PDA

View Full Version : car bike rack, bike protection??

BlackTiBob
01-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi,
I've always been able to transport my bike inside vehicle but for trip from MN to AZ it looks like the only option is outside on a Saris generic trunk rack.
It has 4 rubber feet and straps onto trunk of a sedan.

Any ideas of how to totally encase bike to keep off all salt/slop/ winter nastiness?
I was thinking of total wrap with clear Saran wrap. It needs to cover bike and
not flap in the breeze.

I may be able to put one wheel in the trunk in a wheel bag. If I'm really lucky
maybe both wheels will fit in trunk and I'll only have frame/fork on bike rack.

Thanks for any ideas/ suggestions. what have you done in the past that worked well?

Black Dog
01-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Soap and Water at your destination.

Vinci
01-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Anything you wrap the bike with, short of wrapping every tube individually, will turn it into a sail.

If you're worried about getting crud in your bearings/drivetrain, you could just wrap up that, I guess. Otherwise, just clean it thoroughly when you get where you're going.

Admiral Ackbar
01-28-2014, 02:34 PM
just break it down to the frame and pack it in the car if you're really that worried

Lewis Moon
01-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Anything you wrap the bike with, short of wrapping every tube individually, will turn it into a sail.

If you're worried about getting crud in your bearings/drivetrain, you could just wrap up that, I guess. Otherwise, just clean it thoroughly when you get where you're going.

This. If it looks to be a crappy drive you might spooge a little grease into the places where gahk could enter. Otherwise, just lube it and rack it.

stien
01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
+1 to lube, rack, and wash later. I don't see the bearings getting trashed especially if they aren't moving ie tie the wheels so they don't spin.

pinkshogun
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
mildy releated...i used a Saris 3 bike rack to travel from RI to Missouri. great rack, didnt move at all

technicolor
01-28-2014, 06:47 PM

ryanmasin
01-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Another vote to wash it up when you arrive!

Mr. Pink
01-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Buy a good airline ready Trico clamshell bike box (every biker should have one), pack bike into box, which now is nice and compact and protected from any kind of harm, strap bike box to roof. You're welcome.

I cringe when I see bikes and skis hanging off of the backs of cars in bad weather. Both are too expensive to be treated like that.

stien
01-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Buy a good airline ready Trico clamshell bike box (every biker should have one), pack bike into box, which now is nice and compact and protected from any kind of harm, strap bike box to roof. You're welcome.

Not a bad option. I do have one of those. Not sure it's waterproof though!