PDA

View Full Version : OT: One man's dying wish...An Eternal Ride

retrofit
02-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Ohio man buried astride beloved Harley motorcycle (http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Ohio-man-buried-astride-beloved-Harley-motorcycle-5192593.php#photo-5807379) :eek:

Would you wish to be buried in full kit astride your favorite Serotta, Pegoretti, or custom-built ride for your ultimate hammer-fest?

MattTuck
02-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I told my parents that if I ever died, to come to this forum to get rid of my Kirk.

I don't understand the idea of being buried with stuff. Does this guy have the delusion that you're an Egyptian Pharoah? It seems incredibly selfish and egocentric. Why not give his stuff to family and friends and let them enjoy it, and remember him after you're gone? Same goes for Jewelry... what good is it doing in the ground?

This may be because I'm not much of a believer in an afterlife, and I'd prefer to be cremated... but to each, his own.

gdw
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
No. I want a Viking funeral with the works... burning ship, human sacrifice, etc.

Nags&Ducs
02-01-2014, 12:05 PM
No. I want a Viking funeral with the works... burning ship, human sacrifice, etc.

Me too!!!

EPOJoe
02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
This may be because I'm not much of a believer in an afterlife, and I'd prefer to be cremated... but to each, his own.

I'm a strong believer in the afterlife, and this still seems like a waste of perfectly good stuff. You're not going to be able to use this stuff where you're going, afterlife or not.

I've always thought this would be what I would want also, sans the human sacrifice, and you can leave my dog out of it, too. Probably only possible if you had lots of private land with your own lake, and even then you'd have to keep the thing "hush-hush".

EPOJoe
02-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Me too!!!

Hmm...maybe there's a business opportunity here?

cachagua
02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
"The Viking Funeral", that should be something you order at a Norse-themed burger drive-in.

The waitresses wear shiny, pointed helmets with horns on 'em, as they roller-skate out to your car.

Black Dog
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
You have it all wrong. I will be buried in the heart of a massive pyramid. Bikes, tools, spares, mechanics, support staff etc. all along side me. When I get to the other side I want to be ready to ride.

Seriously, stuff is stuff, get it to the next person who will need and appreciate it. Fear of death, delusions of an afterlife, and vanity make for some seriously weird cultural practices.

bikinchris
02-01-2014, 06:19 PM

The Viking series on the History channel will start again at the end of February. I was in Norway last summer and talked to someone about it. He said they get it and no, it wasn't even loosely based on anything real. It's fun anyway.

choke
02-01-2014, 10:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBvPcCZcZCI

:)

avalonracing
02-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Sounds like an interesting guy and you have to appreciate a family that follows through. As for burying the motorbike I kind of like the concept of one less Harley on the road.

mike p
02-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Can anyone say grave robbers?

Mike

oldpotatoe
02-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Ohio man buried astride beloved Harley motorcycle (http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Ohio-man-buried-astride-beloved-Harley-motorcycle-5192593.php#photo-5807379) :eek:

Would you wish to be buried in full kit astride your favorite Serotta, Pegoretti, or custom-built ride for your ultimate hammer-fest?

Many paths, same destination, I think the gent's memory would be better served by having this m/c be part of his legacy, ridden by some family member but, his motorcycle.

SamIAm
02-03-2014, 07:38 AM
This scripture seems apt:

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

christian
02-03-2014, 07:49 AM
I hope they drained the oil and gas. You know, for the alien archeologists.

Spinner
02-03-2014, 10:08 AM
… a few ashes within a buddy's (or son's, daughter's, partner's) bike frame, golf club shaft or hockey stick, whatever works …

MadRocketSci
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
wife's been instructed with the following:

1) cremation
2) put stuff inside empty 3-unit cubesat structure, sans electronics, solar panels, etc
3) launch into space with the next cubesat launch in low polar orbit with about a one year estimated natural deorbit time

no bikes

eippo1
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Good thing he didn't ask to be buried astride his wife. That might have made things a bit more difficult. :eek: