PDA

View Full Version : Seat height on a bike like this...how does it work

bewheels
02-04-2014, 05:46 AM
I know I have been away from cycling for a few years, but how the heck does a seat height work on a bike like this (below)?

The picture shows the seat to bar drop of about 12" !!!

Is the expectation - the owner needs hack off a certain amount of the seat tube to get things right?

I must be missing something because this seems pretty silly.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/EDD/EDD000F/RED.jpg

thirdgenbird
02-04-2014, 05:57 AM
Integrated seat mast. The top comes off, you cut the tube, and then put the top back on.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Integrated seat mast. The top comes off, you cut the tube, and then put the top back on.

And it is silly. "I've cut it 3 times and it's still too short".

Lewis Moon
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
And it is silly. "I've cut it 3 times and it's still too short".

If you go too short, you must abort.
I know they sell taller caps and all, it just seems like someone's answer to no one's problem....or a way to sell cheaper construction techniques as an "improvement".

Probably the latter.

avalonracing
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
With a little modification one size fits all.

mcteague
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
You mean to say "new" does not automatically mean "better"? You people are silly.
:banana:
Tim

redir
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
I agree it's silly. It will also cut out a lot of the used market which is bad for me.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2014, 02:16 PM
If you go too short, you must abort.
I know they sell taller caps and all, it just seems like someone's answer to no one's problem....or a way to sell cheaper construction techniques as an "improvement".

Probably the latter.

Another place for a decal. And that is oval, so you aren't going to cut, get clamp and seatpost.

ultraman6970
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
12 cm is a lot of drop but remember that is a racing frame not a 3 feet tall front tube bicycle like some of the spech designs.

Measure twice cut once. The other option is to just cut it half way and put a clamp and a seatpost, no idea if you can do that nor if it was designed for it but with some bikes you can go plan C when the seatmast is too short. Personally like seatpost because you never know if that mast or the topper will fail or won't work as they should.

I know I have been away from cycling for a few years, but how the heck does a seat height work on a bike like this (below)?

The picture shows the seat to bar drop of about 12" !!!

Is the expectation - the owner needs hack off a certain amount of the seat tube to get things right?

I must be missing something because this seems pretty silly.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/EDD/EDD000F/RED.jpg