PDA

View Full Version : Bibshorts-Castelli Free Aero, Rapha Lightweight opinions?

tv_vt
01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Both of these on sale, so am curious about PF experiences. I have a pair of Rapha Classic bibs and Castelli Nanoflex bibs. I like both. The pad of the Rapha is a great long-distance pad - the Lightweight bib has a thinner pad, so not apples to apples there. Different pad on the two Castelli shorts, too.

Any comments appreciated.

gavingould
01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
i have Rapha Classic and Lightweight bib shorts. the Lightweight is definitely a little thinner pad, perforated which is nice in the heat. on really long rides it can be slightly less comfortable.

no experience with the Castelli.

tv_vt
01-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Did you end up getting the Lightweight shorts in the same size as the Classics?

HOW MUCH less comfortable is the Lightweight pad?:) Sorry to be picky, but I really like the Classic pad, too, and wonder what I'd be giving up with the LW pad.

Thanks.

billium
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Own several pairs of Free Aero Race bibs, they are by far my favorite. Couple issues you should be aware of:

First, some people don't like the fit of the "Progetto" pad (diaper like is what I've heard). The pad fits me well and is my go-to bib for longer rides.

Second, the "Free Aero" name supposedly comes from the fact that the bib is cut very low in the front in the notion that they won't restrict your breathing. Great theory, but the cut-out tends to bunch your gut up and push it forward (where there's no fabric). I'm fairly lean (6', 150 lbs), and I can look like I've let myself go with the combination of these bibs and a tight, race cut jersey.

Even on sale, the Free Aero's can be spendy enough, so I can't make a comparison vs. anything Rapha.

FlashUNC
01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

HOW MUCH less comfortable is the Lightweight pad?:) Sorry to be picky, but I really like the Classic pad, too, and wonder what I'd be giving up with the LW pad.

Thanks.

I can't speak to the Lightweight shorts, but if the pad is anything like the pad in their Pro Team bibs, it's noticeably thinner than the Classic bibs. I prefer the classic chamois personally over the thinner one, which is a bit more Castelli-like in thickness and fit for my gooch anyways.

gavingould
01-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks.
i got same size in both, XL. the leg gripper area on the LWs is definitely more snug, in fact on mine i'm seeing a lot of little elastic whiskers broken out. i have a case of thick legs. considering contacting their warranty dept, though there's been no change in performance.
re: the pad... if it's hot out, say 85F+, i prefer the LW. less sweaty, less spongy. all things being equal, i guess i'd say the LW is 80-85% as comfortable as the Classic. YMMV

tv_vt
01-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Nobody else using either of these bibs?

rwsaunders
01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
I was looking at the Rapha bibs and then Excel sent out an Assos sale notice for the Mille ($189 shipped) and Uno ($139 shipped )bibs.