PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vermont ski situation

CNY rider
01-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Here's the scenario: Your day starts near Albany.
You need to end up in Waterbury Vermont by evening.
You're driving with your 5 and 4 year olds and you want to break up the drive by stopping somewhere to downhill ski for a few hours.
The kids have been on skis before but are still beginners.

Places I have identified that make sense, at least geographically: Mt. Snow and Killington.
Would you choose one over the other? Somewhere else entirely?

Thanks.

MattTuck
01-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Magic Mountain (http://www.magicmtn.com/) is tossed around as an "under-rated" ski area... so depending on lift ticket price, you may want to check it out.

echelon_john
01-31-2014, 05:50 AM
Bromley. Great mountain, smaller crowds, less grumpy staff than Mt Snow! (They're kind of legendary)

echelon_john
01-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Magic is cool, btw, but the chairlift (they only have one running currently) is deadly slow. 19 min to the top. So that would severely limit the number of runs you'll get in 3hrs. My daughter had a race there last weekend; compared to Bromley Magic doesn't have too much terrain open. Cool bar, though!

verticaldoug
01-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Are you taking 87 up to 4 then across to Rutland?

Why not try PICO? It is right on the way, smaller and most people keep going to Killington.

All you need is a little beginner/intermediate terrain. It is also about smack in the middle of the trip.

Otherwise, I'd just keep driving to Sugarbush and ski there.

tele
01-31-2014, 06:19 AM
Magic is definitely a cool place but I wouldn't call it a beginner area and with this years lack of snow I'm not sure how the skiing is.

You can come up Rt100 to Sugarbush and ski here. This is our "home" area and there is lots of great stuff for kids. It is a little longer of a drive in the beginning but much shorter at the end of the day.

CNY rider
01-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Are you taking 87 up to 4 then across to Rutland?

Why not try PICO? It is right on the way, smaller and most people keep going to Killington.

All you need is a little beginner/intermediate terrain. It is also about smack in the middle of the trip.

Otherwise, I'd just keep driving to Sugarbush and ski there.

I can either go across southern VT to Mt. Snow, then after skiing up the highway via Brattleboro
or
Up to 4 and ski Pico/Killington.
Does Pico have a good area for kids and beginners?

CNY rider
01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Magic is definitely a cool place but I wouldn't call it a beginner area and with this years lack of snow I'm not sure how the skiing is.

You can come up Rt100 to Sugarbush and ski here. This is our "home" area and there is lots of great stuff for kids. It is a little longer of a drive in the beginning but much shorter at the end of the day.

The drive to Sugarbush would be pushing the kids limits.
I would rather ski earlier because then I think they will fall asleep for the rest of the trip.
Thanks for the idea though.

tv_vt
01-31-2014, 06:36 AM
Mt Snow seems way out of the way to me.

For something different, what about the Middlebury College Snow Bowl on Rt 125 (get to drive up Middlebury Gap as a bonus!)? It's open to the public. Then drive over the Gap down to Rt 100 and then north to Waterbury.

Okemo is also a possibility, or Pico.

verticaldoug
01-31-2014, 07:28 AM
I can either go across southern VT to Mt. Snow, then after skiing up the highway via Brattleboro
or
Up to 4 and ski Pico/Killington.
Does Pico have a good area for kids and beginners?

It's a small area to the right on the hill.

My thought process is with 4/5 yr olds, just getting the children dressed and to the base of the mountain can be a real production. I suggest PICO because the parking is small and it is compact area so you don't need to be schlepping all over. I assume you just need a short almost flat run as I doubt the children want to bomb from the top.

If the tubing park is open at Killington, maybe you just want to go inner tubing. Less equipment and not as big a production.

Do the children have their own skis and boots or will you be renting? If you need to rent, I'd just go tubing.

tele
01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Pico is a good choice for the smaller size, plus Rt100 is just down the street. The other advantage of Pico or Middlebury Snow Bowl is the reduced cost if you are going to be out there for just a couple of hours. They are not nearly as costly as Kmart, Mt Sneux or daBush.

katematt
01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Suicide 6 outside of Woodstock can be fun. Lots of runs, small crowds and great low key lodge. Not a lot of vertical however. Took my kids there a little older than yours and had a blast. Killington for that age just too big, and too many people.

CNY rider
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM
It's a small area to the right on the hill.

My thought process is with 4/5 yr olds, just getting the children dressed and to the base of the mountain can be a real production. I suggest PICO because the parking is small and it is compact area so you don't need to be schlepping all over. I assume you just need a short almost flat run as I doubt the children want to bomb from the top.

If the tubing park is open at Killington, maybe you just want to go inner tubing. Less equipment and not as big a production.

Do the children have their own skis and boots or will you be renting? If you need to rent, I'd just go tubing.

My wife and I have our own gear, we are renting for the kids.
Tubing would be fun too but the kids are psyched for skiing with us.
Great suggestions from many people.
Pico really sounds good.
Do Suicide Six/ Middlebury have kid friendly lifts/areas?

Mr. Pink
01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah, Killington in this situation is like going to a huge buffet when you only want a quick lunch. Okemo, too, even. Stay with the smaller places, like Pico or Middlebury, but, don't go too small, since you need a good, well stocked, and competent rental shop.

Buzz Killington
01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
The easiest thing to do is take them to West Mtn, tire them out and do the drive to VT while they're sleeping. West may not be that great, but it'll do for kids that age.

mod6
01-31-2014, 09:48 AM
I would also recommend Pico. As a Killington season pass holder and a parent, the weekend can be a little unsafe at killington due to crowds even on snowshed. Weekday's at Killington on the other hand would be great. Pretty sure the lift ticket is free for the 4 and 5 year old at either Killington or Pico. At Pico there is a lot of nice runs for young kids off the Golden express quad. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about either.

merlinmurph
01-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Coming across rte 4, Killington and Pico are right there. Don't know what days you plan on skiing, but keep in mind that Pico is only open Thursday thru Monday.

If you head north from there, you've got the areas others have mentioned - Middlebury, 'Bush, etc.

There isn't much for snow this year, so I don't know how the smaller areas are right now - is MRG even open? The areas with more $$$ have spent some on snowmaking. Otherwise, we wouldn't be skiing.

Have a blast with the family, and you're a great dad taking them skiing.

pkeibel
01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
The fastest way to Waterbury from Albany would be up the Thruway or Rt 22A and then I89 to Waterbury. Your least out of the way stop would then be Middlebury Ski Bowl. Less crowds, probably better snow, due to the elevation. Short trip from Rochester then up to Waterbury. Killington, Pico would put you on Route 100 for a very long time with no good stops on the way. Mt. Snow is too much out of your way.

echelon_john
01-31-2014, 01:07 PM
I was in Middlebury last night and there's very little snow in town; not sure what the snowmaking capacity is up on the hill but I suspect the bigger resorts might be a better bet in a thin snow year like this.

thegunner
01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
as an aside, does this mean the riding in the area is nice right now for skinny tires? i've been told the roads near killington aren't always very accessible, so i figured i'd ask :)

Mr. Pink
01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
as an aside, does this mean the riding in the area is nice right now for skinny tires? i've been told the roads near killington aren't always very accessible, so i figured i'd ask :)

Oh, lord no. Unless you like to punish yourself.

Mr. Pink
01-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I was in Middlebury last night and there's very little snow in town; not sure what the snowmaking capacity is up on the hill but I suspect the bigger resorts might be a better bet in a thin snow year like this.

Yes, a year like this makes one appreciate a good snowmaking hill. Or cheap flights to Colorado.

echelon_john
01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Main roads like 7 and 100 might be passable to ride, but while there's not that much snow, the constant very cold temps have kept side roads icy. I would not recommend road riding here right now. Rent a fat bike and go out in the woods if you need a fix?

thegunner
01-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Main roads like 7 and 100 might be passable to ride, but while there's not that much snow, the constant very cold temps have kept side roads icy. I would not recommend road riding here right now. Rent a fat bike and go out in the woods if you need a fix?

i'll be heading out to killington end of february :-/ was hoping to get some climbing in. i see now that this is a horrible idea.

Mr. Pink
01-31-2014, 01:48 PM
i'll be heading out to killington end of february :-/ was hoping to get some climbing in. i see now that this is a horrible idea.

Well, if this snow drought continues, and temps go above normal, maybe not. I know a few people who bring their bikes up in March. But, now? No way.

tele
01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Coming across rte 4, Killington and Pico are right there. Don't know what days you plan on skiing, but keep in mind that Pico is only open Thursday thru Monday.

If you head north from there, you've got the areas others have mentioned - Middlebury, 'Bush, etc.

There isn't much for snow this year, so I don't know how the smaller areas are right now - is MRG even open? The areas with more $$$ have spent some on snowmaking. Otherwise, we wouldn't be skiing.

Have a blast with the family, and you're a great dad taking them skiing.

Murph and OP

daBush has been cranking snow so far and the skiing hasnt been all bad, just groomers; but now no more bull:
http://www.skitheeast.net/ste-snowcast-1-30-14-l-want-more-snow-good-news/

I feel a sick day or two coming this week...

As far as road riding, there is so much ····· on the roads right now I wouldnt even consider it. Remember, February is the snowiest month in Vt.

Hardlyrob
01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
I agree with the other votes for Pico - small-ish, manageable with small kids - stay away from Killington - just too big.
We were at Okemo last weekend, and they had great snow - all man made however. 91 of 120 trails open and all 19 lifts running Sat & Sunday.
Have Fun!

Rob

verticaldoug
01-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Well, if this snow drought continues, and temps go above normal, maybe not. I know a few people who bring their bikes up in March. But, now? No way.

now with the yen back at 102, you all need to book flights to Niseko in Hokkaido. It is massive and will be the best powder experience of your life. (This includes heliski)

CNY rider
01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the great advice.
Pico it shall be!