View Full Version : Gravel Riding by Jan Heine, Editor, Bicycle Quarterly

cnighbor1
02-05-2014, 09:42 PM
here is an interesting article
Charles

''Gravel Riding
by Jan Heine, Editor, Bicycle Quarterly

GravelHelens

Gravel Grinding is the new "hot" trend in cycling. I am very excited about this. Riding on gravel is great fun. A friend who was a telemark skier had a T-shirt: "Free your heel and your mind will follow." I get a similar feeling when my tires are freed to slip a little on gravel.

Gravel roads usually see only little traffic, and they often traverse very scenic landscapes. This makes for a relaxing and beautiful cycling experience. And the bikes that are suitable for gravel also make wonderfully versatile road bikes, since they have clearances for wider tires (and fenders).

BQcover32LR

Riding on gravel isn't new, of course. Until the 1950s, cycling in the mountains usually meant riding on gravel. At Bicycle Quarterly, we've been exploring gravel roads for more than a decade. Back then, we rode a 1952 Jo Routens on gravel roads in the Cascades (above). It's fun to think back on it: That year we even organized an "off-pavement brevet". About a dozen people showed up, and we had a great time. Most of the riders were cyclocross racers, probably because most randonneurs didn't have bikes yet that could be ridden long distances on gravel.

Maybe the bikes were the limiting factor and the reason why "off-pavement brevets" didn't really catch on then. The Deerfield Dirt Road Randonnée (D2R2) in Massachusetts was an exception (although it's not an official brevet), and it contributed a lot toward popularizing riding on unpaved roads. Now that gravel riding is becoming more popular, there is talk about organizing more official off-pavement brevets.

HetreGravel

In the decade since that first article, we've taken more and more trips and rides on unpaved roads. Many of our bike tests now include rides on gravel, if the bikes are suitable for it. Of course, the bulk of our test riding is on pavement, but we simply enjoy riding on those remote roads so much that we take every opportunity to get a little gravel under our wheels. Even on shorter rides, we often include an unpaved section along the way.

jan_herse_gravel

One of the most exciting things we have found is that the same bikes that work so well on pavement also are ideally suited to unpaved roads. My René Herse has excelled on the paved roads of Paris-Brest-Paris, yet the same bike has performed wonderfully on many gravel rides (above). The wide tires that offer such great cornering on pavement also float over hardpack and gravel with amazing grace and pace.

If there is one thing that I don't like about "gravel grinding," it's that particular name. "Grinding" seems to imply that it's hard and slow, yet with the right bike, riding on gravel comes with the same effortless speed as riding on pavement. For me, it's about experiencing the ride more than about the road surface: the breeze, the fleeting light on the trees, the feedback from the bike underneath me, and the "taste of the effort," as the French called it. It just happens that gravel roads have expanded our universe where we can experience these joyous feelings.''

druptight
02-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Not sure how legit it is to paste this in without linking to it.

AnthonyC
02-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Here (http://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/gravel-riding/) is the link to the original, should anyone want to check out the original.

William
02-06-2014, 06:57 AM
I think "Gravel Grinding" has become more popular as an adjunct to cross racing/riding. Cross has been rising in popularity in the States and it's not a big jump at all to the mindset of "why not" ride off road. If you ride cross you do it all the time, if you watch cross it just looks so dang fun. I think cross has had more impact than the D2R2 (which I'm not putting down at all) in getting people to think more about getting off pavement.

Just my $0.02.:)

William

Sheldon4209
02-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Last winter I stayed at a motel in northern Florida. The next morning I saw four guys packing their motorcycles to leave. I talked to them and noticed that they were riding dirt bikes. When I asked about the dirk bikes they explained that they tour on gravel roads. They have maps and ride gravel whenever possible. Their last tour was about 600 miles and only 80 miles on gravel. Their must be a motorcycle trend to ride gravel as well.

Gummee
02-06-2014, 09:13 AM
here must be a motorcycle trend to ride gravel as well.
Yup. There's a site dedicated to it too! www.advrider.com (and others)

There's a Trans America Trail, a Trans VA trail, and other dirt road moto tour trails. Some of em can probably be done on a bicycle...

M

GRAVELBIKE
02-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Gravel biking is dumb. Don't do it. No good will come of it.

umami
02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Finally a voice of reason. Without very specific geometry and features, gravel riding is dangerous and miserable. Stick to the pavement or MTB trails. Leave gravel alone.

I tried it once and it was horrible. I swear.

Turn back now.

Don't do it.

You'll put your eye out.

redir
02-06-2014, 10:31 AM
I really don't get this gravel riding trend. I pretty much have to ride on some gravel roads where I live but I certainly don't seek them out and I wouldn't ever consider getting a bike specifically to ride gravel. My road bike does well enough on it.

I guess I just don't get it.

MattTuck
02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I can see the allure of gravel riding, though I think there is a lot of hype around it, to sell people an extra bike. Especially for folks who live in the city or suburbs -- the idea of empty dirt roads probably seems romantic. Where I live, riding on dirt or gravel is a regular part of my riding. Perhaps I need to buy a new bike for it. :rolleyes:

umami
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
This is not a discussion about dirt. That is MTB-only territory. Keep your gravel grinder on pure gravel or it could explode, or worse.

Clearly, you have some things to learn about bicycles.

Mr. Pink
02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I really don't get this gravel riding trend. I pretty much have to ride on some gravel roads where I live but I certainly don't seek them out and I wouldn't ever consider getting a bike specifically to ride gravel. My road bike does well enough on it.

I guess I just don't get it.

I agree, but, I am planning a trip to Tuscany, and it sounds like I'd be missing a lot with a pure road bike over there. No way I want to ride on gravel with skinny tires, though. I'm hoping I can find a cross bike over there to rent for a few days.

JAGI410
02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Gravel biking is dumb. Don't do it. No good will come of it.

Agreed. The only thing dumber than gravel biking is gravel grinding.:banana:

christian
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
No way I want to ride on gravel with skinny tires, though.I ride gravel every week with my Colnago. It has 25mm tubulars. Every so often they knife in just a little bit, but it's never scary. Unless you're talking 1 1/2" large-aggregate logging roads in the PNW, I don't think there's any issue riding gravel roads on a road bike.

redir
02-06-2014, 12:59 PM
I agree, but, I am planning a trip to Tuscany, and it sounds like I'd be missing a lot with a pure road bike over there. No way I want to ride on gravel with skinny tires, though. I'm hoping I can find a cross bike over there to rent for a few days.

Yeah so that's the cross bike is for right? Or an older racing bike or a modern custom one I suppose. I just think it's silly that they actually make bikes specifically for gravel and I got a lotta bikes too. Or am I mistaken? Are they just saying that these are cross bikes?

Sounds like a nice trip.

Kirk Pacenti
02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I ride gravel every week with my Colnago. It has 25mm tubulars. Every so often they knife in just a little bit, but it's never scary. Unless you're talking 1 1/2" large-aggregate logging roads in the PNW, I don't think there's any issue riding gravel roads on a road bike.

Agreed. Did tons of this in the mountains of Santa Cruz on 25mm clinchers; never had a problem... though the roads were actually more dirt than gravel.

commonguy001
02-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Yup. There's a site dedicated to it too! www.advrider.com (and others)

There's a Trans America Trail, a Trans VA trail, and other dirt road moto tour trails. Some of em can probably be done on a bicycle...

M

In the Midwest we have both the Trans Wisconsin and Trans Minnesota trails. Both have great sections to hit by pedal bike or moto. Quite a bit of the northern WI sections are heavy enough you wouldn't want skinny tires and a few sections of the MN trail wouldn't work well on them either.

David Tollefson
02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Unless you're talking 1 1/2" large-aggregate logging roads in the PNW...

And thus my "all-road" bike.

cnighbor1
02-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Not sure how legit it is to paste this in without linking to it.
Has I am an architect and took engineering writing in college it is legal
I needed to add source at bottom however
Note quotes marks and reference to writer
With the advent of the web the whole world of copy rights has become a bit of a mess. quoting my daughter the Masters in Librarian

cnighbor1
02-06-2014, 04:15 PM
In miles I rode I enjoyed gravel grinding, but I keep the speed below 15 mph has you can plow into a deep patch of gravel and it is easy to start to loss control
going around a curve was always fun has gravel would build up on outside and inside. Dust another factor
but still fun to do
and it sure opens a lot more areas to ride

witcombusa
02-06-2014, 04:26 PM
I think "Gravel Grinding" has become more popular as an adjunct to cross racing/riding. Cross has been rising in popularity in the States and it's not a big jump at all to the mindset of "why not" ride off road. If you ride cross you do it all the time, if you watch cross it just looks so dang fun. I think cross has had more impact than the D2R2 (which I'm not putting down at all) in getting people to think more about getting off pavement.

Just my $0.02.:)

William

You make the large assumption that people who ride bikes care about racing or specifically, cross.

Folks were riding bikes on dirt roads since there were bikes and dirt roads. It's only the urban cyclists who seem to have "rediscovered" what has never stopped.

krhea
02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Yeah, gravel, cravel, what a dumb idea. Riding bikes on "stones", what fun could that possibly be...

This is where I'll be Sunday along with some of my riding buds:

https://sites.google.com/site/salemgravelgrinder/?utm_content=buffer5fddf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

rwsaunders
02-06-2014, 05:29 PM
There has been so much salt placed on the roads around here this Winter, I might as well be riding on gravel roads.

Ti Designs
02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
I think it's all just an excuse to buy another bike. There's not a bike for every size of pebble, rock, grain or powder. If you're really looking for an excuse to buy another bike, have a bike for each season. I stick to the summer bike and the winter bike (I live in New England, if you want to know if it's summer or winter, look out your window - it's got nothing to do with the calendar, or the groundhog for that matter). But I've realized that this seasonal bike thing has great potential for filling one's garage with bikes. There's a holiday season, football season, tax season, cold and flu season... Why don't we all have 100 bikes?

Louis
02-06-2014, 06:26 PM
IMO, all else being the same, why ride gravel if you can ride pavement?

However, if they're the only way you can find decent scenery without being run off the road by box-jockeys, then go for it.

redir
02-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah, gravel, cravel, what a dumb idea. Riding bikes on "stones", what fun could that possibly be...

https://sites.google.com/site/salemgravelgrinder/?utm_content=buffer5fddf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Looks like a nice local grass roots race ride. I love that stuff. I'll be doing a local grass roots race Saturday too. Fun stuff, doesn't cost anything, and the competition is stiff from pro's on to cat 5's and anyone else.

Frankwurst
02-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Because I have a bike that makes it comfortable and I dig it. I don't ride to go fast or far. I ride for fun and dirt/gravel helps keep it fun. :beer:

Dustin
02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
To me it's about riding somewhere where cars aren't. If the cars were mostly on the dirt roads and not the paved ones, I'd be on the pavement.

It's rad that some do it on 25s, but there is a huge variability in dirt roads: from the smoothish strade bianche of Italy where a race bike is just dandy to the fireroads in these parts with man swallowing ruts that really beg for monster cross.

Louis
02-06-2014, 07:34 PM
I ride for fun

+ a gazillion

Ride whatever is funnest. ;)

Fixed
02-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Remember the days when pros would get off the bikes and run up short steep hills .
I sometimes walk my g.g. bike if the going gets to tough .:)
Cheers

cnighbor1
02-06-2014, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=krhea;1495527]Yeah, gravel, cravel, what a dumb idea. Riding bikes on "stones", what fun could that possibly be...

A great area to ride Portland OR south
having lived in Seattle I ventured south into Oregon and many wonderful rides. Enjoy Your ride
Charles

PS I have a great route of Southern OR including carter Lake 7 day

umami
02-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Think of the children

William
02-07-2014, 07:47 AM
You make the large assumption that people who ride bikes care about racing or specifically, cross.

It’s not about “caring about racing or cross”, the fact is its popularity has grown immensely exposing more people to riding off pavement. It’s not going to effect the people who were already riding dirt roads, they aren’t the ones jumping on to the “Gravel grinding" band wagon.

Folks were riding bikes on dirt roads since there were bikes and dirt roads. It’s only the urban cyclists who seem to have "rediscovered" what has never stopped.

Yes, exactly my point. People were riding dirt roads before there were paved roads. Until cross, most folks who ride road bikes never thought about going off pavement. Now with the growth of the cross bike market, more people are willing to do some exploring were the pavement ends. I’m not sure why there seems to be a bit of retrogrouchiness about it? If it’s a new niche for the cycling market that gets more people out having fun, spending dollars that helps builders and component manufacturers, then that’s a win/win in my book.

Some of you have stated you don’t need a special bike to go on the dirt, that 25 or 28c on your road bike is just fine. Well, you must be very “wee” ( :) )because at my size and weight a 25 will get shredded and a 28 may last a little longer but I have to keep the pressure high to prevent pinch flats which makes side wall gashes more probable in sharper gravel. I have three bikes: cross, 29er, and a SS. The cross bike I ride on and off road, I run 35’s and I have absolutely no problems keeping up with roadie friends. The larger clearance allows me to run a larger tire which makes riding off road much more comfortable and safe. I like being able to mix it up when I’m out riding. A straight up road bike isn’t going to get me there.

The bottom line for me: If people are having fun and it’s not illegal, let them have fun!

William

William
02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
By the way, it's popular around here as well. A quick search of more recent threads on the subject...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125867&highlight=show

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=143315&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134682&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136856&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130366&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127904&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126861&highlight=gravel

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=120856&highlight=gravel

And this is just the more popular ones, many more are present. It may have always been, but now it's more popular.

William

GRAVELBIKE
02-07-2014, 10:15 AM
FWIW, I weigh 195, and spend a lot of my time riding 25-28mm tires on unpaved roads and trails (more dirt than gravel, admittedly). With tubeless (Hutchinson) 28mm tires, I could easily run 50-60psi and not worry about pinch flats, etc.

William
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
FWIW, I weigh 195, and spend a lot of my time riding 25-28mm tires on unpaved roads and trails (more dirt than gravel, admittedly). With tubeless (Hutchinson) 28mm tires, I could easily run 50-60psi and not worry about pinch flats, etc.

255 - 260 here. Not so great for me.:) I'm just a big dude....35 minimum.

William

Fixed
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Riding a road bike on a road unthinkable :)

tiny
02-07-2014, 12:12 PM

However, if they're the only way you can find decent scenery without being run off the road by box-jockeys, then go for it.

I suspect part of it is where you live geographically... I lived in Iowa City for a year or so, and I'm not sure whether I'd bother riding dirt roads around there. In my limited experience more rural areas of New England have some really beautiful dirt roads that bring you up and down crazy climbs and descents and past beautiful vistas. Plus, the mild squirrelyness of dirt keeps things interesting. What's not to like?

And to be honest, on the D2R2 route, I feel like I've often gotten passed by about as many cars on some insane backcountry road (read: I am from the city and roads that locals consider normal means to get from point A to point B are insane to me) as I have during onroad brevets a little west of that area.