PDA

View Full Version : cool manhattan bike shops?

yeehawfactor
01-29-2006, 07:15 PM
what are the cooler bike shops in manhattan? looking for unique and just all around cool.

loctite
01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
coming soon: Signature Cycles. Also check out Magic Cycles in Boone, NC ;)

yeehawfactor
01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
coming soon: Signiture Cycles. Also check out Magic Cycles in Boone, NC ;)
as a boone bike and touring employee, i must inform you that i will not be visiting magic cycles! :no:

loctite
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Ahhh, i see. I am from Morganton (Cycle-Logical) but i am now in Vermont! Have we met before?

yeehawfactor
01-29-2006, 07:46 PM
depends on how long you've been up there! i've worked at boone bike about a year now, so it is within the realm of possibility!

manet
01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
conrad's
sid's
toga

r + a cycles
(brooklyn)

loctite
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
depends on how long you've been up there! i've worked at boone bike about a year now, so it is within the realm of possibility!

Ive been up here about a year now, I raced the boone crit for years and am pretty good friends with Dean and Vicky Lyons among others. Have fun in Manhattan, and try to check out SS if possible.

andy mac
01-29-2006, 08:05 PM
there's a good one on 5th ave in park slope, brooklyn, just a short subway ride away. tons of high end bikes but a grumpy bunch of employees. the name escapes me at the moment. :crap: i think it's R & A at 105 th.

sadly i haven't seen much in manhattan that impresses me.

cheers,

andy.

itsflantastic
01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
it's in Sunset Park on 7th ave. and 46th (47th?)
It's called Mr. C's. They have 2 stories filled with tons of great stuff at great prices, and also have a LOT of high end road/mtn. stuff. Aside from the usual Trek/Specialized/Cannondale,
They have Casati and Ciocc and DeBernardi and Bianchi and a whole slew of Italian old school road bikes in the basement (all of which tend to be just a bit to small for me).
To top it all off, the owner, Carlos, and his whole staff are very knowledgable and friendly.
They do a great job of bike fitting too. 50 bucks for a fitting, which is a 6 month long fitting, because your riding style needs time to develop.
Anyway. . .check it out sometime.
-dan

Climb01742
01-30-2006, 05:28 AM
r+a really does have the grumpiest employees. i've been in there twice, and not one employee ever said a word to me. conrad's is very euro-centric. and though it's been years, toga always struck me as the most regular rider friendly shop of the bunch.

jeffg
01-30-2006, 06:18 AM
but my opinion was that NYC shops are fairly lame, with a low customer service quotient.

I remember being somewhat baffled after coming from SF with shops like City Cycles or Palo Alto Bikes, and hearing many folks saying that they went to NJ for most major purchases ...

wanderingwheel
01-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Bike Works, http://www.bikecult.com/works/

01-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Paul and Grant have opened the premier cycling shop in NYC- it is open and ready for business. Give Signature a call and set up an appt.

www.signaturecycles.com

80 West End Ave

I believe that is it Near TOGA.

I just got my new ride from Paul and the customer service is second to no one.