PDA

View Full Version : Boonen!

Argos
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
So the kid's got two wins already. His first two races. It's not even February. Looks like he doesn't believe in any cursed Jersey! Today he pipped Zabel and then Hunter. This is gonna be a great year.

Oh and Props to Zabel for being there both days. He still kicks A$$, too!

http://www.velonews.com/images/int/9438.13662.f.jpg

theprep
01-30-2006, 12:48 PM
He's awesome. I don't know how you can beat this kid.

I'm going to aim my handlebar drops down towards the ground just like him.

cheers,
Prep

Argos
01-30-2006, 12:54 PM
seriously. I saw this 200x200 pixel pic of his first win in Doha and was surprised. His hoods were reaching for the sky!

Hey, if Boonen wants them pointing up.... Then thy point up!

So powerful and consistent and not even in his preime yet! Like a freakin monster!

I can't wait for the Spring Classics!

Hysbrian
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
he's a beast just look at him.

Climb01742
01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
"trains, trains...i don't need no stinking trains." --eric zabel

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
. . . he's been working on those quads.

Wonder what Bruyneel is thinking about now about letting him go?

Is Petacchi racing yet, and will he be going head-to-head with Big Tom anytime soon?

BBD

Fixed
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
bro hail to the new king superstar i.m.h.o. cheers

William
01-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I hope we're not peaking too soon. :bike: ;)

You think maybe his bars just loosened up during the race??? Cause that looks MP to me.

William

Fixed
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
bro I wonder what you know who is going to think about you know what ? cheers :beer:

jerk
01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
bro I wonder what you know who is going to think about you know what ? cheers :beer:

huh? who? where?

jerk

Fixed
01-30-2006, 03:30 PM
bro come on give us the scoop on the hoods .cheers :beer:

coylifut
01-30-2006, 03:36 PM
he's a beast just look at him.

He is a beast. When the day started, those were traditional bend bars. He squezed em extra hard during the sprint which made the drops flat and the hoods tilt up.

I suspect he'll be cloned soon.

Redturbo
01-30-2006, 05:26 PM
bro come on give us the scoop on the hoods .cheers :beer:
I've noticed with some of the stock frames out there if I can't get my bars low enough, tilting them gives me more drop.

turbo

jerk
01-30-2006, 05:47 PM
boonen's a big dude. tilting the bars back give him the ability to get a lower drop but a slightly higher riding position on the hoods. they also position the only usuable part of the drop bar in its preferred location for the sprint. it's what the kids gotta do if they want to use gay bars......boonen is young enough that he's probably never owned a bike with downtube shifters and he probably never used the end of the bars as a primary riding position when one is just hauling along.....he's got the deep in the drop position for sprints and the high pointy hoods for attacking out of the saddle and riding in the group....he is the best rider in a long, long, long time....

ever notice how low boonen's seat is? awesome.

jerk

sellsworth
01-30-2006, 06:07 PM
boonen's a big dude. tilting the bars back give him the ability to get a lower drop but a slightly higher riding position on the hoods. they also position the only usuable part of the drop bar in its preferred location for the sprint. it's what the kids gotta do if they want to use gay bars......boonen is young enough that he's probably never owned a bike with downtube shifters and he probably never used the end of the bars as a primary riding position when one is just hauling along.....he's got the deep in the drop position for sprints and the high pointy hoods for attacking out of the saddle and riding in the group....he is the best rider in a long, long, long time....

jerk

Is a "long, long, long time" the six months or so since Armstrong retired? :)

Moosedryvr
01-30-2006, 06:29 PM
The kid has serious skills...big enough for the northern classics and a sprint that only Ale Jet (I can't spell his name from memory and I'm too lazy to look it up) can touch. It should be fun watching him this year. But, what's up with that lid? There's no orange in the WC jersey and he's from Belgium, not Holland! I hope that that thing doesn't stay around all year! Woof!

SPG

jerk
01-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Is a "long, long, long time" the six months or so since Armstrong retired? :)

boonen is better than armstrong.

jerk

inthegutter
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM

jerk

Perhaps, but to say Lance wasn't a very very good rider ... :rolleyes:

They are /were both fantastic in the respective races.

sellsworth
01-30-2006, 06:45 PM

jerk

Is there a way to support your statement with physiological evidence - like in watts per kilo? Armstrong hit 6.7 and above in peak condition - I doubt that Boonen is there (yet).

theworm
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Perhaps, but to say Lance wasn't a very very good rider ... :rolleyes:

They are /were both fantastic in the respective races.

He never said he wasn't a very very good rider. He just said Boonen was better. Which is true. :)

Argos
01-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Boonen is All-Year-No-Bull$hit-Hardcore-Green-Jersey-Spring-Classics-Gonna-Beat-The-Rest-Cause-He's-The-Best-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread-Eddy-better-Recognize-World-Champ!

Lance is one of the Best Tour Riders. His consistency the rest of the season and his need for Peaking may have been a result of his illness also that we'll never know.

But comparing Year-Round to Build-up-win-and-lay-on-the-beach is not too hard.

Even at his youthful best, Armstrong was great, but never as dominant as Boonen. Look at the Palmeres of Armstron before 26 and compare. Excellent rider. Not Boonen.

e-RICHIE
01-30-2006, 07:59 PM
what's with all the sheets.
was there a sale at bedding barn?

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2006, 08:02 PM
. . . we wonder why they don't like us.

BBD

e-RICHIE
01-30-2006, 08:08 PM
. . . we wonder why they don't like us.

BBD

helloooooooooooooooo BBD
your sense of humor called and wants to come home atmo. :beer:

manet
01-30-2006, 08:18 PM
helloooooooooooooooo BBD
your sense of humor called and wants to come home atmo. :beer:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=sense+of+humor&category0=

e-RICHIE
01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=sense+of+humor&category0=
tour de http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=sheets

coylifut
01-30-2006, 08:32 PM

jerk

why is boonen's low seat awesome? I'm not educated in such things.

manet
01-30-2006, 08:36 PM

http://65.254.88.134/girlbenchcrack-thumb.jpg

e-RICHIE
01-30-2006, 08:38 PM
http://65.254.88.134/girlbenchcrack-thumb.jpg

that was one effin' erudite post atmo.

manet
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
that was one effin' erudite post atmo.

http://bschiff55.f2o.org/blog/wp-content/images/sagdiagram.jpg

sellsworth
01-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Boonen is All-Year-No-Bull$hit-Hardcore-Green-Jersey-Spring-Classics-Gonna-Beat-The-Rest-Cause-He's-The-Best-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread-Eddy-better-Recognize-World-Champ!

Lance is one of the Best Tour Riders. His consistency the rest of the season and his need for Peaking may have been a result of his illness also that we'll never know.

But comparing Year-Round to Build-up-win-and-lay-on-the-beach is not too hard.

Even at his youthful best, Armstrong was great, but never as dominant as Boonen. Look at the Palmeres of Armstron before 26 and compare. Excellent rider. Not Boonen.

Ok - so maybe Boonen will have a better palmares than Armstrong and will be more dominant over the entire year. But I don't think that we can yet say that Boonen is or will be a "better" cyclist than Armstrong, especially if raw ability (physiology) is compared. If Armstrong had been on a better team in his youth and lived in Europe full time he would have won many more Classics.

And I think the Tour de France is ultimate gauge of success in cycling (even in Europe) and I don't see Boonen winning more than flat stages and a few green jerseys. I think that most professional cylists would trade a couple dozen Classics victories for seven in a row in the Tour.

BBB
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
How does one quantify better?

In this case we are comparing apples with oranges.

Any debate over who is better between Armstrong and Boonen is going to be skewed by the hold the TdF has over the whole cycling calender.

e-RICHIE
01-30-2006, 09:06 PM
How does one quantify better?

In this case we are comparing apples with oranges.

Any debate over who is better between Armstrong and Boonen is going to be skewed by the hold the TdF has over the whole cycling calender.

i say we subject them both to a dance marathon.

shinomaster
01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
You never know...Boonan could turn into a train-wreck of a mess like Frank Vandenbroucke.

pdxmech13
01-30-2006, 09:31 PM
You never know...Boonan could turn into a train-wreck of a mess like Frank Vandenbroucke.

mainly because boonen has potential that VDB
could have only dreamed about. That chump had
one good year and lets not forget he tested positve that
same year.

fiamme red
01-30-2006, 09:32 PM
i say we subject them both to a dance marathon.Then there's the short and easy way:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=lance+armstrong&word2=tom+boonen

Not even close. LANCE clobbers Boonen.

Fixed
01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
bro they both are great but only one is great right now .i.m.h.o. boonen is the kind of racer any american racer would like to be like. a sprinter who is not just a sprinter he can ride off the front .cheers :beer:

manet
01-30-2006, 09:42 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=tom+boonen&word2=xaviera+hollander

BBB
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Well if Google is the way to go, then this year's TdF is going to be a yawn.

Ullrich walks all over Basso. See:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=ivan+basso&word2=jan+ullrich

Argos
01-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Uh... I do not get the sheet thing. Am I naive? Is it like the "WWJD?"?

And as far as comparing, it is like Campy v. Shimano or Chocolate v. Peanut butter, or Yankees v. Mets.... Well ok, Mets lose clearly , but you see what I'm saying. It's too subjective and my claims were of no more consequence then a Monday Morning QB Rubbing your face in it when your team gets clobbered or making excuses when my team loses.

It's all silly.

I will say that I think the TdF, while still The most important single race on the calender, may experience a little burn-out or hangover now that Lance is done. it may even have had one last year.
Spectator wise, enough is enough. I enjoyed the Giro on RAI in Italian more then I enjoyed the last Tour, though it was fun to watch.

And as far as careers, let me start by saying my comparison post earlier in this thread was, I'm pretty sure, the first time I've mentioned Lance. I do not do it and I do not like to do it cause it brings out all sorts of ridiculous posts to even mention his name.

Now that that is said...

***?!?! The guy couldn't stop at 5? Or 6? Not enough? He had the power to attempt the hour record and they would've carried it on NB-fricken-C! People would've bought track bikes by the container ship! Velodromes would've been like 7-11's! It woulda been Madison Racing at Madison Square Garden again.
He could have done the classics for a season. Won some, lost some. He could've shown people that not all events in cycling last 21 days and that some are the equivalent of the Baja 1000 in the Winter. He coulda showed American kids how to win AND lose with Grace. He could've worn the World Championship Jersey again, well, at least tried.... Boonen would've handed him his butt :D but he could've tried.

I respected him more after 6 when he said he was gonna do other things. It went away a bit when he instead focused on 7. Representing the survivor stuff is important, but it's HIS cycling career. He could've done more at the end to broaden the sport base in the states, change the way he'll be remembered.

OK, that's out of my system.

sellsworth
01-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Uh... I do not get the sheet thing. Am I naive? Is it like the "WWJD?"?

And as far as comparing, it is like Campy v. Shimano or Chocolate v. Peanut butter, or Yankees v. Mets.... Well ok, Mets lose clearly , but you see what I'm saying. It's too subjective and my claims were of no more consequence then a Monday Morning QB Rubbing your face in it when your team gets clobbered or making excuses when my team loses.

It's all silly.

I will say that I think the TdF, while still The most important single race on the calender, may experience a little burn-out or hangover now that Lance is done. it may even have had one last year.
Spectator wise, enough is enough. I enjoyed the Giro on RAI in Italian more then I enjoyed the last Tour, though it was fun to watch.

And as far as careers, let me start by saying my comparison post earlier in this thread was, I'm pretty sure, the first time I've mentioned Lance. I do not do it and I do not like to do it cause it brings out all sorts of ridiculous posts to even mention his name.

Now that that is said...

***?!?! The guy couldn't stop at 5? Or 6? Not enough? He had the power to attempt the hour record and they would've carried it on NB-fricken-C! People would've bought track bikes by the container ship! Velodromes would've been like 7-11's! It woulda been Madison Racing at Madison Square Garden again.
He could have done the classics for a season. Won some, lost some. He could've shown people that not all events in cycling last 21 days and that some are the equivalent of the Baja 1000 in the Winter. He coulda showed American kids how to win AND lose with Grace. He could've worn the World Championship Jersey again, well, at least tried.... Boonen would've handed him his butt :D but he could've tried.

I respected him more after 6 when he said he was gonna do other things. It went away a bit when he instead focused on 7. Representing the survivor stuff is important, but it's HIS cycling career. He could've done more at the end to broaden the sport base in the states, change the way he'll be remembered.

OK, that's out of my system.

I suspect that going for number 7 had a lot to do with getting the sponsorship of Discovery Channel. To get them as a sponsor Lance had to commit to one more Tour and he decided not to take a year off.

lnomalley
01-31-2006, 12:53 AM
i'm with the jerk on this one. that kid is a cyclist supreme and much more on a bike than lance. the tdf is an amazing race, but not the entire sport.

Climb01742
01-31-2006, 03:45 AM

whether it's awesome, i can't say, but i read that his seat is 2cm lower than where it is "supposed" to be (tom said this himself). he feels he generates more power with his seat lower. perhaps michael johnson is an analogy. his very upright running position was considered all f'ed up, but clyde hart, his coach, was wise enough to leave him alone, and MJ went on to run the 200/400 faster than anyone will for decades.

Fixed
01-31-2006, 09:01 AM
bro he wins today too 2 in a row .cheers :beer:

coylifut
01-31-2006, 09:45 AM
whether it's awesome, i can't say, but i read that his seat is 2cm lower than where it is "supposed" to be (tom said this himself). he feels he generates more power with his seat lower. perhaps michael johnson is an analogy. his very upright running position was considered all f'ed up, but clyde hart, his coach, was wise enough to leave him alone, and MJ went on to run the 200/400 faster than anyone will for decades.

thank you. btw I loved watching MJ run the 400 in those gold shoes.

saab2000
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Boonen will be able to do whatever he wants, including climb Tour de France mountains. He might never win 7 Tours, or even 1, but I bet he could if he wants to. He is the most talented guy to hit the scene in a long, long time.

theworm
01-31-2006, 11:43 AM
bro he wins today too 2 in a row .cheers :beer:

He's won the last five races he's been in: The Worlds, Curacao, Doha, and both stages in Qatar.

manet
01-31-2006, 12:18 PM
aye + aye

ClutchCargo
01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Boonen will be able to do whatever he wants, including climb Tour de France mountains. He might never win 7 Tours, or even 1, but I bet he could if he wants to. He is the most talented guy to hit the scene in a long, long time.

bro where's his climbing ability??? he's kind of a big guy, no?

he might get there -- no doubt he's talented and determined (reminds me of Bode Miller :D ) -- but he's no climber at this point. and bro you have to climb to win a gran tour, no?

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
. . . will deliberately running your seat too low now replace Lance's faster cadence as the "cycling fad of the year?"

BBD

theworm
01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
bro where's his climbing ability??? he's kind of a big guy, no?

he might get there -- no doubt he's talented and determined (reminds me of Bode Miller :D ) -- but he's no climber at this point. and bro you have to climb to win a gran tour, no?

There was an article a month or so ago, I think it was on cyclingnews where Boonen's doctor said that he could be a grand tour contender in a few years if he trained for it, lost some of that weight. But Boonen said he only wants to race another five years, so no chance of that happening.

ClutchCargo
01-31-2006, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=theworm] . . . Boonen's doctor said that he could be a grand tour contender in a few years if he trained for it, lost some of that weight. /QUOTE]

yikes, Bode was right after all ! :banana:

PeterW
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Boonen in last year's PR was . . . ah, I'm getting weepy. I love this guy. Toying with the local (in South Carolina) fav the way he did.

Anyway, also read the bit about his seat too low. In same article, photo of his Classics rig. Anyone know what wheels those were?

Black rims. 32 f, 36 rear. Look like Campy hubs. Anyone know?

lnomalley
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
i still think sometimes we americans focus too much on the tour. now, don't get me wrong the tour is an amazing epic and worthy of the atttention it gets. but for me... cycling IS the great one day classics. Belgian cycling is cycling.

There is so much going on in a classic race...

and another thing that i think is amazing.. even if he has lost a little top end.. don't you think it's amazing that Zabel is always there in the mix, in the last meters? for god's sake i dropped a chain in the sprint on sunday (already racing out here) .. and was a good 30 feet back from the guy that won... stuff happens sometimes and you just miss the vital last few meters... but .. zabel is always right there.neber a mistake or loss of focus (or atleast very rarely). isn't that impressive? you know how hard it is to alway be there... and he is always there.

but yeah, boonen... amazing.

saab2000
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Where was Lance's climbing ability in the early part of his career?

Boonen could win the Tour if he wanted. But like someone said, there is more than the Tour. He has already won a bunch of big races and is bound to win a bunch more.

ClutchCargo
01-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Where was Lance's climbing ability in the early part of his career?

Boonen could win the Tour if he wanted. But like someone said, there is more than the Tour. He has already won a bunch of big races and is bound to win a bunch more.

got it, thnx. though I think it's somewhat conclusory to state flatly that he 'could win it if he wanted' (it would be fun to watch him try, for sure), I have another question. presumably it's easier for a power rider like him to 'learn' to time trial than to do the things necessary to become a tour level climber, but I don't recall seeing him up there in time trial results (maybe because whenever he's doing them he's taking it easy, saving for the next mass sprint finish). but anyway, how good has he been in the 'race of truth'?

TT on!

Argos
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
I think you answered your own question.

Same way supporting mtn goats just try to preserve their time, Boonen normally rides to finish by a cut-off, but is rarely in contention, knowing his paychecks tend to be picked up after a sprint finish, not a TT, at least at this point in his career.

saab2000
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I have no idea how he is in TTing. But I am sure that he would be pretty good if he tried. Most of those guys can be solid in it if they want, and Boonen really is an exceptional talent.

BTW, I feel solid calling his future Tour victories. I called his Paris-Roubaix victory and his World Championship victory before they happened!! :D

Yeah, tooting my own horn here, but calling victories of the most talented rider of his generation doesn't take too much.

But I do feel that Boonen will be able to win any race he chooses to, including stage races, hilly classics (L-B-L) and even the Tour.

Just my $.02

gasman
01-31-2006, 02:00 PM

and another thing that i think is amazing.. even if he has lost a little top end.. don't you think it's amazing that Zabel is always there in the mix, in the last meters? for god's sake i dropped a chain in the sprint on sunday (already racing out here) .. and was a good 30 feet back from the guy that won... stuff happens sometimes and you just miss the vital last few meters... but .. zabel is always right there.neber a mistake or loss of focus (or atleast very rarely). isn't that impressive? you know how hard it is to alway be there... and he is always there.

Yea here, here. Zabel is just the consumate professional. It is amazing he has been doing this year after year. He manages to find the motivation and prepare even though he seems to be past his prime sprinting ability. I love the guy. If Jan had Zabel's mindset he might have made a great career even better.

BreakwindSports
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
As a solo rider, Boonen is rather good...or good enough to ride away from Peter, Eric, and two of their fine friends to win Flanders.... Not a TT, but some would judge it a fine piece of solo riding.

The team we manage has been looking for a rider with these breakaway capabilities for some time, and has contacted several potential candidates...however, they have all rejected all inquiries, apparently having some issues with our reputation for cheques not clearing and equipment being periodically repossesed....

72gmc
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
thank you. btw I loved watching MJ run the 400 in those gold shoes.

As a former (very former) 400 meter runner and onetime anchor of a 4x200 relay team, MJ in the gold shoes was one of the lifelong highlights of the Olympics for me. I know it's not an entirely fair comparison, but imo Donovan Bailey couldn't hold a candle to the "fast" MJ uncorked for that 200 meter final. Incredible.

Boonen seems to have the same kind of unprecedented ability... I'd frankly like to see him stick to classics.

Fixed
01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
bro is boonen is 6'4" 176 lbs ? that is a big guy cheers :beer:

Climb01742
01-31-2006, 03:06 PM
MJ in the gold shoes was one of the lifelong highlights of the Olympics for me.

the night when MJ smashed the WR in the 200...with everyone expecting him to uncork something magical...and then he did...and his face when he looked back and saw the clock...surprising even him...in that race, at that moment, i think he pushed the human body as far and as fast as muscle and bone can withstand. it still gives me chills.

yeehawfactor
01-31-2006, 03:11 PM
bro is boonen is 6'4" 176 lbs ? that is a big guy cheers :beer:
i didn't believe you, but then i found this
http://velonews.com/galleries/Contest4b/Boonen-Hincapie%20on%20the%20Manyunk%20Wall%20-%202002%20USPRO%20Championship%20-%20by%20Marc%20Barbe.jpg

manet
01-31-2006, 04:45 PM
i didn't believe you, but then i found this
http://velonews.com/galleries/Contest4b/Boonen-Hincapie%20on%20the%20Manyunk%20Wall%20-%202002%20USPRO%20Championship%20-%20by%20Marc%20Barbe.jpg

bro did sean kelly fit him?

theworm
01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I do know that Boonen was 40th in the opening TT of the TdF, somewhere around 2 minutes behind Zabriskie. Not bad, but he'd need a shorter prologue if he wants to sprint into the yellow jersey (which is, at this point, the only purpose of a TT for him).

Zabel is amazing. The guy can really position himself for a sprint. He has no train like Boonen and Hunter, yet still gets there in the end. On Monday he was in the lead break all day with no teammates to help.

jerk
01-31-2006, 06:12 PM
a time trial is nothing like a sprint.

jerk

Fixed
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
bro didn't jaja start out a sprinter ? cheers :beer:

jerk
01-31-2006, 06:28 PM
bro didn't jaja start out a sprinter ? cheers :beer:

yes he did. boonen didn't. he's not a pure sprinter. he's just so much more powerful than anyone else. when he wins in a sprint it's generally because it's a calculated bet. in paris-roubaix last year he could have ridden away at any time....like he did in flanders.

as for his "fit"....the postal bikes always looked a tad weird under him. his time looks better.

jerk

sellsworth
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
yes he did. boonen didn't. he's not a pure sprinter. he's just so much more powerful than anyone else. when he wins in a sprint it's generally because it's a calculated bet. in paris-roubaix last year he could have ridden away at any time....like he did in flanders.

as for his "fit"....the postal bikes always looked a tad weird under him. his time looks better.

jerk

Why didn't he ride away in P-R? Did he figure that he could easily win the sprint with the group that he was in?

If I had the power to ride away I would certainly do it rather than risk the sprint, especially on a velodrome.

theworm
01-31-2006, 07:01 PM
a time trial is nothing like a sprint.

jerk

I meant that if the prologue was shorter, he could get close enough that he could get the yellow jersey by winning a flat stage and getting the time bonus.

jerk
01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Why didn't he ride away in P-R? Did he figure that he could easily win the sprint with the group that he was in?

If I had the power to ride away I would certainly do it rather than risk the sprint, especially on a velodrome.

because he wanted to win in a sprint. he was the strongest either way.

jerk

e-RICHIE
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
because he wanted to win in a sprint. he was the strongest either way.

jerk

man you're a smart cat.
i dub you this message board's virtual johan bruyneel atmo cheers. :beer:

jerk
01-31-2006, 07:23 PM
man you're a smart cat.
i dub you this message board's virtual johan bruyneel atmo cheers. :beer:

that's why they pay the jerk the big bucks.

jerk

Argos
02-01-2006, 09:29 AM
3 for 3 today!

World champion Tom Boonen (Quick Step) maintained his perfect start to the Tour of Qatar with victory in Wednesday's 160km third stage.

The 25-year-old Belgian once again beat Germany's Erik Zabel (Milram) and Matti Breschel (CSC) of Denmark to add to his wins in the first two stages.

Reflecting on another good day's work, Boonen, who has a 12-second lead over Zabel in the overall standings, said: "It was really hard over the last four kilometers into the wind."

The blustery conditions were to blame for a series of changes in front throughout the race around Doha. At one point Boonen's teammate Kevin Van Impe was at the head of affairs.

"I would have liked to have offered him (the stage) as a present but with the wind it was difficult for the attackers," said Boonen.

Top 10 results
Stage
1. Tom Boonen (B), Quick Step, 160km in 3:34:50
2. Erik Zabel (G), Milram, same time
3. Mickael Breschel (Den), CSC, s.t.
4. Paride Grillo (I), Panararia Ceramiche-Navigare, s.t.
5. Robert Forster (G), Gerolsteiner, s.t.
6. Steven de Jongh (Ned), s.t.
7. Wouter Van Mechelen (B), Chocolade Jacques-T Interim. s.t.
8. Nico Eeckhout (B), Eeckhout, s.t.
9. Stuart O'Grady (Aus), CSC, s.t.
10. Bernhard Eisel (A), Française des Jeux, all same time

Overall (after three stages)
1. Tom Boonen (B), Quick Step, 10:02:00
2. Erik Zabel (G), Milram, at 0:12
3. Aurelien Clerc (Swi), Phonak, at 0:18
4. Robert Hunter (RSA), Phonak, at 0:26
5. Matti Breschel (Den), CSC, at 0:27
6. Steven De Jongh (Ned), Quick Step, s.t.
7. Nicolas Jalabert (F), Phonak, at 0:29
8. Fabrizio Guidi (I), Phonak, at 0:30
9. Nick Ingels (B), Davitamon-Lotto, s.t.
10. Aart Vierhouten (Ned), Skil-Shimano, s.t.

sellsworth
02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd love to see Boonen and Valverde go mano-a-mano in a hilly Classic this year. If they came in together the sprint would be very interesting. If Valverde could hurt Boonen on the climbs (which I think he would) he could take the sprint. Valverde says that he wants to do L-B-L this year, I don't know if he plans to do Flanders.

fiamme red
02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
3 for 3 today!Again, Zabel is 2nd. You have to admire his consistency.

Fixed
02-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I'd love to see Boonen and Valverde go mano-a-mano in a hilly Classic this year. If they came in together the sprint would be very interesting. If Valverde could hurt Boonen on the climbs (which I think he would) he could take the sprint. Valverde says that he wants to do L-B-L this year, I don't know if he plans to do Flanders.
bro I disagree boonen is to stong i.m.h.o.

sellsworth
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
bro I disagree boonen is to stong i.m.h.o.

Well, there certainly a lot you who have your chamois all bunched up and lathered over this guy Boonen.

I say Valverde is a better overall rider because he can sprint nearly as well as Boonen and can climb a lot better. This doesn't mean that he'll win more than Boonen just that he's better overall.

e-RICHIE
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Well, there certainly a lot you who have your chamois all bunched up and lathered over this guy Boonen.

I say Valverde is a better overall rider because he can sprint nearly as well as Boonen and can climb a lot better. This doesn't mean that he'll win more than Boonen just that he's better overall.

i don't "get" the last sentence.

sellsworth
02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
i don't "get" the last sentence.

By "overall rider" I mean one who can compete in more than one-day races and flat courses in stage races (like Boonen). Valverde has an amazing capacity to climb and sprint. This combination of aerobic and anaerobic ability is rare and it should translate into a great career.

manet
02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.zoellis.com/images/overalls.gif

e-RICHIE
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
By "overall rider" I mean one who can compete in more than one-day races and flat courses in stage races (like Boonen). Valverde has an amazing capacity to climb and sprint. This combination of aerobic and anaerobic ability is rare and it should translate into a great career.

cool. the spanish need a hopeful. ola? :beer:

Fixed
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM

bro I think valverde is great and i think he is a dark horse fav. for a tour win I just think boonen is a much better classics rider i.m.h.o. that's all

Fixed
02-03-2006, 09:35 AM
bro he won again and the g.c. and the race cheers :beer:

fiamme red
02-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Zabel second yet again! And second in overall, too.

theworm
02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/feb06/feb04news

Looks like Boonen and Petacchi will be going head to head at the GP Costa degli Etruschi tomorrow.