PDA

View Full Version : Chorus vs Centaur

mdeeds71
01-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Is there any opinions on Centaur for a build over Chorus...I have Veloce on a CDA that I am racing and have not had any problems. Just pondering the future of the Hors.

Also I have a Colorado II that has Centaur and the front der. shifter (these have less than 200 miles on them) after shifting does not have much holding power...meaning I can pull on the cable after shifting and the shifter allows the cable to come out in notches much like the shifter gearing release. ANy ideas on this?

Mark

PS may be looking for Chorus build kit...relativly new.

buechse
01-30-2006, 06:26 AM
...go for the Chorus. On a bike like a Hors you won't regret the relativly few extra bucks for the Chorus. I rode a Chorus on my CIII for 10.000km and even didn't have to adjust the derrailors. Just perfect. and, in comparison to the Centauer, much better finish, Carbon levers... A friend of mine has a Centaur and it seems to work very well but I would go for the Chorus. I'll put a Chorus on my new Nove as well. Simly good!

Chers,
Peter :beer:

Hysbrian
01-30-2006, 07:33 AM
I've riden centuar for the past year with no problems. I am thinking ok upgrading to chorus on my next bike but would stick with the centuar levers just because they are non-carbon. I feel like when you go down in a race the last thing you want it a carbon lever.

William
01-30-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree. Go with Ultegra over 105. It's a workhorse that you'll love. ;) ;) ;)

William :D

flydhest
01-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Centaur parts are great. I have Record, Chorus, and Centaur on different bikes. My opinion is to get the Centaur if money matters at all. One place where you might think about swapping, however, is the BB/Crankset. The Centaur uses a different BB and has a wider q, at least it feels that way to me when switching among bikes. I too prefer the aluminum shifters to the carbon. Also, if you're on the long, long side of things, you can get 180s from Record but not for other levels.

dbrk
01-30-2006, 08:07 AM
I think there are three criteria: function, aesthetics, and cost. And it takes a combination of the three for me to make different decisions. Function is the easiest of the lot: the "advantages" in performance over 105 are incremental at best. Much of function depends on feel and what you prefer but any one can nail a click and shift just as easily at this "lower" level for years and years to come. Aesthetics draws you in to fashion, so suit yourself. I don't think the carbon or the weight "savings" that comes with the carbon make a darn bit of difference. (Stationary weight is so irrelevant to the quality of the ride that it's little wonder that it is what is sold...) Cost may not matter to you but if it does then I would decide solely on aesthetics because there's not enough functional difference to make the cost difference worth it.

In the past few years the price of bicycle parts has left me, the old enthusiast, with ZERO enthusiasm for the direction of the industry, their putative "improvements", and their disposable technologies. I confess their disaffection affects my opinions. I used to try out frames, consider the newest bit, or even go for wheels (that's where you're really cooked nowadays), but I'm just a "rec" cyclist with Nitto now and not the slightest interest in "race" cyclist bikes or ambitions.

dbrk

Tailwinds
01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I feel like when you go down in a race the last thing you want it a carbon lever.

Interestingly, when I got hit by a car, my carbon Record levers DID take some impact -- heck even my bars were bent pretty badly -- but the shfiters survived with only a few superficial scratches. I was surprised. My Dura-Ace levers never fared that well after crashes.

That being said, I prefer the aesthetics of silver shifters for the new Kirk, so I'll be putting '03 Chorus Al shifters on it -- thank you, Wayne!

flydhest
01-30-2006, 08:55 AM
tailwinds,

interesting contrast--I whacked a side mirror on a car commuting and my carbon shifters were snapped in the body (not the lever itself). Based on this evidence of dubious value I have concluded that the carbon shifters are not as strong. Worth roughly zero as proof, but there we are.

Tailwinds
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Maybe it's not a carbon vs. aluminun issue -- but <gasp!> a Shimano vs. Campy issue! :fight:

William
01-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe it's not a carbon vs. aluminun issue -- but <gasp!> a Shimano vs. Campy issue! :fight:

My DA levers have survived crit crashes, angry Gorillas, and Rhea Basset when she doesn't get her chicken Milk Bones. Conversely, I've seen Campy carbon levers melt in the sun. Go figure. :confused:

William ;) ;)

Tailwinds
01-30-2006, 09:11 AM
My DA levers have survived crit crashes, angry Gorillas, and Rhea Basset when she doesn't get her chicken Milk Bones. Conversely, I've seen Campy carbon levers melt in the sun. Go figure. :confused:

William ;) ;)

William, the truth is that when I have messed up my Dura-Ace levers, the damage has been aesthetic -- but sometimes pretty severe. The levers still functioned, though. They just weren't pretty anymore.

On that note, the wind knocked over my bike while it was leaning up against my car yesterday (gotta love Colorado wind :rolleyes: ), and the scratches on my (new) D-A levers looked more like the results of a higher-speed crash. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, though. I can't keep D-A levers looking new for very long.

William
01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
William, the truth is that when I have messed up my Dura-Ace levers, the damage has been aesthetic -- but sometimes pretty severe. The levers still functioned, though. They just weren't pretty anymore.

On that note, the wind knocked over my bike while it was leaning up against my car yesterday (gotta love Colorado wind :rolleyes: ), and the scratches on my (new) D-A levers looked more like the results of a higher-speed crash. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, though. I can't keep D-A levers looking new for very long.

It gives the bike "character". ;)

William

SoCalSteve
01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I agree. Go with Ultegra over 105. It's a workhorse that you'll love. ;) ;) ;)

William :D

Too funny! Post of the day!!!

Kane
01-31-2006, 02:25 AM
[QUOTE=mdeeds71]
Is there any opinions on Centaur for a build over Chorus...I have Veloce on a CDA that I am racing and have not had any problems. Just pondering the future of the Hors.

Mark,
The second best reason for buying Chorus anywhere is the shifters. The having bearings vs. bushings: blah, blah, blah ... see www.campyonly.com.
The best reason is the carbon fiber levers are warmer on cold mornings. The aesthetics of the levers asside, the function of the carbon to be warmer on cold mornings is a clear advantage.

[QUOTE=mdeeds72]
Also I have a Colorado II that has Centaur and the front der. shifter (these have less than 200 miles on them) after shifting does not have much holding power...meaning I can pull on the cable after shifting and the shifter allows the cable to come out in notches much like the shifter gearing release. ANy ideas on this?

Mark,
Cable and housing are meant to be replaced when they are not set up correctly. Disconnect the front derailleur cable and pull the cable back and forth. Likely, you will feel drag. Always use Campy cable and anybodies housing.

With regards to 105 vs. Ultegra, 'Cycling Weekly's' dissects the differences in the current issue. Based upon there observations, the Ultegra will last longer if you ride the bike.

Cheers,

Kane

P.S.
Use an Ultegra crank: lighter, stronger better shift ramps on the chain rings.

Formerly 'zkampyman'

Tony Prioli
01-31-2006, 05:35 AM
the front der. shifter (these have less than 200 miles on them) after shifting does not have much holding power...meaning I can pull on the cable after shifting and the shifter allows the cable to come out in notches much like the shifter gearing release. ANy ideas on this?

Mark

Sounds like you have bad index springs in the ergo lever, or you may have a front derailer with a super strong return spring. I suggest a new set of ergopower index springs. approx 10.00 in parts. If you can't get a local shop to install them, send the left shifter to me by usps, and I will do it for you N.C.