PDA

View Full Version : Letting one random part drive you to think terrible thoughts

d_douglas
02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
So, how many of you have had a single part laying around your house that influences your decision on the 'next bike'?

I had some second hand Panaracer Firecross 45mm that didn't fit my custom CX bike and was going to sell them , but never bothered. Eight months later, I found a cool 29er frame and have now built a campy equipped monstercross based solely on having those tires! How stupid is that?!?! Anyways, it'll be good fun.

A local guy is selling a fully anodized Wound Up disc road fork and it has me thinking baaaaad thoughts. I don't have this type of cash!

Any stories of having a custom frame built simply because you had a cool frame pump tat you could have painted to match? Or a steep angle stem that influenced you to get into track riding? Please tell me I am not alone ;)

cachagua
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm about to remove and reinstall, 4mm higher, the seatstay bridge on my 1972 Cinelli track bike to fit the 28mm tire I just bought. Got a really good price!

quehill
02-07-2014, 02:24 PM
a set of lightly used $150 Paul Racer brakes in 2012
became...

a somewhat more expensive custom Retrotec monstercross in 2014.

pavel
02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
get a matching paul seattube clamp for your hanger.

EricEstlund
02-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Cook cranks-
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7541044428_14f41d3a05_z.jpg

Dura Ace seat post-
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3804/10104371795_095a26aeaf_z.jpg

vav
02-07-2014, 02:45 PM
A "spare" wheelset; CK to Mavic CXP 33 32h drove me to this :banana:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9676786582_3780ecd529_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/9676783970_779bbb4407_b.jpg

PacNW2Ford
02-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Way too funny:

leftover MotoLites > Kogswell, didn't like the K P/R so... = new Tournesol. The Motolites didn't fit the Tournesol, so it has Paul cantis...

leftover Motolites > used WTB Phoenix, frame turned out to be rusty... so = Lighthouse MAX MTB

d_douglas
02-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Ha ha - I feel better knowing how crazy others are on this issue.

Even you, Eric? I thought industry guys were above this stuff :) - I love it!

That Zanconato is stunning - I need it ;) - please !!

slidey
02-07-2014, 04:10 PM

Man, you take the cake really! Before this post, if someone asked me what the least new-build/bike inspiring part is I'd have pretty confidently said tyres; not any more. Kudos!

weaponsgrade
02-07-2014, 04:19 PM
a set of lightly used $150 Paul Racer brakes in 2012
became...

a somewhat more expensive custom Retrotec monstercross in 2014.

Funny, I picked up a set of used Paul Racers just bc they were cool. I've been entertaining dangerous thoughts of building something around them. The latest is to put them on a 76 Colnago Super and make it a 650b

FastVegan
02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
A friend had a set of Paul SS MTB 26" Rim brake wheels he was going to sell for $25 on CL.

I never wanted a SS MTB

I got them and now am building a SS MTB.

I know the feeling.

nighthawk
02-07-2014, 04:38 PM
I need those wheels if you change your mind :)

I've got a SS MTB frame with WI Eno cranks I'm working on building up.

A friend had a set of Paul SS MTB 26" Rim brake wheels he was going to sell for $25 on CL.

I never wanted a SS MTB

I got them and now am building a SS MTB.

I know the feeling.

d_douglas
02-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Man, you take the cake really! Before this post, if someone asked me what the least new-build/bike inspiring part is I'd have pretty confidently said tyres; not any more. Kudos!

Oh yeah? I doesn't seem weird to me because it defines the kind of terrain you could ride on. I mean a 'fat bike' is just a mountain bike with clearance for enormous rubber, isn't it?

Now if I bought a built a bike around a particular COLOUR of part, that'd be weird. That said, I always thought a bare to frame with pink anodized parts looked awesome!

oliver1850
02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I just did a build based around a Continental 27 mm CX tubular. Couldn't find a mate for it anywhere so bought a Vittoria Mastercross to go with it. Frameset came along that will only fit 28s, so a built a rear wheel with a Shimano hub so I could run a big cog. Built the bike. When I spun the front wheel with the Continental, I found it has about 10mm difference in radius from one side to the other and the tall side doesn't have enough clearance.

Can anyone warranty an unglued Continental tubular? I also have a new Giro that won't hold air.

tuscanyswe
02-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Been there done that. I kinda like it as much as i hate it tbh.
Currently looking at a cross fork in the bin.. Thing is i also have a cross frameset in another box. Makes me think i could sell my current cross build the new with the parts from the one i got and then expand the fork-project..

True story but who knows what will happen. My mind is constantly juggling my next bike for good n bad.

RonW87
02-07-2014, 04:50 PM
I had a Brooks saddle lying around and ended up buying a Heron Road to put it on.

FastVegan
02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I just did a build based around a Continental 27 mm CX tubular. Couldn't find a mate for it anywhere so bought a Vittoria Mastercross to go with it. Frameset came along that will only fit 28s, so a built a rear wheel with a Shimano hub so I could run a big cog. Built the bike. When I spun the front wheel with the Continental, I found it has about 10mm difference in radius from one side to the other and the tall side doesn't have enough clearance.

Can anyone warranty an unglued Continental tubular? I also have a new Giro that won't hold air.

I have another mastercross if you want a pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustyrider
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
I fight the urge every day while I puruse the classifieds. Which I believe to be a perfectly normal reality!

EricEstlund
02-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Even you, Eric? I thought industry guys were above this stuff :) - I love it!

We're just bike geeks, but even more entrenched. I always have about 15 frames in my head I want to try out- it's an effort to keep the turn over reasonable. R&D and all.

Peter B
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
It all started with this 5mm cage bolt I had lying around...

bobswire
02-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Stem or seatpost gets me started.

miksibis
02-07-2014, 09:39 PM
I was given a pair of these fat tubulars from a friend who couldn't get them to fit his bike and ended up dreaming up a disc brake road frame with campy from bryan at royal h cycles. It was a fun project teetering dangerously close to 'over the top'.

zetroc
02-08-2014, 02:02 AM
I bought an Acorn rando bag and liked it so much I had a Signal built around it.

beeatnik
02-08-2014, 02:53 AM
Thought I'd switch up the look on one minimal bike. Bought a red CK headset. Changed my mind. Dug the red shiny thing so much figured it needed a Chris King bike to match. Will not allow myself to buy any shiny anodized parts from now on...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8581367742_b14f497866.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8123/8693560061_4684bdd6f5.jpg

sales guy
02-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Even you, Eric? I thought industry guys were above this stuff :)

Oh god we're worse. The frame builders are probably just a bit worse than us regular industry guys. UNLESS we are nutty about the products we sell. Say maybe shoes, clothes or glasses. Say an oakley employee. They most likely own WAY too many pairs. Like a shoe guy has the same issue.

We're all bad. We just get it cheaper at times. And then we end up with 14 bikes like me and 8 pair of shoes like me!

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-08-2014, 05:25 AM
No comment.

soulspinner
02-08-2014, 05:31 AM
No comment.

:)

sc53
02-08-2014, 07:09 AM
So, how many of you have had a single part laying around your house that influences your decision on the 'next bike'?

I had some second hand Panaracer Firecross 45mm that didn't fit my custom CX bike and was going to sell them , but never bothered. Eight months later, I found a cool 29er frame and have now built a campy equipped monstercross based solely on having those tires! How stupid is that?!?! Anyways, it'll be good fun.

A local guy is selling a fully anodized Wound Up disc road fork and it has me thinking baaaaad thoughts. I don't have this type of cash!

Any stories of having a custom frame built simply because you had a cool frame pump tat you could have painted to match? Or a steep angle stem that influenced you to get into track riding? Please tell me I am not alone ;)

Like you, I had a set of Bruce Gordon Rock n'Road tires I bought on sale that were too big (700 x 43) to fit on any of my frames. Long story short, I ended up with this. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=129122&highlight=bmc) At least it wasn't custom.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Where didja get them? Warranty through them, I would guess..unless overseas MO, then ya might be SOL..unless you have a good LBS that deals conti and the rep may get a warranty..

Try changing the valve guts on the Giro.

Dustin
02-08-2014, 09:01 AM
There are two tires that beg me to have a bike built around them: hetres and BG RnRs. From the sounds of this thread, the trick is not to buy the tire unless you are ready for the rest to follow.

Bkat
02-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I had an extra Thomson stem laying around that told me I needed a new bike to put it on. But after seeing this thread, I no longer feel like I'm alone in that sort of justification.

pedlpwrd
02-08-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't build my own bikes, but I come by this forum from time to time and look at all the beauties built up in the custom and production bikes threads, that's when I start reeling with the idea of how low can I allow my bank accounts to get! You men and your works of art are what gets terrible thoughts into my head :bike:

accident
02-09-2014, 02:00 PM
I wanted to switch from campy to sram and got a good deal on a sram red mini groupo, then I came across a great deal on a macho man frameset and decided just to build up another bike instead :)

steelbikerider
02-09-2014, 05:28 PM
I have a 14 cm Salsa stem that I have repainted and has titanium hardware. either need another bike or sell the stem.