PDA

View Full Version : Anybody at westminster MD swap meet this weekend?

ultraman6970
02-05-2014, 05:38 PM
There is a big swap meet at Westminster MD this weekend, anybody is going? anybody with a booth?

rounder
02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I went there about 5+ years ago and met a bike shop guy selling record 10 parts. Bought the missing parts off ebay and switched from Shimano to Campy. I had liked duraace until then and might still be riding Shimano if not for that. I have been there several times since then and not bought anything. Hit or miss.

ultraman6970
02-05-2014, 08:35 PM
All swap meets are hit or miss :)

zap
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM
hmmmm this weekend. If the weather is crappy maybe I will drive up there. Need some Record 10 parts.

Gummee
02-06-2014, 09:10 AM
2hrs away? Pass

M

bicimechanic
02-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I'll probably go. Not setting up a table but to root around. Found some nice stuff there last year.

avalonracing
02-06-2014, 10:44 AM
It's usually a decent time. There have been some nice deals on some used bikes that the general public brings to sell. Also there was a dealer there last year selling a whole bunch of NOS Klein bikes at some pretty great prices.

laupsi
02-06-2014, 11:01 AM
It's usually a decent time. There have been some nice deals on some used bikes that the general public brings to sell. Also there was a dealer there last year selling a whole bunch of NOS Klein bikes at some pretty great prices.

I really should get my act together and sponsor a table. I've got plenty to unload, some of it really ride worthy too.

ultraman6970
02-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Even for sellers is a hit or miss aswell because if stuff is priced too high the guys wont buy...

Last years we got snow aswell, my best guess is that wont be that bad, well even if is kind'a bad.. .less people, more chances for me hehe

sashae
02-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Yep, will be there. Hopefully have my usual table near the concession stand ;)

ultraman6970
02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Table number?

Like 2 years ago you sold that record C group.

zap
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Also there was a dealer there last year selling a whole bunch of NOS Klein bikes at some pretty great prices.

I noticed that too……if I'm not mistaken he had some carbon composite models as well which were originally marketed in Japan only.

OtayBW
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
I'll be there. Went the last 2 years and meh.

avalonracing
02-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I noticed a couple of you guys are from NY and MA. Are you traveling for this, will you happen to be in town or is your location old?

OtayBW
02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Well - I went over there today, and it was probably the worst I ever saw. Place was completely empty! I'll go back tomorrow when they open at 9:00. :crap:

avalonracing
02-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Well - I went over there today, and it was probably the worst I ever saw. Place was completely empty! I'll go back tomorrow when they open at 9:00. :crap:

Nice one... And you drove from central Massachusetts too!

ultraman6970
02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Are you kidding right?

Either way is not bad idea if you go tomorrow, probably the vendors will show up this time :D

ultraman6970
02-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Last bump...

Cya there guys.

Kingfisher
02-09-2014, 06:36 AM
thinking about going down to w-minister...never been, but been to the trexlertown swap many times...anyone to compare the two..??
thanks

ultraman6970
02-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Never been in the PA one so cant tell.

But what I can tell you is that I noticed less buyers this year, but maybe like 5 or 10% more vendors, compared with last year and if you compare like with 4 or 5 years ago darn... so much buyers that you were not able to walk around peacefully.

This year prices were better IMO.

sashae
02-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I didn't have a huge win of a swap, but was pretty happy -- sold most of the stuff I brought (ultraman I was at table 43 near the big vendors to the left of the room) and picked up some Craft baselayers, good tires, couple of saddles and Thomson posts and a Hollands frameset (yessss.) Not as great as years past (I'm hunting for a few things I didn't find) but as always, worth the trip.

rounder
02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I scored a pair of yellow Pedros tire levers. I was really hoping to find some cassettes, chains and tires. Saw some, but the prices were not right.

But, it was fun and there were a lot of people and participants there. I will go back again.

Saw two John Hollands bikes, one was bright red (huge) and believe the other was a black fade (can't remember for sure).

Also saw a red Mencidino (sp?) with Vecchios decals on it. Next to it was a green Richard Sachs with old style graphics.

OtayBW
02-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Got a Silca Super Pista floor pump for $10.00 (!). There was a Serotta lugged CSI there pretty much in my exact size....I kept walking. :crap:

ultraman6970
02-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Sasha we were close hehehe... probably we saw to each other or something, I was in a table around your isle, cant remember the number. You were close to the due that was selling a bunch of frames???

Scored a few things but I could not find what I was looking for.

Dunno if you guys saw those colombian guys selling a var true stand... when I saw it around 9:30 am that thing was already sold... damm it!

OtayBW
02-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Sasha we were close hehehe... probably we saw to each other or something, I was in a table around your isle, cant remember the number. You were close to the due that was selling a bunch of frames???

Dunno if you guys saw those colombian guys selling a var true stand... when I saw it around 9:30 am that thing was already sold... damm it!
That's who I bought the Silca from. That stand was phenomenal.

gmcampy
02-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Anyone see the guy selling the Pinerello Frame and Fork for $300.00? Was that HOT or was he just CRAZY! Shame it was a 60 or I might have been in trouble when I got home, LOL :no:

gmcampy
02-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Are you kidding right?

Either way is not bad idea if you go tomorrow, probably the vendors will show up this time :D

The place was PACKED on Sunday! Door opened at 0900 and the line was several hundred feet long, thought I was on a Disney ride, glad to see that once inside we didnt have 1 hour more wait to get inside, LOL

sashae
02-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Yeah, couple tables down from the guy selling the Colnago Extreme Power and the two Van Dessels and next to the guy with the Bianchi cross bike and the complete Trek Superfly..

ultraman6970
02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I was the next row closer to the door, almost in front of the pipi room.

Remember the colnago guy... that was next to the guy that was selling campagnolo wheels and other high end stuff like for 10 and 20 bucks, I got a new cinelli giro handlebar with the 1r stem for 10 bucks from him:D, my friend bought like 2 frames and some wheels from the same guy. Had freewheels like for 10 bucks, when I came back the 10 bucks bin was long gone.

The big store in the corner had tons of those 32 headset wrenches, I was waiting till the end and when I came back were all gone damm it!

Saddles, a bunch of fizik ariones like for 15 bucks, clearly were OEM take offs but if somebody liked them was the right time to stock several in your house, I saw like 1 or 2 toupes that were too expensive, went trying to find a mantra, nothing, curiously did not see like a lot of bottle cages this year.

Well my next event is cirque du ciclisme in the summer, trexlertown is too far to drive.

ultraman6970
02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Less public showed up compared with previous years, maybe the snow forecast for sunday??

Te 1st time I went was like 5 years ago and was nuts, you were not able to walk around, the thing was packed with people.

The place was PACKED on Sunday! Door opened at 0900 and the line was several hundred feet long, thought I was on a Disney ride, glad to see that once inside we didnt have 1 hour more wait to get inside, LOL

PaMtbRider
02-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Less public showed up compared with previous years, maybe the snow forecast for sunday??

Te 1st time I went was like 5 years ago and was nuts, you were not able to walk around, the thing was packed with people.

5 years ago they only used half of the building. This year they used the entire building and from my estimates I would say attendance was up.

ultraman6970
02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I think you are right...