PDA

View Full Version : DFW Paceline gathering anyone?

jmoore
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I have talked to several people about a DFW ride sometime but it never seems to happen. So I'm posting this up to actually get something moving.

firerescuefin is moving to DFW at the end of the month, so it seems like a good idea to welcome him with a ride and malted beverage.

I cannot do anything until mid-March, so my suggestion is either Sat Mar 15 or 22. Once we set a date, we can set the route. I have a few good options that we can consider.

So, who is in?

jmoore
tiretrax
Shortsocks
firerescuefin

There are a few more that I'm forgetting for sure.

Joachim
02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
If all of you show up at NAHBS, we can ride there too....:)

jlwdm
02-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I am in

Jeff

texbike
02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd be willing to make the drive up.

texbike

RedRider
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
NAHBS. Yes.

firerescuefin
02-03-2014, 01:41 PM
You know I'm in:beer:

Mike748
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Sounds like fun!

sworcester
02-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Might be possible depending on the place and route. Not real fast, but I have home brews if you guys want to end in Plano!

dmurphey
02-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Dude, come ride in FW. MBBC on FB.

Shortsocks
02-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Im in for sure. Count me in for a local Dallas ride. Sorry for not replying to this post earlier kicking myself for not...As for the Fort Worth Guys...cant EVER leave out Fort Worth cyclists. They are the chillest of the bunch. We could use some of that chill laid back attitude in D-Town for sure.

Hopefully the weather will heat up in a bit.
firerescuefin will soon be moving here. We need to welcome him for sure.

Maybe even get a few Rally rides together in the spring.

tiretrax
02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I hope to join in the fun. There are a few more folks around the DFW area. I hope the Austinites join us (and don't make fun of our BBQ).

Shortsocks
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM
You know I'm in:beer:

You know Firerescuefin....you will need to change your location to Fort Worth soon...what's this Denver stuff?!

firerescuefin
02-19-2014, 03:36 AM
Can't do the 22nd. March 15th would be great!

weisan
02-19-2014, 04:51 AM
I'd be willing to make the drive up.

texbike

Texbike-pal, take me with you, please. :banana:

texbike
02-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Can't do the 22nd. March 15th would be great!

The 15th then? I'm in.

Texbike-pal, take me with you, please. :banana:

Absolutely Wei. That would be great!

texbike

jmoore
02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Sounds like Mar 15 is the date. So it's set.

Time to start a bit of route planning and pick a meet up location.

White Rock Lake?
Joe Pool?
Ft Worth?
Plano?

Shortsocks
02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Sounds like Mar 15 is the date. So it's set.

Time to start a bit of route planning and pick a meet up location.

White Rock Lake?
Joe Pool?
Ft Worth?
Plano?

Im cool with White Rock...Because I live there now. But Im cool with Plano Too. Im vote for those two.

What kind of route are you thinking?

jmoore
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Im cool with White Rock...Because I live there now. But Im cool with Plano Too. Im vote for those two.

What kind of route are you thinking?

If we go with White Rock, I'm thinking a trails loop.

WRL to Santa Fe Trail to Deep Ellum across downtown to Katy Trail and back to the lake

We can detour to a malted beverage emporium when we get back to the lake. Maybe Goodfriends or Local Pour over on Garland Rd. & Peavy.

texbike
02-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Since Geoff is in the Mansfield area, what is South or Southwest of Mansfield ride wise? Anything that would get us out on roads "less-traveled"?

texbike

jmoore
02-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Since Geoff is in the Mansfield area, what is South or Southwest of Mansfield ride wise? Anything that would get us out on roads "less-traveled"?

texbike

Joe Pool Lake is down there. Good riding out that way.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Shortsocks
02-21-2014, 10:53 PM

texbike

I'm up for a roads less traveled ride as well. We can get those legs opened up a bit. Joe pool lake, I ride from Plano there and back with groups. It's about a 65-72 mile loop. But I'm awful with directions so that's my real reason for not getting dropped. Fear of being alone with an Italian road bike. :confused:

sworcester
02-22-2014, 05:59 PM
.. But I'm awful with directions so that's my real reason for not getting dropped. Fear of being alone with an Italian road bike. :confused:

Just fear of being dropped, but I'm in

firerescuefin
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Just fear of being dropped, but I'm in

Glad we're getting good participation. Arrived in Arlington (executive housing) today. Wife and kiddos fly in tomorrow.

Can't wait to get out and ride.

Shoot me a PM if your a local and want to get out sooner. I'm chomping at the bit :help:

Geoff

Shortsocks
02-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Ah man.
How exciting. Please don't judge DFW because of Arlington. :banana:
Welcome to Dallas.

(On a side note, you've changed your city to Fort Worth)

texbike
02-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Arrived in Arlington (executive housing) today.

Man, I just missed you! I was in Dallas yesterday.

(On a side note, you've changed your city to Fort Worth)

Very cool. Welcome to Texas! It's a good time of year to be here. :)

texbike

texbike
02-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Joe Pool Lake is down there. Good riding out that way.

I'm not super familiar with the area, but it seems that there's a lot of country roads headed South toward Hillsboro from Mansfield. Also to the West/Southwest toward Granbury and Glen Rose. Are you DFW guys familiar with rides in those areas?

texbike

jmoore
02-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm not super familiar with the area, but it seems that there's a lot of country roads headed South toward Hillsboro from Mansfield. Also to the West/Southwest toward Granbury and Glen Rose. Are you DFW guys familiar with rides in those areas?

texbike

I think any of those roads are fine down that way. There are lots of rallies in that area so should be easy to find a good route. I know several rroutes from Joe Pool so that's why I suggested it.

But I'm good with anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Shortsocks
02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
A heads up for anyone in DFW, firerescuefin and I are going for a couple of laps at white rock tomm. Pm me if you'd like to join.

tiretrax
02-27-2014, 04:57 PM
At what time? I could join late a.m. on my mtn bike (no road bike built at the moment).

Congrats on the move to White Rock, Ali. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with cars.

firerescuefin
03-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Let me know when (time of day) and meet up point. Looking forward to it.

jmoore
03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Details

Sat March 15, time TBD. How about 9am?

There is a place at Joe Pool Lake called the Overlook. It is essentially a parking lot for a hiking trail near the dam off of 1382. Here: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=XMR018-051

We can rollout across the dam, head towards Lake Ridge Parkway and out from there. Lots of options out that way.

If 9am doesn't work, then suggest a time.

tiretrax
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
sounds good to me. Just don't expect much from me - I haven't been riding much.

I've never been out there - do you have an address?

jmoore
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
sounds good to me. Just don't expect much from me - I haven't been riding much.

I've never been out there - do you have an address?

See if this works.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Joe+Pool+Lake/@32.6400426,-96.974741,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864e8beafb2dec47:0xaaf51b7062bdb 116

texbike
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Details

Sat March 15, time TBD. How about 9am?

There is a place at Joe Pool Lake called the Overlook. It is essentially a parking lot for a hiking trail near the dam off of 1382. Here: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=XMR018-051

We can rollout across the dam, head towards Lake Ridge Parkway and out from there. Lots of options out that way.

If 9am doesn't work, then suggest a time.

Sounds like a great plan. I look forward to meeting you guys!

Texbike

firerescuefin
03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys...see you Saturday!

Shortsocks
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I've got an antiquarian club meeting with the Mrs Saturday morning in Lake Highlands Sat morning. I'm going to try and get out of it. Damn. Don't know why I thought it was next weekend.

jmoore
03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
PS - I will likely NOT be on the Bedford.

My bike is f-ed up and will have to go back to Kelly for inspection and repaint. Thanks FedEx package handlers. :mad:

texbike
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
I've got an antiquarian club meeting with the Mrs Saturday morning in Lake Highlands Sat morning. I'm going to try and get out of it. Damn. Don't know why I thought it was next weekend.

I hope you can make it!

My bike is f-ed up and will have to go back to Kelly for inspection and repaint. Thanks FedEx package handlers. :mad:

That sucks. I'll be on the trusty/crusty old C40.

Texbike

Shortsocks
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM

What? How bad is it? Is FedEx covering it?

Joachim
03-10-2014, 12:23 PM

So the Bike Caddy didn't help?

jmoore
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
So the Bike Caddy didn't help?

The Air Caddy is great.

But when someone slices it open with a box cutter, pulls all the contents out, throws everything back in unsecured and tapes it back shut, it's not really an issue with the box.

Thanks FedEx Ground a-holes.

texbike
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
So, how's it looking for tomorrow for everyone?

There's a 40% chance of rain in the morning. Are we still on? I'm planning to head up that way (barring rain showers) about 6 a.m.

Cheers,

Texbike

jmoore
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
So, how's it looking for tomorrow for everyone?

There's a 40% chance of rain in the morning. Are we still on? I'm planning to head up that way (barring rain showers) about 6 a.m.

Cheers,

Texbike

I'm planning on riding.

I can ride in the rain but if it's too much for everyone else, we can reschedule if needed. I'm local so it's easy for me.

How many do we have?

And I'll be in a really dirty black Silverado crew cab. It has a white road bike decal on the back window. And I'm 6'5" so not easy to miss.

Shortsocks
03-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm planning on riding.

I can ride in the rain but if it's too much for everyone else, we can reschedule if needed. I'm local so it's easy for me.

How many do we have?

And I'll be in a really dirty black Silverado crew cab. It has a white road bike decal on the back window. And I'm 6'5" so not easy to miss.

It keeps on changing from 30%-80%.
As it stands I'm unfortunately out. More pressure from the wife than the rain...but I'm in for a sunnier day. If Tex is planing a ride from Austin we should prob have a cleaner day. :(

jmoore
03-14-2014, 11:35 AM
It keeps on changing from 30%-80%.
As it stands I'm unfortunately out. More pressure from the wife than the rain...but I'm in for a sunnier day. If Tex is planing a ride from Austin we should prob have a cleaner day. :(

Do we want to postpone until April sometime? Let the weather improve?

Shortsocks
03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Do we want to postpone until April sometime? Let the weather improve?

Sure. I'll be in NYC for a few days in late April.
Jmoore, you live near the lake right? I live extremely close to Dallas bikes works. We should ride next week. :bike:

jmoore
03-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Sure. I'll be in NYC for a few days in late April.
Jmoore, you live near the lake right? I live extremely close to Dallas bikes works. We should ride next week. :bike:

We can ride tomorrow AND in April. I'm fine with both. But I don't want people driving in from Austin only to get rained, and maybe hailed, on.

I ride by Dallas Bike Works on every ride. We can meet there next week. How about Tues evening? I'm trying to resurrect my Tues night group from last summer now that the time has changed.

texbike
03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
I talked with Weisan earlier and he is out as well. It looks like our numbers are dwindling.

Perhaps a punt to April is in order? :)

Texbike

jmoore
03-14-2014, 01:08 PM
I talked with Weisan earlier and he is out as well. It looks like our numbers are dwindling.

Perhaps a punt to April is in order? :)

Texbike

Unfortunately I think a punt to April is in order :(

So everyone look at their calendar and find a weekend in April and post it up.

weisan
03-14-2014, 04:30 PM
My sincere apology pals, totally let the date slipped my mind, didn't even talk to the commander-in-chief to get approval beforehand, so it was a no-show. But definitely, April sounds doable and this time, I will be sure to apply for advance leave. :banana:

tiretrax
03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
April is squirrely for me due to my children's activities. Plan it, and I'll try to make it work.

I went to visit fiends in Seattle one summer. The weather is usually beatiful in July - it rained the first three days I was there. We went out for a long ride the second day after waiting for a.m. showers broke and the sun came out. We set out, and the rain started again, but it was light. When we got to mile 30, it became a deluge. I was soaked through, even with a rain jacket. I could only think of Igor in Young Frankenstein saying "I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while."

jmoore
03-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I hope no one went to Joe Pool expecting a group this morning. I think we could have made it but we made a good call to postpone.

tiretrax
03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
I took one of my children to a volunteer event in S Dallas. Pretty murky out there, but no rain. Still, I was up too late getting another one from a concert last night. Not enough rest to ride to the end of the block, let alone keep up with a remuda of stallions.

texbike
03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I should have made the drive up. It's foggy and mucky here this morning. :(

Texbike

jmoore
03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I knocked out a few laps at White Rock this morning. I didn't get wet but its definitely coming.

And with my average speed today, I'm hardly a stallion :)

tiretrax
03-15-2014, 09:42 AM
I knocked out a few laps at White Rock this morning. I didn't get wet but its definitely coming.

And with my average speed today, I'm hardly a stallion :)

Well, we can nag each other.

tiretrax
03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I salvaged the day with five lbs. of deliciousness from Pecan Lodge BBQ.

Seattle rain now misting.

Shortsocks
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
I was going to do a couple of laps and it started to mist/rain at white rock. So wife and I are at white cock coffee. Drinking joe and she's on the computer. :bike:

Shortsocks
03-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I salvaged the day with five lbs. of deliciousness from Pecan Lodge BBQ.

Seattle rain now misting.

Damn it. I have yet to to there. What would you rank it BBQ wise in Dallas? I'd it worth the insane wait?

tiretrax
03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Damn it. I have yet to to there. What would you rank it BBQ wise in Dallas? I'd it worth the insane wait?

Without a doubt, it's #1. The brisket is as good, if not better, than anywhere else I've eaten. The trick is to get there early or order 5#, or more, at the express line. I did that and got home before it got lukewarm. My family was ecstatic. I think they're still in a meat coma. It's unusually quiet here.

Dallez
03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Without a doubt, it's #1. The brisket is as good, if not better, than anywhere else I've eaten. The trick is to get there early or order 5#, or more, at the express line. I did that and got home before it got lukewarm. My family was ecstatic. I think they're still in a meat coma. It's unusually quiet here.

I am not an expert, but it's #1 in my book as well. The rarity that actually lives up to the hype. I have only had it twice, but it was within 2 weeks of each other about 2 month ago and I have to agree that it is my favorite. The brisket is outstanding, as is the pit master sandwich.

jmoore
03-16-2014, 12:32 AM
I took the family to Ft Worth to see the Indiana Jones exhibit. Wouldn't you know it Railhead BBQ was on the same exit. 1lb ribs 1lb brisket 1 chopped sandwich and a lunch tray of fries. A+ and leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Will have to try Pecan Lodge soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')