PDA

View Full Version : OT: Buying a high mileage Toyota Sequoia

indyrider
01-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Hey auto fans...Looking to trade in my 05 Toyota Tundra truck for the same vintage SUV counterpart, the Sequoia. My Tundra has 178000 miles and still going strong and looking to get into something with similar miles, nothing special, just dont use the truck bed much anymore.

Ive got a line on a well maintained, 06 Sequoia with 250,000 miles but extensive documentation of maintenance history. Price is right, but obviously things could go wrong at any time with all those miles. Buying a used car is usually a crap shoot anyway, so when is high miles too high?

avalonracing
01-31-2014, 08:31 AM
It depends on the price and condition. I have a friend with a 2001 4Runner with 300,000K miles on the clock. He is not shy about wringing the crap out of the engine but the vehicle itself is the best maintained 4Runner on the planet as my friend has OCD. (Yes, really... for example he cleans the entire underside of the truck with WD-40 each month and did things like clear coat his new Bilstien shocks before he put them on.) That said, the engine is all original without any rebuilds (just oil changes and timing belts) and the truck still rides like it is new. His truck is the reason that I bought my '98 Runner and he doesn the work on it.

The Sequoia is nice but it is big and sucks fuel even worse than the 4Runner so if it is going to be a daily driver for a long commute it will get expensive. But if the oil was changed and all the maintenance was done that sucker could go for hundreds of thousands of more miles.

pbarry
01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
You might do better selling the Tundra yourself, then buying a used SUV with fewer miles. Toyota trucks have really high resale value, at least in CO. There's a mid-2000's Tundra on the Boulder CL going for $10k with 223,000 miles...

I'd avoid the high mileage Sequoia, even if it's been well-maintained, it will nickel and dime you for the rest of its life. JMO after owning a dozen cars, from Toyotas to Volvos to Fords, that I bought with 180k+ miles on them.

sixgears
01-31-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have an '05 Tacoma that's still going strong (relatively young @ 99000 miles) but things are starting to rust off on it so I've been thinking of getting a ridiculously-sized SUV to be able to fit a family of six.

I think over 200K is pushing it on the miles but, I don't know what your local conditions are like. This winter has been a bit brutal and I know all the road salt is taking its toll on my undercarriage among other parts.

If this is for a cheap beater and the price is right, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you get all the details about any issues, impending or otherwise.

biker72
01-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Too many miles especially if you live anywhere in the rust belt.

HenryA
01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Biggest problem I see with the Sequoia is that it might be near time for a timing belt. (every 90K miles I think, check your manual) Depending on where you have it done, it'll run $1000 to $1500. You may have already thought of this since you have the same motor in your truck.

I have a year older Tundra than yours with about same mileage and fully expect it to go many, many more. Other than gas mileage, its about the perfect truck.

I would not be afraid of the Sequoia with 250K on it if it has recently had a timing belt, or if the price reflects the cost of you doing it after you buy it. There's not much that goes wrong on these vehicles. And I don't recall anyone who owned one ever saying any different.

AngryScientist
01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
250K is a lot of miles, and the question depends on a lot of variables. mainly price and condition. personally that is just too many miles for me to buy a truck that i dont know the maintenance history of.

rust could be a serious, and hidden issue, also, that's a pretty heavy vehicle, and if the suspension components, ball joints, etc are wearing, it could be a major expense to fix, and a major safety concern if left unchecked.

texbike
01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Great thread! I'm currently looking for the "right" 3rd gen 4Runner (1997-2002) to come along to replace my e90 as a daily driver. I'm also keeping an eye out for an earlier (6 cylinder) FJ90 as another option.

It's amazing the mileage that you see on these cars and the prices that are still being asked.

Texbike

William
01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
When we were in Oregon last summer my sister-in-law let is use her Sequoia. We drove all over the place in that rig. I liked it a lot. I even started looking into them as a possible family oriented rig. Make sure you check the recalls because some years had frame issues. If you find one that has all the paperwork and the frame was replaced under recall...then maybe. The frame recalls also applied to other models as well so do your homework. I'm an old Landcruiser guy so I don't have issues with older vehicles. You just really have to look them over, make sure it was well maintained, and search the internet for recall or user issues and look into those issues when checking out vehicles.

William

redir
01-31-2014, 10:19 AM
I always buy used cars and personally that would be too high mileage for me. Plus that thing will cost you a fortune in gas.

Walter
01-31-2014, 10:25 AM
It is all about how it was driven and maintained and it is rare that a new buyer really knows those things.

Even if that was all good, things just start happening at higher mileages (ps pumps, ac compressors, alternators, etc.) that can be costly. The core may be spot on, but the ancillary systems may well need massaging.

If it were for a third car, mountain car, etc., and not a daily driver, it would be more attractive.

Buddy of mine had one and sent it down the road due to terrible gas mileage.

My Lexus RX 330 (bought new) is now 10 model years old and has 170K on the clock. I will drive it for many more miles. They o last....

Liv2RideHard
01-31-2014, 10:51 AM
If you want to stay in a Yota, I would look for well cared for Land Cruiser (80 or 100) or a GX470. Them Sequoia's are awful big, not that the LC or GX will do much better on fuel.

pbarry
01-31-2014, 10:55 AM
The mid 2000's Saturn Vue with the (Honda!) V6 engine are nice vehicles and underrated/undervalued. Good mpg for an SUV.

cookietom
01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Biggest problem I see with the Sequoia is that it might be near time for a timing belt. (every 90K miles I think, check your manual) Depending on where you have it done, it'll run $1000 to $1500. You may have already thought of this since you have the same motor in your truck.

I have a year older Tundra than yours with about same mileage and fully expect it to go many, many more. Other than gas mileage, its about the perfect truck.

I would not be afraid of the Sequoia with 250K on it if it has recently had a timing belt, or if the price reflects the cost of you doing it after you buy it. There's not much that goes wrong on these vehicles. And I don't recall anyone who owned one ever saying any different.

I agreed.

indyrider
01-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Great personal feedback...this was an execs rig that he drove about 40k a year and at least from the pics, bolstered by the maintenance records, it seems solid. Prefer a LC 80 or 100 model but leg room isn't sufficient for my 36" inseam and the 3rd row jump seats are a bit cramped. Pickins are good so maybe I'll just bide my time, sell the Tundra for more than trade value, and roll into a sequoia from there....

Link to the one in interested in:

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicle-details.php?id=733&sold=&year=&make=Toyota&model=&pr_id=&search=&page=1

William
01-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Great personal feedback...this was an execs rig that he drove about 40k a year and at least from the pics, bolstered by the maintenance records, it seems solid. Prefer a LC 80 or 100 model but leg room isn't sufficient for my 36" inseam and the 3rd row jump seats are a bit cramped. Pickins are good so maybe I'll just bide my time, sell the Tundra for more than trade value, and roll into a sequoia from there....

Link to the one in interested in:

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicle-details.php?id=733&sold=&year=&make=Toyota&model=&pr_id=&search=&page=1

Looks nice though there is a bit of surface rust (as far as I can tell from the photos) under there. Really check that out if you are serious. I would crawl under there with a screw driver and a flashlight and start poking the frame in different places to make sure there are no soft spots. If it's all good, I would fluid film the crap out of that frame inside and out (in the body panels as well).

Good luck!:)

William

AngryScientist
01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
maybe your threshhold of pain is better than mine, but IMO $10k is a lot of money to pay for a truck with 1/4 million miles on the clock.

it's my experience that 250k is about EOL (End of life), or close to any vehicle without major repairs. we've all heard stories of people who push toyota, honda even BMW into the 300's, but realistically, at best you're looking at 50k miles before something big breaks. just something to think about.

William
01-31-2014, 12:53 PM
maybe your threshhold of pain is better than mine, but IMO $10k is a lot of money to pay for a truck with 1/4 million miles on the clock.

it's my experience that 250k is about EOL (End of life), or close to any vehicle without major repairs. we've all heard stories of people who push toyota, honda even BMW into the 300's, but realistically, at best you're looking at 50k miles before something big breaks. just something to think about.

Over 300K on the old LC60! It just goes and goes!:)

William

AngryScientist
01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Over 300K on the old LC60! It just goes and goes!:)

William

right, that truck is a classic. it would just worry me with a truck like the OP is considering, how many more computer controlled sensors are in the engine and transmission management system. also, automatic transmissions hold gremlins that bite, especially when they get old.

merlinmurph
01-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Gulp - $10K ??? Not sure I would pay half that.

Liv2RideHard
01-31-2014, 01:11 PM
After looking at the undercarriage pics...stay away. Looks like some frame rot man. That is trouble. I would not go near it man. Nice truck and all, very clean, but the frame is definitely rotting. Keep looking. They are out there, plenty of them.

AngryScientist
01-31-2014, 01:13 PM
After looking at the undercarriage pics...stay away. Looks like some frame rot man. That is trouble. I would not go near it man. Nice truck and all, very clean, but the frame is definitely rotting. Keep looking. They are out there, plenty of them.

i think the fact that it says an exec drove it 40k a year "all over the midwest" tells you all you need to know about how much salt that undercarriage has seen...

nahtnoj
01-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Yep. And that thing doesn't have the same engine as the UZJ100 everyone is telling the OP to buy. I wouldn't hesitate to by a well maintained UZJ with 250K, but a Sequoia is nearing the end of the road with that mileage.

HenryA
01-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Bottom looks pretty rusty to me.
But that might be standard for vehicles up north.
Down here that would definitely be a problem.

What is the KBB value on such a vehicle?

Maybe a car buying road trip to the sunny south is in order.

tiretrax
01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
I'd get one from a southern state so the road salt wouldn't be an issue. The rust in the underbody is a concern for me, too.

My Lexus has 233,000 on it - just had the oil changed today. My next car will be a Toyota product, too - probably a Tundra because my children want me to get a truck (for them to drive when they get their license).

William
01-31-2014, 10:33 PM
If its just surface rust, it's no big deal as long as you treat it. But you will have to check it out if you're serious about it. Otherwise, move along to something else.

William

stev0
02-01-2014, 02:09 AM
FWIW, my 03' 280k mi Sequoia hasn't encountered any issues other than standard maintenance. But I wouldn't expect it to fetch much more than 7k on the market.

I would be concerned about that rust.

spierfalls
02-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm on my third Land Cruiser and have had the best of luck with all the major components. A few things here and there like an alternator, starter, and a sensor or two but nothing to big. The IH8Mud.com forum is great place for learning about the good and the bad related to Toyota Trucks. It covers everything.
Yeah they do pretty poorly on gas but if you buy them right they seem to hold their value over the long haul. I personally like the Land Cruiser years 98-2000. Many of them come with the locking diffs and have a solid feel going down the road.

p nut
02-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Great to see LC owners here. I have a 2000 with 160k miles. Everything runs great and have had zero issues. This 4.7 V8 is one of Toyota's best, in my opinion. Put 33's on and she goes everywhere I want.

I like the Sequoia's, too, but that one's overpriced.

indyrider
02-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Yep its overpriced at what they're asking but I was able to whittle it down to 7k, however I have decided to pass. Thinking Im going to continue looking for a LC 80 or pick up one of the lower mileage Toyotas...Anyone here care to comment on the driver leg room of the 80?

thanks for the input-good thread

p nut
02-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Didn't you say in the previous post that you didn't fit in 80 or 100? From my experience, legroom is about the same. But there are mods to change out the seat rails and increase legroom in the 80.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/355600-increase-driver-leg-room.html

I've had my 100 for a number of years now and it's just a joy to drive. Everything is so solid. Still not a squeak or rattle.

There are a ton of 80 vs 100 debates, but basically, you'll be more comfortable driving in the 100, and it's much more powerful with the V8 vs I6. For rock crawling capabilities, 80 wins. So depends on your intended usage.

03+ 4Runners are also about the same size, so I'd look at those, too.

William
02-02-2014, 09:55 AM
I can't directly comment on the leg room of and 80 or 100 but my 60 is fine for my 6' 6" frame. I would imaging the 80 would be pretty similar.

I second on the mud forum. Great info there on all Toys!

William