PDA

View Full Version : Conflicts grow over biking in the mountains

kenw
02-04-2014, 12:01 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/lipsher/ci_25038295/conflicts-grow-over-biking-mountains?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com&IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

oldpotatoe
02-04-2014, 06:46 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/lipsher/ci_25038295/conflicts-grow-over-biking-mountains?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com&IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

well, yep.....

Richard
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
I am a mountain biker, road biker and XC skier. Here in the Catskills, there are limited options for groomed ski trails (when there is enough snow...increasingly rare) and a much greater choice for MTB or fat tire bikes to ride in the winter. I, for one, would be extraordinarily angry if a fat tire rider destroyed the groomed ski trails during the few good ski days. As far as I'm concerned, if a fat tire rider needs groomed trails to ride, his or her skills suck and they should park the bike till they learn how to ride a real MTB trail.

dogdriver
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Similar argument in Park City.

http://www.parkrecord.com/sports/ci_25012265/fat-bikes-cyclings-lean-season?source=nav

Funny thing is that there are 3 outstanding ski-only venues (including the 2002 Olympic course) within 20 minutes. This designated multi-use terrain wasn't groomed prior to 3 years ago, now the county rec organization grooms some of the trails (the city bought them a Piston Bully that the ski resort had retired) and the ski community is claiming exclusive rights for use, over the hikers, snowshoers, dog-walkers, and (god forbid) bike geeks. I smile, nod, say hello, pull over if the skater can't stay in 2/3 of the trail, and keep riding.

EchelonLeft
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
I can't see how a biker riding a groomed trail and leaving a continuous trench is any more thoughtless than a snow shoer doing the same thing. No one writes stories about snow shoers being thoughtless. Someone spent time and money grooming the trail, please don't undo their work. Groomed trails are hard to make and upkeep.

That said, the locally groomed cx trail here in south Boulder was suffering from the same type of damage from foot traffic this week. walkers gonna walk, riders gonna ride, idiots gonna idiotate.

gdw
02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
"No one writes stories about snow shoers being thoughtless."

Actually they were 17-18 years ago in Boulder and along the Front Range. Some of the folks in the skiing community felt threatened by the serge in snowshoeing's popularity and the same conflicts arose and similar articles were written.

Boulder is one of the least tolerant cities in the country especially when it comes to trail use. Were you here for the debates over the proposed West TSA bike trail a couple years ago?

oldpotatoe
02-04-2014, 10:00 AM
"No one writes stories about snow shoers being thoughtless."

Actually they were 17-18 years ago in Boulder and along the Front Range. Some of the folks in the skiing community felt threatened by the serge in snowshoeing's popularity and the same conflicts arose and similar articles were written.

Boulder is one of the least tolerant cities in the country especially when it comes to trail use. Were you here for the debates over the proposed West TSA bike trail a couple years ago?

What he said. Know some that go to some of the meetings, to say they were contentious is putting it mildly.

And I neither ski nor snow shoe but skiers complaining about snowshoes gooning up groomed ski trails is common.

dogdriver
02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Good points, EL, and all have been discussed, both on the trail and over beers, ad nauseum.

Comments by a winter-bike buddy in response to the article I linked:

1. My tires don't leave any more of a "rut" than a cross-country ski does when skating.

(Being geeks, we have actually been on our hands and knees with rulers, and the ski tracks are typically deeper than our Big Fat Larry/ Bud/ Lou tracks. If I make any "groove" at all, I either go to the non-groomed trails or go home.)

2. Don't many places intentionally groom two deep "ruts" into the track for classic style skiers? The carnage must be incredible!

3. In an area that is public space with public multi-use trails...

Couldn't agree more that personal responsibility is key. I, however, get a little wigged out when a a specific group of users attempt to co-opt exclusive access of a tax-supported multi-use open space.

All of the above said in the context that if we're getting all huffy about this, life is pretty good...

thwart
02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
All of the above said in the context that if we're getting all huffy about this, life is pretty good...

+100.

We skied this weekend at Blue Mounds, a WI State Park, paid our annual trail pass fee as well as the annual state park users fee.

There were several fat-tire bikers out as well (shorts? 20 degrees? in the snow? :eek:).

Somehow folks were co-enjoying a rare decent winter day (there haven't been many this year) just fine.

Of note is the fact that there are some separate non-groomed trails for hikers/snowshoers...

David Kirk
02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
There are many open use trails groomed here in Bozeman where skiers, snow shoers, and even dog walkers coexist without issue.

I've heard of jerks with fatbikes messing up ski trails that are designated skiing only and I side with the skiers without question on this.

One thing to consider if you haven't ridden a fat bike on snow........it needs to be fairly firm to be fun. You can make it through softer conditions for a short period but it's low on my list of fun things to do. I guess the point being that if it's soft enough to leave a canyon when you re using 4"+ tires it's probably not much fun and you should go elsewhere.

Also interesting to note is that 'soft' snow is all relative..........firm for 4"+ tires is WAY too soft for 2" tires and makes for a nice walk with your bike.

The high here today is going to be below zero - I might not get out. Call me a wimp.

dave

Ken Robb
02-04-2014, 11:43 AM
The high here today is going to be below zero - I might not get out. Call me a wimp.

dave

OK: You're a wimp---but your wife is TOUGH!:banana:

EchelonLeft
02-05-2014, 04:40 PM
gdw "No one writes stories about snow shoers being thoughtless."

So, enlighten me; what changed? How did team snow shoe suddenly get let past the velvet rope of Boulder opinion?

Seriously.

gdw
02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I don't know. I'm a backcountry skier and the ex was partial to snowshoeing so we just ignored the twits and had fun. We read the articles but nobody ever said anything to us. Most of the trail Nazis, like those who oppose the West TSA trail, stay in town or rarely venture beyond the Chautauqua area and the first couple miles of Mesa Trail so they're easy to avoid.