PDA

View Full Version : OT-Favorite covers of Gram Parsons tunes

chrisroph
01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Name your favorite covers of tunes by the late great Gram Parsons, former Byrd on Sweetheart of the Rodeo and founding member of the Flying Burrito Brothers. Ther are so many good ones but some of my favorites are:

She--Emmylou Harris.
Sleepless Nights--Elvis Costello.
Return of the Grievous Angel--Lucinda Williams and David Crosby.

quaintjh
01-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Wheels by Dwight Yoakum

But you're right... ELH's She is the best, but Luxury Liner is mighty fines as well.

Jay

Fixed
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
bro I ride by grams place everyday it's a bed and breakfest he was from around here cheers

William
01-30-2006, 02:30 PM
For a split second there I was thinking, "Sheesh, There's only one song to cover." Then "hu, huh huh huh"......I was thinking Alan Parson Project.

Truly a Truman Sparks moment. :crap: :D :crap: :D

William

Fixed
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
bro hickory wind cheers :beer:

BumpyintheBurgh
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Gram Parsons...what a sad story, dead at 27 in 1973 of a drug/alcohol overdose. A strange ending... after GP's death, his road manager hijacked his coffin and took his body to the Joshua Tree National Park where he torched it.
He left a legacy of great tunes that have been mentioned and covered by many...He discovered Emmylou Harris, what a beautiful woman and oh that voice. She sings on both the GP and Grievous Angel albums and in the concerts that I have seen, always sings some of his songs. On her debut album, 'Pieces of the Sky', Emmylou wrote the song 'Boulder to Birmingham' in tribute to Gram Parsons...and the song 'Crazy Eyes' by Poco/Richie Furay is supposed to be about Gram Parsons.

chrisroph
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Gram wrote some beautiful songs in his too short life and career. His performance were also haunting. His duets with Emmylou are fantastic and Return of the Grievous Angel is one of my desert isle albums. Anybody who likes people like Ryan Adams, Wilco, Buddy and Julie Miller, the Mavericks, Emmylou, Uncle Tupelo, the Jayhawks, Chris Hillman, Steve Earle, I could go on, should listen to some Gram.

chrisroph
02-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Who sang harmony with Gram on most of the songs on gilded palace of sin?

BumpyintheBurgh
02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm guessing Chris Hillman. There were many personnel changes during the Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros days so it's hard to remember who's who. I was just finishing up college, getting drafted and on my way to Vietnam during this time. There was some great music being made during the late 60's early 70's. Try to remember all of the cast of characters, the bands and the personnel connections among the various groups that were spawned during that period with the emerging country-folk rock era...just using the Chris Hillman connection you have Manassas, the Desert Rose Band, the Souther, Hillman, Furay Band, and McGuinn, Clark & Hillman.
If you really want to make some connections go back a little earlier to Buffalo Springfield and their legacy.

christian
02-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Chrisroph, you not only have good taste in bikes, you've got great taste in music.

- Christian

Bill Bove
02-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I've heard a story where Nanci Griffith and Emmy Lou were at a reception in England and apparently snuck off to the loo for a one hitter, later on the Queen asked them about "their special ciggerettes" referring to the clove ciggerette that they were smoking. They thought they were being busted by the Queen.

BumpyintheBurgh
02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I've heard a story where Nanci Griffith and Emmy Lou were at a reception in England and apparently snuck off to the loo for a one hitter, later on the Queen asked them about "their special ciggerettes" referring to the clove ciggerette that they were smoking. They thought they were being busted by the Queen.

Ah, yes the clove ciggerette...and did anyone try to smoke a banana peel after Donovan came out with "Mellow Yellow" back in 1967-68. Didn't do anything for me.