PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria tires

dsimon
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I have been successfully running vittoria Rubino pros for about 4 or 5 years very very happy since I switched from Conti's My question is Im interested in trying the 24mm Open Corsa SR as an everyday training/racing my buds. tire does any one have any experience between the two tires? Thank you:help:

cachagua
02-03-2014, 03:57 PM
The Open Corsa SR seems to be identical to the CX except for the tread, and the 24mm size. I don't know what's attractive about 24mm; given that they offer both 23 and 25. And the tread is, as slick tires show, pretty unimportant -- the best explanation I read is that the "tread" (i.e., unevenness and texture) is in the pavement, so having it in your tire isn't any advantage.

I've used CXs for years, for pleasure riding. They might be a little delicate for commuting, but if your "everyday training and racing" is like mine, I'd say you're fine using them. I switched to the 25s as soon as they introduced them, and I've never looked back, so that's the recommendation I'd give.

rustychisel
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Rubino and Rubino Pro are virtually indestructible in my experience, excellent 'training' tyre, but I've found they're relatively inert (read 'dead feeling' on the road) and on wet pavement they can be lethal. More than most other tyres they seem to reach a point at which they become unstuck and you might as well be riding on rims.

Other higher end Vittoria seem better but I've always found their sideways susceptible (Open Corsa etc) to tearing and the bead area peeling off.

No reason to overlook Continental GP4000s in my experience, but I swear Veloflex Master etc are the best riding tyres of them all.

PQJ
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
on wet pavement they can be lethal. More than most other tyres they seem to reach a point at which they become unstuck and you might as well be riding on rims.

That's good to know - thanks. I just got a pair of rubino pros to try out (funnily enough, also replacing conti's, same as OP).

What good, inexpensive-ish training tire would you recommend for rain?

Mnm1945
02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I find their tires to be too delicate for southern CA. Californians like to store their broken glass on the side off the road particularly in the bike lanes. On a typical 50-75 miles ride I find that I get a flat about 33% of the time whereas almost never with Conti GP4000s. However, the Corsa CX ride quality is superb.

EvanTA
02-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Those Vittorai open corsas are the best clinchers for racing that I've ever ridden. It's true, they wear pretty quickly, and after hearing so many folks complain about their rain performance, I've tried to avoid that use. They belong on race wheels and that's it.

That said, do folks like Conti Grand Prix 4000s in the rain? They are on my training wheels, and it'd be good to know I can just run those if I get a rainy race.

dsimon
02-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I may try them the new open corsas SR they have the iso grip and tread and besides i dont ride in the rain. Im a wimp

rustychisel
02-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Riding in the rain is about 80% technique and probably 20% luck, both in terms of keeping it upright and in avoiding punctures etc.

That said, GP4000s are as good as it gets and a lot better than many, though my personal faves remain Veloflex

Charles M
02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
For the last 8 years I've used Vittoria corsa and open corsa on everything.

I did that because I wanted a level laying field with tires and tire pressures while reviewing things...

That said, I recently put GP 4000 Tubulars and clinchers on familiar wheels just to try and see what I would find.

I actually prefer the ride quality of the new 4000s over the latest Vittoria tires. The grip is at least as good and the feel is good but the tires seem to roll a little smoother. I was honestly surprised, but also pleasantly surprised. I was a little cubbyholed with Vittoria and their availability has been tighter and costs for me have risen enough that I wanted a second choice, but still wanted tires that had similar or the same casing and rubber for both tubular and clincher... Conti have that.

So far, great change.

rustychisel
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
but still wanted tires that had similar or the same casing and rubber for both tubular and clincher... Conti have that.

So far, great change.

That's an interesting point and distinction from someone who uses both.

shovelhd
02-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I race on Vittoria tubulars in the dry but in the rain I use my GP4000s clinchers. I trust them.

Tokeat
02-05-2014, 11:35 PM
I am a heavy user of the clincher and tubular versions of the Corsa SR. They've been great and hold better than the CX on the wet. Rode the GP4000s one season, also a good choice.

wooly
02-06-2014, 02:09 AM
For the last 8 years I've used Vittoria corsa and open corsa on everything.

I did that because I wanted a level laying field with tires and tire pressures while reviewing things...

That said, I recently put GP 4000 Tubulars and clinchers on familiar wheels just to try and see what I would find.

I actually prefer the ride quality of the new 4000s over the latest Vittoria tires. The grip is at least as good and the feel is good but the tires seem to roll a little smoother. I was honestly surprised, but also pleasantly surprised. I was a little cubbyholed with Vittoria and their availability has been tighter and costs for me have risen enough that I wanted a second choice, but still wanted tires that had similar or the same casing and rubber for both tubular and clincher... Conti have that.

So far, great change.

Charles, your opinion holds some weight in my eyes, considering the sheer amount of gear you get to ride. I'm really surprised to hear your opinion on the contis. The last set if continentals I road were the 3000s and really didn't like them. But will so many fans of the 4000 and newer models I may have to try them again. But I've got a handful of veloflex, Vittoria, schwalbe and grand bois to get through first so the contis may have to wait until 2016.

Charles M
02-06-2014, 10:08 AM
I was surprised too... The force driving trying them was actually one of their marketing folks. I know we love to crucify "marketing people" but there are actually several in the game that are long-long time bike guys that really know their stuff... I was at Sea Otter and one of em said "hey, I know you run Vittoria but you should try the new rubber. They're making a better product now". Turns out he was right.

I would have no issue at all still running Vittora and I wouldn't strip off new rubber for the sake of change as the products if I were just consuming them as both are really good...

The down side is that I really don't want variation in what I ride as far as tires (and tubes) and tire pressure, so I'm right at the point that I will have to order 6-8 pairs of tires... I'm going to see if I can get a break from Conti (as it's not going to be cheap to do this) and if I can, I'll switch...

That might sound a bit like selling out, but it's not. It will still wind up costing me a grand+ and I wouldn't spend that money unless I liked the rubber...

Selling out is when you just take what ever someone will send you for free, but there's really no way to accept that variation and still be able to talk reasonably about the ride quality of wheels or bikes with that kind of variable... It's one of my pet peeves that a lot of people never question but really should.

wooly
02-06-2014, 10:37 AM
It will still wind up costing me a grand+ and I wouldn't spend that money unless I liked the rubber...

At least it's a "business" expense. :cool:

Charles M
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
It would be if I were being paid anyhoo :)

technicolor
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
If only Continental made a skinwall like the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC...