUNC
02-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Solid guys. I've bought several things from them without issue. Accurate descriptions and all.

umami
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I bid on a frameset from TPC, and while the auction was in progress I happened to be in Boulder and stopped by to check out the frame in person. Turns out they had the size incorrectly listed. Fortunately, I was outbid after they updated the listing with the correct size.

Their shop is clean and professional--the bikes they have hanging in there, oh my. The folks I talked to were friendly enough. Their in-person presence was much more confidence inspiring than the answers I got online. I asked about the size on ebay and they confirmed that it was correct. One measurement in person proved that assumption to be wrong.

My overall impression is that their ratings are somewhat below Paceline standards, while their prices are on the high side. Look at the photos--look hard. Do your homework. I don't think they're dishonest, but they're not there to give you a great deal or detail out every smudge and scratch. TPF is community. TPC is business.

the bottle ride
02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I have bought stuff from them for years- some of the best sellers on eBay IMHO

Wakatel_Luum
02-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Never bothered to buy from them as there prices are too high...why buy second hand when you can get new for the same price...

oldpotatoe
02-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Never bothered to buy from them as there prices are too high...why buy second hand when you can get new for the same price...

I would say it depends. They sell a lot of vintage Campagnolo for great prices and some minty stuff for far less than retail, unless you can find an CX crank for $59.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-CX-11-Crank-Set-Power-Torque-Bottom-Bracket-11-Speed-175mm-46-36-/350973852559?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item51b7abfb8f

Pelican
02-09-2014, 09:43 AM
TPF is community. TPC is business.

I think this sums it up right there. I've had to return items from TPC and while you do get your money back, it's an unnecessary hassle.

Why aren't there more bike consignment shops in cities with large cycling communities? I would love to have a local shop that operated like this, and nothing beats seeing the stuff in-person before you buy.

shovelhd
02-09-2014, 09:46 AM
The equivalent on the East Coast is Piedmont Bike in NY. Shill alert: they are one of my sponsors.

bargainguy
02-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Why aren't there more bike consignment shops in cities with large cycling communities? I would love to have a local shop that operated like this, and nothing beats seeing the stuff in-person before you buy.

I've wondered this myself. The brick-and-mortar business model for used bikes seems to be outright sales as opposed to consignments.

The latter sounds like a great idea - until one realizes the commitment to fixed costs (building/floor space, taxes, utilities, wages) that it would take if a bike or bike item sits unsold on the floor for months or even years.

Used bikes also tend to be fill-ins for other sales vehicles. A LBS owner tells me that during the slow times of the year, he'll have his staff refurb the used bikes instead of sitting idle or assembling new ones. That way, he can point his customers to a used bike instead of having them walk when they hear the ~$300 price point for a new bike.

pbarry
02-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I would say it depends. They sell a lot of vintage Campagnolo for great prices and some minty stuff for far less than retail, unless you can find an CX crank for $59.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-CX-11-Crank-Set-Power-Torque-Bottom-Bracket-11-Speed-175mm-46-36-/350973852559?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item51b7abfb8f

^^My score. :banana:

oldpotatoe
02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
^^My score. :banana:

Good for you.....nice crank.