PDA

View Full Version : Parlee Z5...talk me in to/out of buying one? And a warranty question.

kramnnim
02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
So, Parlee people- I've been happy with my Look 586, but have had it for 2 years and "need" something shiny and new. (or matte and used, in this case)

Had a 585 before the 586...695 would be next to stay in the Look family, but they just don't appeal to me.

Looked at (used) C59s, but don't want to pay $2.5k+...or gain the ~150g in weight.

Love how the Time RXRS look, but they also aren't light.

Z5SL seems to fit what I'm looking for...lighter than my 586, but still good for long rides on bad roads without being harsh, etc. (at least that's what some people say)

I came across a used-but-good-condition Z5SL f/f/hs in my size for well under $2k. Should I go for it?

And...if I do, should I send it to Parlee for inspection/have the warranty transferred? It's $250 plus postage. Doesn't sound like they have many QC problems that would require repairs under warranty...damage from crashing might be more likely, and warranty wouldn't cover those repairs...

christian
02-07-2014, 07:27 AM
My wife has a regular Z5. The construction and paintwork looks good and it apparently rides nicely. It's a good-looking bike, but I have to admit I love the Colnago handling, so would place a C59 above it.

sales guy
02-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Don't buy one.

Did that work?

Buy the Time. The ride is unbeatable. The weight, it's for a whole fuselage. Frame, fork, headset, seat mast head and stem. The actual frame weight I don't have but they are no more heavy than the other super high end carbons out there. And they are sexy as hell! And again, ride amazingly.

Now, I have ridden Parlees before. A custom Z1 built for me. Honestly, I don't have it anymore. It just wasn't that incredible. Hard to describe. But it just didn't feel amazing. I was thinking it was going to ride like I was in the Tour and it just felt like another bike. For whatever reason it did. And the Times I own make me feel different. And they ride great.

christian
02-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Buy the Time. The ride is unbeatable. The weight, it's for a whole fuselage. Frame, fork, headset, seat mast head and stem. The actual frame weight I don't have but they are no more heavy than the other super high end carbons out there. And they are sexy as hell!No one can deny that Times are cool, but they don't make you feel like this:

http://evansblog01.ominor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Stage-19-Thomas-Voeckler-and-Colnago-C59-Italia-Yello-Jersey-edition1.jpg

or this:

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Thomas-Voeckler-Colnago-C59-2013-KOM-Edition.jpg

So you can end your ride at Starbucks feeling like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u3vxtRTGygg/TiSQmVGOzDI/AAAAAAAABhY/KEbDA5_KS3s/s1600/Stage+15-+Thomas+Voeckler+and+Yellow+Colnago+C59+Italia.jpg

Friend, dentists ride Parlees, Tommy F'in' Voeckler rides a C59!

R3awak3n
02-07-2014, 07:48 AM
What about Crumton? Have heard nothing but good things

http://crumptoncycles.com/

sales guy
02-07-2014, 07:48 AM
The first time he wore yellow was on a Time. Which he held for 13 days!

sales guy
02-07-2014, 07:49 AM
And that is a sexy TT bike.

sales guy
02-07-2014, 07:49 AM
And another time on a Time.

christian
02-07-2014, 07:51 AM
The new origami Times are not like a VXRS. And I thought it was 10 days - stages 5-14. But yeah, best racing in the last decade. Can't believe that was 10 years ago. Chapeau Thomas!

And yeah, a Time VXRS Ulteam is about the only bike I'd like as much as my Extreme Power. And a Look 585 Ultra.

firerescuefin
02-07-2014, 07:54 AM
I love my Z5: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116294&highlight=medium+tall

A Z5 is not a custom Z1 and doesn't feel like one. It's not a C59 and isn't a full on race rig. It is certainly is raceable, but is also very comfortable on longish rides.

Google Z5 reviews and Charles (pez) does a great review on the SL..as well as Huang at Bike Radar/Cycling news.

At the end of the day, no one should talk you into it...go strap one/them on and see which one resonates with you/fits your style of riding.

kramnnim
02-07-2014, 07:56 AM
How did this become a Voeckler picture thread? :confused: lol.

I don't think I could get myself to pay $2.5k+ for a frame, so a C59 is pretty much out. Same with Crumpton, etc.

RXR/RXRS can be found for under $2k...haven't really heard much about how they ride since there aren't many people riding them. Bare frames are 1200g+.

firerescuefin
02-07-2014, 07:56 AM
I second the Crumpton idea if you have the coin. Tell Nic what you want...and he'll build it. Haven't heard of a unhappy Crumpton owner...ever.

sales guy
02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
The new origami Times are not like a VXRS. And I thought it was 10 days - stages 5-14. But yeah, best racing in the last decade. Can't believe that was 10 years ago. Chapeau Thomas!

And yeah, a Time VXRS Ulteam is about the only bike I'd like as much as my Extreme Power. And a Look 585 Ultra.

Yes, ten days in yellow. 13 in white. Stages 5 thru 18. My bad.

I'm not trying to slam Colnago. I think they are very nice. But I did own a C50 for all of 52 miles. It just didn't ride right. My size, built up right and had new da 10 on it. I was one of the first few shops who had da 10 first back in '04. I hated the da stuff. Brakes, sti hoods. Lots wrong with it. So it could have been the combo of the two. But I didn't like the c50.

sales guy
02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
How did this become a Voeckler picture thread? :confused: lol.

I don't think I could get myself to pay $2.5k+ for a frame, so a C59 is pretty much out. Same with Crumpton, etc.

RXR/RXRS can be found for under $2k...haven't really heard much about how they ride since there aren't many people riding them. Bare frames are 1200g+.

My buddy has a RXRS and loves it to death. I would buy one if I didn't have 14 bikes right now. I still want one of their TT bikes.

FlashUNC
02-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Video review of the RXRS: http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Tested-Bikes/video/8/841/Time-RXRS-Video-Review

My VXR is the finest carbon bike I've ever ridden. Really is amazing what those crazy Frenchmen can do with carbon in-house.

I'd go for the Time in a heartbeat. I'd love to ride something they've put out in the last decade.

If they're good enough for Tornado Tom...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8028/2711/1600/full.getty-cycling-tdf2006-boonen_7_57_13_am.jpg

And Paolo Bettini....

http://born2ride.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/paolo-bettini.jpg

texbike
02-07-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm not trying to slam Colnago. I think they are very nice. But I did own a C50 for all of 52 miles. It just didn't ride right. My size, built up right and had new da 10 on it. I was one of the first few shops who had da 10 first back in '04. I hated the da stuff. Brakes, sti hoods. Lots wrong with it. So it could have been the combo of the two. But I didn't like the c50.

Interesting! This is one of my favorite combos (sorry for the crappy iPad pic)!

texbike

joosttx
02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
No one can deny that Times are cool, but they don't make you feel like this:

http://evansblog01.ominor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Stage-19-Thomas-Voeckler-and-Colnago-C59-Italia-Yello-Jersey-edition1.jpg

or this:

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Thomas-Voeckler-Colnago-C59-2013-KOM-Edition.jpg

So you can end your ride at Starbucks feeling like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u3vxtRTGygg/TiSQmVGOzDI/AAAAAAAABhY/KEbDA5_KS3s/s1600/Stage+15-+Thomas+Voeckler+and+Yellow+Colnago+C59+Italia.jpg

Feel like what.... Bono's French speaking mini me?

sales guy
02-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Btw, I don't drink coffee or tea, so I don't give Starbucks anything.

Also, that combo, not sure what it was. But it just didn't feel/fit right. I will say they have shorter toptubes than I am used too. But I figured into that when I built the bike. But I wasn't happy with it at all.

Germany_chris
02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
They're all more bike than any of us "need" so from that premise I'd pick a boutique first, then Colnago.

Charles M
02-07-2014, 09:11 AM
http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-615-0-99551000-1326459866.jpg

Review's here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=88990

Go buy it...

And a full inspect and warranty is pretty cheap at $250. I didn't know they did that.

Your Look 586 is a nice bike. It is a little flexy if you're trying to kill it, but pretty comfortable and plenty light. I think you'll like the Z5 if you like the 586. Maybe a touch stiffer but just as smooth.

crownjewelwl
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM

i didn't know ivy was a dentist!

William
02-07-2014, 09:16 AM
http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-615-0-99551000-1326459866.jpg

I...I...I've been....THUNDERSTRUCK!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM) :cool:

William

Charles M
02-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Lol,

My favorite paint detail was this:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/parlee/acdcrock.jpg

But was also a bad idea in that some very strong riders had some fun saluting me... Don't ride that on the PCH near Sandiego in winter when 15 Euro-pro's are having their winter break :)

William
02-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Lol,

My favorite paint detail was this:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/parlee/acdcrock.jpg

But was also a bad idea in that some very strong riders had some fun saluting me... Don't ride that on the PCH near Sandiego in winter when 15 Euro-pro's are having their winter break :)

That's awesome! I love it.:cool:

William

Fixed
02-07-2014, 09:24 AM
I like nic to and he does custom
Those z's look great too
The new lemonds are out also
Riding a colnago makes you feel good all over
Tough choices all great one can't go wrong
Cheers

sitzmark
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM

And a full inspect and warranty is pretty cheap at $250. I didn't know they did that.

I've done it. Walked the frame in and talked with the Parlee's while frame was being inspected. Re-certified to "Lifetime warranty" is probably more psychological than anything - a nice thing for not a lot of money. For me it was a purchase criteria - if Parlee agreed to lifetime warranty it, then I was more comfortable that the frame was sound. They inspect it very carefully and keep the information on file.

Just purchased a new Z5SL frame and will be building it over the next couple of months. Deciding on and gathering components now, so can't report on ride characteristics. It's a nice frame - very nice workmanship inside and out. Looking forward to riding it. Might christen it with RTR this June.

veloduffer
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I've done it. Walked the frame in and talked with the Parlee's while frame was being inspected. Re-certified to "Lifetime warranty" is probably more psychological than anything - a nice thing for not a lot of money. For me it was a purchase criteria - if Parlee agreed to lifetime warranty it, then I was more comfortable that the frame was sound. They inspect it very carefully and keep the information on file.

Just purchased a new Z5SL frame and will be building it over the next couple of months. Deciding on and gathering components now, so can't report on ride characteristics. It's a nice frame - very nice workmanship inside and out. Looking forward to riding it. Might christen it with RTR this June.

I have a Z4 and love it. Best carbon frame that I've ridden and I've had carbon since Giant Cadex and Specialized Epics in the 90s. Just the right amount of flex to feel lively (much more than my Madone Six Series 2013) but stiff enough that when you attack or punch it on the hills you have instant acceleration.

And Parlee's customer service is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Parlee - actually been thinking about a Z3.

TimD
02-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I rode a Z5 SLi on wide rims and 25mm tires for about 3 minutes. It felt great.

For comparison purposes I have an Ottrott ST and Legend Ti with OS tubing. The Ottrott is somewhat underbuilt. The Legend is somewhat overbuilt. They both handle great. Initial impression was that the Parlee felt as good or better than either one.

I happen to like the look of the Parlee nude carbon finish.

The Parlee owners in my crew are not dentists and happen to be pretty fast, mostly-recreational riders. One of them finished in the top 70 (out of 2380) in the 2012 Gran Fondo NY, relying pretty much on natural talent and not a strict training regime. He paid for his bike.

christian
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
The Parlee owners in my crew are not dentists and happen to be pretty fast, mostly-recreational riders.OMG, it was a joke, bro. Did you read the part that my wife rides a Parlee?

Joachim
02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
OMG, it was a joke, bro. Did you read the part that my wife rides a Parlee?

Pff, why would anyone read earlier posts. Open up and say ahhhh....My dentist rides a S550. Wait..Charles is a dentist?

TimD
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
OMG, it was a joke, bro. Did you read the part that my wife rides a Parlee?

No. Must have been captivated by MiniBono. Is she a dentist?

Charles M
02-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I've done some involuntary dental work to a few folks in my earlier years:banana:

veloduffer
02-07-2014, 04:40 PM
I've done some involuntary dental work to a few folks in my earlier years:banana:

Must have been about a podium girl...:-)

GuyGadois
02-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I purchased a used Parlee z1 about 4 years ago and shipped it to Parlee directly from the seller and released the fund after Parlee inspected it and re-warranties it (and charged $250). It was worth it for piece of mind and to get the warranty. I would do it again.

GG

kramnnim
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Appreciate the input thus far... Charles, your review was one of the ones that initially convinced me that I need a Z5.

Ozrider
02-08-2014, 03:13 AM
I've had my Z5 for 3 years now, I race Crits on it, I do road races and I've done endurance events a few times (1000km in 6 days) and the Z5 is still a pleasure to ride.
I also have a Colnago Dream and a 2014 Trek Madone, which are both great bikes to ride, but the Parlee just has a ride quality that elevates it slightly above other bikes I have ridden.
It is my go to bike for long days in the hills, as it climbs really well, and descends and corners fantastically.
I regularly come down one of the hills here at 90km/h plus and The Parlee is really stable and confidence inspiring.
After 3 years, the paint (clear on naked carbon) still looks good as new.

The best advice I can give is go and test ride the bikes you are considering. What may fit me just right and feel comfortable to me, might not deliver the same feel to someone else.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Yes, ten days in yellow. 13 in white. Stages 5 thru 18. My bad.

That's yur problem...I thought I heard it crying from here....

sales guy
02-08-2014, 08:53 AM
That's yur problem...I thought I heard it crying from here....

I love the 7700 stuff still. Buy it when I can find it. I have 9000 mechanical but haven't done Di2 yet. I usually run Campy or 7700. Just love how clean they are.

I think I was the one crying. I wanted the Colnago to work out. I was so bummed it didn't feel right.

djdj
02-09-2014, 07:09 AM
I've had a Z3 for 8 years. I love it. I sent it back for different paint a year ago. You will not find better customer service than Parlee.

kramnnim
02-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Hmm...so a weirdly painted Z5 just sold on eBay for only $1,500, making the one I was looking at seem like less of a deal. I've also been looking at the various PF30 adapters/bearings and good old threaded shells look so much better.

I was > < this close to committing to buy the frame, now I'm a bit unsure...any other Z5 owners care to weigh in?

Charles M
02-10-2014, 12:34 PM
:rolleyes:

NOTHING...

Changed with the Z5 in the last several hours. nada. zipp. zero... And there have been zero issues with the BB section of the Z5 on any forums... I have thousands of miles into PF30 BB's on multiple bikes.

I promise you will find them selling for more and for less no matter what you pay for it...

christian
02-10-2014, 12:50 PM
And there have been zero issues with the BB section of the Z5 on any forums...I don't think that's true. Lots of people had the Campy cups walk on them. The Parlee cups in my wife's Z5 have been solid, but I think PF30 is a problem in search of a solution. I like the tapered fork, but the BSC bottom bracket in the Z4 is probably better...

kramnnim
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
I kind of want PF30 as an excuse to get a Hollowgram crank, but in the mean time, the GXP adapters look annoying to use...

Charles, I've been wondering...what do you ride now that your Z5 is gone?

RedRider
02-10-2014, 01:15 PM

What doesn't Charles ride?!!! :)

firerescuefin
02-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Chris King PF BB for this application is the way to go IMO. The adapter kits for a myriad of applications are available and take about 5 seconds to put on take off.

I kind of want PF30 as an excuse to get a Hollowgram crank, but in the mean time, the GXP adapters look annoying to use...

kramnnim
02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Chris King PF BB for this application is the way to go IMO. The adapter kits for a myriad of applications are available and take about 5 seconds to put on take off.

Hmm, can you link to what you're referring to? I looked at their PF30 BB instructions, and they are pressed in with a headset tool...seems like they'd take at least a few minutes to remove?

firerescuefin
02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
The bottom bracket needs to be prep'd and pressed in. The different fit kits (depending on what crank your running pop right in and right out.

http://chrisking.com/PFBB

Hmm, can you link to what you're referring to? I looked at their PF30 BB instructions, and they are pressed in with a headset tool...seems like they'd take at least a few minutes to remove?

kramnnim
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Ah, okay, I see what you mean...you just swap fit kits when changing between BB30 and GXP/HTII cranks. Cool.

sailorboy
02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
I'll also say the Z5 is quite a nice ride, and if you can get one that is at least 2013 or later for under 2K, then it's a good deal to boot.

I've since sold it to get a custom carbon frame, but I took one to Majorca last spring for a week-long guided trip and even though I didn't have a lot of experience on it I was eating up the descents, the more technical the better. Found myself waiting for a long time for the rest of the group to re-form at the bottom after I got down the longer descents. This was with my club race team too, not a bunch of tourists.

Oh, it probably goes without saying but it climbed exceptionally well also. Surges under you uphill if you're proucing the watts you should be.

Nags&Ducs
02-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I've not experienced any Parlee, and would love to eventually have one in my stable. Especially a Z0. But when considering a Z5sl, I think I would look hard at a Giant (TCR Advanced SL2?) before pulling the trigger on the Z5. It seems to me that you can find Giant's top tier frames for a better bargain than a lot of other makes. Just MHO. And again, Everything I've read on the Z5 leads me to believe it is a great ride too, so I'm not bagging on it.

I'll also echo what others have said: Colnago geometry works for me. LOVE the way they handle.

kramnnim
02-11-2014, 12:27 PM
So do the Z5's all have PF30, or did the earlier models have BB30? Parlee says... "BB30 (Press Fit 30)", the seller is telling me it has "true BB30" but he might be confused.

Edit: I called Parlee and Tom answered...sounds like it is BB30.

54ny77
02-11-2014, 01:51 PM
i have one, it's an awesome bike. smooth, snappy, all around terrific. if it fits you, go for it. they can be had on a good deal (relatively speaking) if you look around.

i haven't read all the responses in here so this may have already been said, but you can ship the frame to parlee, they'll inspect it, and if there's no hiccups, for a couple hundred or so you can get an extended warranty.

and yes it's bb30.

Pete Mckeon
02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Like parlee z5- if the Tt and drop are correct for you, Mine was stock and is sweet.
i have one, it's an awesome bike. smooth, snappy, all around terrific. if it fits you, go for it. they can be had on a good deal (relatively speaking) if you look around.

i haven't read all the responses in here so this may have already been said, but you can ship the frame to parlee, they'll inspect it, and if there's no hiccups, for a couple hundred or so you can get an extended warranty.

and yes it's bb30.

kramnnim
02-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Yep, geo looks very close to my 586...same TT, HT is within 1mm, STA and HTA are the same. Stays are 5mm longer...

54ny77
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
honestly those #'s sound trivial.

really only answer is to ride one to try it.

you'll like it. or maybe you won't.

how's that for potential outcome?

:p

kramnnim
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Hah, I've never even seen a Parlee on the road here. There's a dealer in the nearest large city, but I get down there only a few times per year.

FlashUNC
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Hah, I've never even seen a Parlee on the road here. There's a dealer in the nearest large city, but I get down there only a few times per year.

Ben and the Bike Sport guys rave about them. They also carry Colnago and I've seen a few sweet C59s go through there. Just sayin...

Charles M
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Right now? It's this...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/14-sarto-ex-1024x680.jpg

But I have a Scapin and Parlee landing that will keep things rolling...

sailorboy
02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
So do the Z5's all have PF30, or did the earlier models have BB30? Parlee says... "BB30 (Press Fit 30)", the seller is telling me it has "true BB30" but he might be confused.

Edit: I called Parlee and Tom answered...sounds like it is BB30.

Yep, this is why I would recommend '13 or later. iirc, the 2012 and previous models had the BB30 with the groove inside the shell for retaining the bearings. PF30 is BB30 but a smooth shell with no extra piece required there. Superior system. PF30 also allows some carbon builders to eliminate the bonded alloy shell altogether and keep it all carbon, I'm pretty sure the current Z5 uses an all-carbon BB shell.

kramnnim
02-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Yep, this is why I would recommend '13 or later. iirc, the 2012 and previous models had the BB30 with the groove inside the shell for retaining the bearings. PF30 is BB30 but a smooth shell with no extra piece required there. Superior system. PF30 also allows some carbon builders to eliminate the bonded alloy shell altogether and keep it all carbon, I'm pretty sure the current Z5 uses an all-carbon BB shell.

Ahh, I meant to ask why you mentioned '13+. Oh well, I'll have to make do with BB30.

Charles, weren't you supposed to stop using those brakes immediately? :banana: Looking forward to the next Parlee review...

FlashUNC- I think I've seen one C59 out in the wild...

oldpotatoe
02-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Right now? It's this...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/14-sarto-ex-1024x680.jpg

But I have a Scapin and Parlee landing that will keep things rolling...

but, but, but those brakes are dangerous...

Charles M
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Yep.

But it's 80 today and these work way better than my other brakes...

I have the replacements here though. They'll get swapped out. But it seems a shame as there are Zero issues and I have to change em out again in may when the new one's are estimated to land...

oldpotatoe
02-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Yep.

But it's 80 today and these work way better than my other brakes...

I have the replacements here though. They'll get swapped out. But it seems a shame as there are Zero issues and I have to change em out again in may when the new one's are estimated to land...

Well, then don't..swap them...they said is was low temps, right?

Right?

sales guy
02-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Well, then don't..swap them...they said is was low temps, right?

Right?

Actually, they said low temps AND a flaw in the seal itself. So it isn't just the low temp but primarily the low temp

civdic
02-14-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm kind of late to this but I'm going to chime in about the Time's. I had a 2006 VXR and LOVED it. I couldn't ride it enough until the chain stay developed a crack.

I ended up purchasing a 2012 Time NXR and I was really disappointed. I think people assume the new Time's ride like the older models and they don't. I encourage anyone who has ridden a time and are considering a newer one to spend some time riding before they purchase. I ended up selling the frame. I just felt beat up after rides. Maybe the Time Fluidity rides like the older frames?

kramnnim
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Interesting, and isn't the NXR supposed to be more comfortable than the RXR?

What replaced your NXR?

civdic
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Yep it's supposed to be. I haven't ridden the RXR. I did read on another forum that the RXR tends to be a bit more comfortable for longer distances??

When Time went to monocoque front triangles I think they lost the magic they once had.

I replaced it with a Moots RSL

Interesting, and isn't the NXR supposed to be more comfortable than the RXR?

What replaced your NXR?

Pete Mckeon
02-15-2014, 02:29 PM
:bike: enjoy !

kramnnim
02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Well, I bought it. And it arrived today! :banana:

...then I looked at it more closely, and it's cracked. :eek:

So yeah, bummed.

(seller is taking appropriate responsibility)

sales guy
02-21-2014, 03:44 AM

So yeah, bummed.

I had a similar issue. Fortunately mine was cheap in cost so I was fine with the option to have it fixed. Seller credited me a smidge and I will send it off for repair later in the year.

That's the downside to buying used or sight unseen. Sometimes I really wonder if the seller is doing it hoping they won't get caught. My crack was in an area he couldn't see especially since the bike was built up. And he seemed like an idiot about bikes anyways. But I do wonder.

soulspinner
02-21-2014, 03:46 AM

So yeah, bummed.

Oh man.......

Exonerv
02-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Awww....Mark. Major buzz kill. Really sorry it didn't work out.

So I suppose you'll be keeping your 586? :)

kramnnim
02-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Awww....Mark. Major buzz kill. Really sorry it didn't work out.

So I suppose you'll be keeping your 586? :)

Lol. Now that I've come this close to owning/riding a Z5, I want one even more. Plus I have a $200 seatpost that now has nowhere to go...

kramnnim
03-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Ok, stuck everything together in a bit of a hurry. Rode it for a couple hours, seemed more harsh than my 586.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1796465_10152655124689325_1158188616_n.jpg

Exonerv
03-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm just relieved that you caught it before I nearly dropped it on my driveway. Note to self...check for bikes before raising garage door.

I'm a granddad btw! Same birthday as Tony.

Good riding with ya today.

mcteague
03-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Ok, stuck everything together in a bit of a hurry. Rode it for a couple hours, seemed more harsh than my 586.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1796465_10152655124689325_1158188616_n.jpg

I test road a Z5 last year and that was my opinion as well. Also did not like the near total lack of road feel. However, this was my first all carbon test ride as I had ridden only steel and Ti prior to getting my 622 SLX.

Tim